Candlestick Maker

On-One Inbred pic and DH tire question

So, I finally bit the bullet and bought a single speed specific frame. I picked up a new Inbred and Superlight Fork off of ebay for cheap and used parts from my Phobia Anxiety.

I really like the looks of the seatstays and rigid fork. Haven't done any significant riding yet, so no news on ride quality yet. Hopefully tomorrow...

I accidentally ordered WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Team DH tires instead of the Race version. The tires are absurdly heavy (3lbs each) and have super stiff sidewalls. Any idea how low I can go with tire pressure on these? I am ~155 generally ride MutanoRaptor 2.4's at ~28psi w/ no probs.

The plan is to use the bike in its current heavy (26lbs) configuration over winter through snow and mud conditions. At some point I'll probably go back to my lighter wheelset, tires, and put my Skareb back on w/ an Avid disc. Oh yeah, I'll cut down the steerer (even more) once I figure out where I want the handlebars.

baker

Frame: On-One Inbred
    Fork: On-One Superlight
    Headset: FSA Orbit XL II
    Brakes: Vuelta Mag V-brakes
    Levers: Paul Love Levers
    Bar: Profile Solar RS Carbon
    Seatpost: Titec Carbon
    Seatpost Clamp: Salsa
    Wheelset: Shimano DX laced to Alex Adventurer Rims
    Tires: WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Team DH
    Crankset: Fly Bikes 3 piece
    Chainwheel: Profile Imperial 32t
    Cog: Shimano DX 18t
    Chain: SRAM 8 speed
    Seat: Forte Team SL
    Grips: Titec Pork Rinds
    Stem: Forte Team
    Pedals: Eggbeaters

baker
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by baker; 12-18-2004 at 04:46 PM.

meatier showers

WAY nice!

Sorry I don't have any clue on your tire dilemma but I had to post because I want to ask you where you live. That place looks like a fantastic place to ride mountain bikes. I see you have snow but you also have some great looking hills not far from your very own deck.

Party at baker's!!!

Oh, way nice lookin' bike there. I dig the overall look and especially the crank/ring. Profile/Imperial?

--Sparty

P.S. 26 lbs... sounds like my bike as light as I dare build it.

Quote Originally Posted by baker
    So, I finally bit the bullet and bought a single speed specific frame. I picked up a new Inbred and Superlight Fork off of ebay for cheap and used parts from my Phobia Anxiety.

I really like the looks of the seatstays and rigid fork. Haven't done any significant riding yet, so no news one ride quality yet. Hopefully tomorrow...

I accidentally ordered WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Team DH tires instead of the Race version. The tires are absurdly heavy (3lbs each) and have super stiff sidewalls. Any idea how low I can go with tire pressure on these? I am ~155 and ride generally ride MutanoRaptor 2.4's at ~28psi w/ no probs.

The plan is to use the bike in its current heavy (26lbs) configuration over winter through snow and mud conditions. At some point I'll probably go back to my lighter wheelset, tires, and put my Skareb back on w/ an Avid disc. Oh yeah, I'll cut down the steerer (even more) once I figure out where I want the handlebars.

baker

Frame: On-One Inbred
    Fork: On-One Superlight
    Headset: FSA Orbit XL II
    Brakes: Vuelta Mag V-brakes
    Levers: Paul Love Levers
    Bar: Profile Solar RS Carbon
    Seatpost: Titec Carbon
    Seatpost Clamp: Salsa
    Wheelset: Shimano DX laced to Alex Adventurer Rims
    Tires: WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Team DH
    Crankset: Fly Bikes 3 piece
    Cog: Shimano DX 18t
    Chain: SRAM 8 speed
    Seat: Forte Team SL
    Grips: Titec Pork Rinds
    Stem: Forte Team
    Pedals: Eggbeaters

baker
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

What Would Happen?
    He's got it!

meatier showers
    Ya know, it's funny... sometimes I might chuckle when other guys do dumb stuff like not even notice that the parts list is right there and then ask a dumb question with an obvious answer... but hey, I gotta look at it this way: I may have overlooked the obvious but when I guessed it was Profile/Imperial at least I got the right freakin' answer.

Doesn't that account for something?

YES!!! I am KING!!!

Have mercy.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by spuddy
    He's got it!
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Sorry I don't have any clue on your tire dilemma but I had to post because I want to ask you where you live. That place looks like a fantastic place to ride mountain bikes. I see you have snow but you also have some great looking hills not far from your very own deck.
    Thanks for reminding me! After living here for 5 years, it becomes easy to forget how good I have it. I live west of Monument, Colorado. From my house, I can ride about 200 meters of dirt road to get to miles and miles of singletrack. I probably couldn't afford to buy here now. The price for my 5 acres would be about what I paid for the land and house 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Oh, way nice lookin' bike there. I dig the overall look and especially the crank/ring. Profile/Imperial?
    Thanks! You guessed right.

baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've ran Nokian Gazzas at 12 psi with no puncture problems and silly amount of grip so you should be ok at that. Obviously if you start hammering into every rock around wothout finesse you may have a problem. 15-20psi works best for me with downhill tyres although can make climbing a bit of a pain in the ass.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Considering I weigh 250lbs and run my 2.5DH tires around 18-20psi on my DH bike...I would feel comfy at your weight running 10-15psi. Do it.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    As others have said, you'll be fine someplace between 15 and 20 psi. I've run Maxxis dual-ply's down around 12, if by accident, and they've been OK. I'm riding pretty strong rims, though, and wouldn't go that low with some light XC rims.

Nice bike, fork too.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Candlestick Maker
    Thanks for all the pressure suggestions. I took it out for a spin at 16psi. Plenty of pressure. I'll probably go even lower next time.

Other lessons (re)learned: clipless bites for snow rides. By the end of the ride, I was about 2 inches taller due to ice/snow buildup. 32x18 is way too stiff of a gear for extended snow climbs. I should put my front disc brake back on if I'm planning on doing long snow rides. The braking power isn't the problem, as much as the snow buildup at the v-brakes.

baker
    Last edited by baker; 12-19-2004 at 06:02 PM.

those are Rollercams...

Inbred explosion going on here!

Sweet,good luck with her.

Mine should be complete sometime this week,I'll get some pics up once I'm finished.

Are your pants fresh?

Inbred explosion is right

or at least we all decided to post our builds on the same weekend.
    Funny that. Yay! Another Colorado Inbred. Congrats.

FP

Sweat is just fat crying.

Enjoy that paint job...

...while it lasts. The paint scrapes off easily.

But I don't care, cuz the mud covers it.

And my Planet X seat is crap. There's a rip in a seam after only about 20 rides.

Nice area where you live- you gonna have a Gathering there next year?

The real fp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    ...while it lasts. The paint scrapes off easily.

But I don't care, cuz the mud covers it.

And my Planet X seat is crap. There's a rip in a seam after only about 20 rides.

Nice area where you live- you gonna have a Gathering there next year?

The real fp
    Call Planet X about the saddle. They will give you a new one, not questions asked.

www.teamplanetx.com is the website, the number's on there. or email sales@teamplanetx.com