no gears, no tears

An omen of things to come?

I finally got my tax refund yesterday and headed to my LBS after work to pick my new bike. YEAH! I bought a Norco Rival which they call an adventure/xc bike (i call it a freeride hartail) which I plan on converting to SS. Dirt Jumper fork, bb5 brakes, sun rims, truvativ cranks with an external bearing BB. Pretty decent bike. After I part out the drivetrain it will end up costing me about $600 CAN.

So I pay for it, wheel it out, hop on, and start riding home while pushing my old bike beside me. I've done this before many times, always being cautious, going slow, taking my time. See whats coming? While turning a corner about halfway home I hear a car and glance up. Next thing I know, I'm on the pavement. Bike's ok, I'm not. I think the handlebars of the bikes touched and threw me down. My wrist is killing me. I make it the rest of the way home and a couple hours later my wrist is swollen and I can hardly bend it. Not good. Up to the hospital were I wait in ER for 3 hours, they splint it and tell me to come back in the morning for xrays. Back up to the hospital this morning and 1 1/2 hours later it's not broken, just badly sprained, possibly a hairline fracture of my scaphoid bone. No cast, but I have to keep it wrapped in a tensor bandage for at least a week.

Crashing the bike the first time I ride it can't be a good omen of things to come.

I'll post some pics after the SS conversion is done. When my wrist heals up enough to able to wrench.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    no worries.. it's not an omen... just take care and concentrate on the SS conversion for now

Combat Wombat
    Not an omen. If that was something I did many times, and I'm talking about riding one bike while holding onto another, getting hurt would only be a matter of time.

Brian