Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

One chain with 16/17/18/19/20t cogs???

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  buddhak 
#1 ·
I presently have a 16t and an 18t setup on my bike. I'm using a DMR tensioner which I like. Around here, some of our trails will "require" 19 or 20t sprockets if I want to ride instead of walk. From what I see now, there is a substantial length difference chain needed between 16 and 18. I haven't received my 19 and 20 yet, but I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a chain with a special quick-link/whatever combo that would make things easier when changing cogs, from 16 to 20 let's say. I don't really want to push the tensioner way down so that it almost looks like a derailleur... The only other solution I see is using 2 different chains, one for 16/17/18 and the other one that would fit the 18/19/20 cogs. BTW, only installing one cog at a time.

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz

#3 ·
Two different chains is a very easy way to do it, especially if you have powerlinks in both chains for easy install

I have heard of people using a small section of chain with an extra powerlink to quickly and easily length the chain by a few links.

Another solution is to buy a second chainring as well. 34x17 is the same ratio as 32:16 and should be able to use the same length chain as 32:19

#6 ·
boomn said:
Two different chains is a very easy way to do it, especially if you have powerlinks in both chains for easy install

I have heard of people using a small section of chain with an extra powerlink to quickly and easily length the chain by a few links.

Another solution is to buy a second chainring as well. 34x17 is the same ratio as 32:16 and should be able to use the same length chain as 32:19
1+ That's what I'm doing. Rocking two powerlinks and a short chain in between. Works perfectly.

#7 ·
I don't run a tensioner, so this may or may not help, but I can run an 34/18-22* on my karate monkey with the same chain.
I had originally set the bike up with a 19 centered front to back in the dropouts, and had an extra quick link in the chain so I could easily shorten or lengthen the chain but found I could run that range without touching the chain.

*Chain needs some miles on it, 22 won't fit with a brand new chain.

#9 ·
Paul Melvin

Johnnydrz said:
I presently have a 16t and an 18t setup on my bike. I'm using a DMR tensioner which I like. Around here, some of our trails will "require" 19 or 20t sprockets if I want to ride instead of walk. From what I see now, there is a substantial length difference chain needed between 16 and 18. I haven't received my 19 and 20 yet, but I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a chain with a special quick-link/whatever combo that would make things easier when changing cogs, from 16 to 20 let's say. I don't really want to push the tensioner way down so that it almost looks like a derailleur... The only other solution I see is using 2 different chains, one for 16/17/18 and the other one that would fit the 18/19/20 cogs. BTW, only installing one cog at a time.

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz
You want the Paul "Melvin", it works like a tensioner but can take up the slack for a difference of 4-5 teeth (rated for 20!)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.