Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

On One Inbred vs SC Chameleon vs. Voodoo Wanga

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  mtsinglespeed 
#1 ·
I'd like to begin singlespeed and I'm very undecided among these bikes.
What do you think?
I'm waiting for your suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Gian

#2 ·
I always loved VooDoo's, and the Wanga is really nice indeed. I'd get the Dambala though. In medium sizes I totally dig it's geometry.

A true On-One fan too, but I'd get the Inbred 29 with matching rigid fork. Promises to be really special!

SC Chameleon is almost mainstream, so I'd look at the Ventana El Commandante. :)

Sorry I'm not of any help today. From that list, go Wanga.

#8 ·
Wanga is steel

The down tube sys "Reynolds 631" whatever the heck that means. It's a pretty nice riding frame. My only beff is that the head tube seems a little tall (that's a Marzocci MX comp 105 mm fork). It doesn't handle like it has a slack head angle though. I don't know what the angle is with that fork. That Zoke is a bit longer than the fox 100 rlt on my Hammerhead. The sliding dropouts work fine and there is plenty of clearance for those Mutano 2.4s Here she is....

Attachments

#9 ·
Very nice bike!
I read that wanga fits well with 4' fork.
Now, the new Inbred fits with 4' - 5' forks and has the sliding dropouts, exactly as the wanga.
So, the main difference seems to be the price!
I'm thinking to buy the new inbred...
This is my tendential assembly:
Inbred SD
Mx comp eta 2006
cranks shimano xt
v brakes shimano xt
headset wtb momentum
stem thomson
seatpost and handlebar (low riser) easton ea70
wheels ?

Hi

#11 ·
I love my Inbred

Of course I do - I own it , right? Well, it's been a great frame. I ride a 19" unsually and since they only came in 18 and 20, I had to risk it on an 18. I was able to get a smaller size (18") bacause the top tubes are so long so it fit's great and is a little easier to throw around. So - the long top tube was a big plus for me. The Santa Cruz is very stiff (my buddy has one) and has good excelleration but I think it would be too stiff for me being full rigid and all. I think you can't go wrong with the On One, if you like the geometry.

Attachments

#12 ·
Wow, very beautiful bike!
I like the bike with sloop and the geometry of the Inbred seems to be slooping.
About the new model Inbred SD there's not in the manifacturer's web site a geometry chart, but I heard that this is very similar to the classic model.
In any case I'd prefere the 26er.
Ciao!
Gian

#13 ·
gian70 said:
Wow, very beautiful bike!
I like the bike with sloop and the geometry of the Inbred seems to be slooping.
About the new model Inbred SD there's not in the manifacturer's web site a geometry chart, but I heard that this is very similar to the classic model.
In any case I'd prefere the 26er.
Ciao!
Gian
I really must get around to sorting out a geometry chart, but you're right - the geometry is close to the classic frame, but now takes 4/5in forks, rather than 3/4in forks.

We've also just released info about our complete bikes, that will be landing at the end of November. £450, with shipping expected to be £50 to the USA. So that's £500 (around $875) for a complete bike, based around our sliding dropout frame, with Truvativ Stylo GXP cranks, disc brake ready SS sealed bearing hubs and lots of other nice stuff - in 26in or 29in wheel sizes.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/page83.html

#14 ·
brant@on-one.co.uk said:
I really must get around to sorting out a geometry chart, but you're right - the geometry is close to the classic frame, but now takes 4/5in forks, rather than 3/4in forks.

We've also just released info about our complete bikes, that will be landing at the end of November. £450, with shipping expected to be £50 to the USA. So that's £500 (around $875) for a complete bike, based around our sliding dropout frame, with Truvativ Stylo GXP cranks, disc brake ready SS sealed bearing hubs and lots of other nice stuff - in 26in or 29in wheel sizes.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/page83.html
Brant-
looks like a sweet deal to me! must start saving some duckets.
So, ~30-31" standover at midtube on the 29er?

#16 ·
brant@on-one.co.uk said:
Yes - that's right.

We might be able to get US prices EVEN LOWER for earl preorders, as we'll be able to sea-freight ship those straight to California for dispatch, rather than airfreight them from the UK after sea-freighting them here.
Any plans for a smaller 29er? I have a 16" horizontal dropout inbred and would be interested in a 29er. But, the 24" top tube on the 18" is just too long for me...

thanks,
baker

#17 ·
baker said:
Any plans for a smaller 29er? I have a 16" horizontal dropout inbred and would be interested in a 29er. But, the 24" top tube on the 18" is just too long for me...

thanks,
baker
I'm thinking about it, but bearing in mind the amount of stock we've got landing in the next month, it'll be at least six months away if it happens at all.

#18 ·
carrpy side shot

Here's a side shot from my poor camera phone before I put the brakes on. Yes - the top tube slope makes for a nice look and better standover. I have to say this is the best stock geometry for me I have ever ridden (since 1991 that is) with the KHS solo rigid fork at 425mm axel crown.

Attachments

#19 ·
brant@on-one.co.uk said:
I'm thinking about it, but bearing in mind the amount of stock we've got landing in the next month, it'll be at least six months away if it happens at all.
A bit of change of heart there, Brant? Last I'd visited this subject of 29ers with you, you'd been pretty set against designing anything smaller than your 18" size, I believe noting that smaller riders just may not be built right for 29ers. Thing is, your 18" frame is one inch too long in the top tube and one inch too high in standover. One size smaller and I'd be all over it.

#20 ·
SpinWheelz said:
A bit of change of heart there, Brant? Last I'd visited this subject of 29ers with you, you'd been pretty set against designing anything smaller than your 18" size, I believe noting that smaller riders just may not be built right for 29ers. Thing is, your 18" frame is one inch too long in the top tube and one inch too high in standover. One size smaller and I'd be all over it.
Thinking about it doesn't cost anything. And like I say, it's going to take a goodly while if it even comes off.

But thanks for the interest!

#21 ·
xray_ed said:
The down tube sys "Reynolds 631" whatever the heck that means. It's a pretty nice riding frame. My only beff is that the head tube seems a little tall (that's a Marzocci MX comp 105 mm fork). It doesn't handle like it has a slack head angle though. I don't know what the angle is with that fork. That Zoke is a bit longer than the fox 100 rlt on my Hammerhead. The sliding dropouts work fine and there is plenty of clearance for those Mutano 2.4s Here she is....
Hi! :D

I´m thinking build a SS but I don´t know... voodoo shango or Wanga.... I search rigid and resistence... Is posible build wanga with fork fox r 125 mm? or I go for shango :confused:

Cheers! :thumbsup:

#22 ·
Question for you Brant...

Sorry to hijack the thread but how can I tell if my Inbred is the one that can handle a 5" travel fork? I picked it a few months back from JensonUSA but haven't gotten around to building it up yet.

My Inbred is the white frame with sliding drop-outs and the cable looms run below the top tube if that's any help. Let me know.

To get this back on track, my On One is replacing my Chameleon - which I do love, BTW. Great geometry even w/a 5" Marz Z1 fork, very versatile, but just a little stiff and a hassle to run rear discs in SS mode with the older model disc adaptor

Thanks,
MondoRides

#23 ·
MondoRides said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but how can I tell if my Inbred is the one that can handle a 5" travel fork? I picked it a few months back from JensonUSA but haven't gotten around to building it up yet.

My Inbred is the white frame with sliding drop-outs and the cable looms run below the top tube if that's any help. Let me know.

To get this back on track, my On One is replacing my Chameleon - which I do love, BTW. Great geometry even w/a 5" Marz Z1 fork, very versatile, but just a little stiff and a hassle to run rear discs in SS mode with the older model disc adaptor

Thanks,
MondoRides
You have got the latest Inbred there which will take 4 or 5" forks.

It's the same as the one I picked up last week which comes with a 440mm rigid fork, up from 420mm on the previous horizontal dropout model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.