mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Older Shimano XT Deore V-brakes or stock Tektros?

I hope you guys can help me out here. I purchased an Outcast SS 29er that came with stock aluminum Tektro v-brakes (mid-range for sure). They are nice and do the job but a friend of mine gave me a set of older (I think around 2004) Shimano XT Deore v-brakes. Would it be worth it to swap out the stock brakes to the Shimanos or should I just stay with the Tektros? Braking power with the Tektros seem or appear to be a little weak and I was curious if the XT Deores would be a little better overall.
    Oh, one last thing...the Tektros are dead silent, no break howling at all. I've heard that is not always the case with the Shimanos.

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissoulaGriz
    I hope you guys can help me out here. I purchased an Outcast SS 29er that came with stock aluminum Tektro v-brakes (mid-range for sure). They are nice and do the job but a friend of mine gave me a set of older (I think around 2004) Shimano XT Deore v-brakes. Would it be worth it to swap out the stock brakes to the Shimanos or should I just stay with the Tektros? Braking power with the Tektros seem or appear to be a little weak and I was curious if the XT Deores would be a little better overall.
    Oh, one last thing...the Tektros are dead silent, no break howling at all. I've heard that is not always the case with the Shimanos.

Thanks for your input.
    xt;s for sure better braking power as it is a parallel system, meaning the pad goes straight across to the rim surface as oppose to your tektro's they have a slight arch while heading to the rim surface.
    If the pads squeal, swap them out to kool stop cartridges. The Xt's have cartridge type pads which is nice and easy to replace because the housing stays on and simply pull out a small cotter style pin and slide the cartridge out and replace... simple and effective

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Some of my favorite linear pull brakes have been Tektro's.

one chain loop
    XT's if you dont mind it heavy.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

V-Shaped Rut
    Yeah I was gonna mention that I have the XTs on my wife's SS. They do stop very well but they're noticeably heavier than other v-brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Interesting...so they may be heavier than the aluminum Tektros? I'm trying to shave a little weight not increase it. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Shimano stock pads were never a good experience for me, but the brakes were always good. KoolStop pads are a stronger and quieter. XT's with KoolStops should be very good, even if they are a bit heavier

mtbr member
    The parallel linkage system wears out a lot faster then the standard arms on your tektros (many more small moving parts on the XTs). My XT brakes always made a lot of bad clicking/stuttering sounds, even after i rebuilt them. The paralell linkage system also doesn't really help you unless you run narrow (think 17c) rims with big (2.1+) tires.

mtbr member
    It took me a long season of noise to decide that other brakes (avid and so on) were way better than my better than my beloved XTs. Stronger and quieter. The hell w/ their paralell push debris.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for all the great feedback and replies. I think I'm going to stick with the Tektros for now and look at an upgrade to a carbon rigid fork that is disc ready next season then make a change.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Brakes

Sounds like you already made up your mind, but +1 for Tektro. I received good performance from them on a GT Peace 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The parallel linkage is a perceived solution to a non-problem. The worst brake I've owned was an XTR parallel linkage.