mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Old Single Speed Frames?

I am thinking of building up another single speed MTB. I think to start again, I want to go 26'' wheels. It has to be a budget build so what older frame recommendations are out there? I do have and old giant (ran it single speed before and the frame just sucks)
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Voodoo Wanga

Really Sherp Feeling Frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I used to have a Surly and really liked it. It isn't exotic, but they can be had quite cheap when used. The steel that has a playful spring to it that really belies its weight.

mtbr member
    Redline Monocogs have been around since like 2001 or so (?)

Apr 2007
    Old Specialized Stumpjumper/Rockhopper/Hardrock steel frames w/ horizontal drops. I've got a 93? Rockhopper that was cheap and SS friendly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Old Specialized Stumpjumper/Rockhopper/Hardrock steel frames w/ horizontal drops. I've got a 93? Rockhopper that was cheap and SS friendly.
    Here's my '90

Such a favorite of mine. Just had to do a little grinding with the dremel to fit the magic gear. Got the vintage (95) Judy XC on there with the 2nd gen. Englund air cartridges

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks Great!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    well, i am of course partial to my 94 kona cinder cone...mmm mmmmmm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Single Speed Frames?-ss1.jpg  

one chain loop
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    My dad has a hella old Stumpy. It's got the steel rims and canti brakes, not sure what year. He doesn't really ride it. Maybe I'll fix up the old Rockhopper we have as a family donor bike and trade him the Rockhopper for the Stumpy. It would make a cool ride.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    My dad has a hella old Stumpy. It's got the steel rims and canti brakes, not sure what year. He doesn't really ride it. Maybe I'll fix up the old Rockhopper we have as a family donor bike and trade him the Rockhopper for the Stumpy. It would make a cool ride.
    Check the year on it. I have an 89 Rockhopper and the geometry is a little lazy. Older stumpjumpers are pretty much cruisers. Look for something made in the 90's and for a rigid, ss bike, you'll be mostly content.

underachiever
    Klein Rascal. Has horizontal dropouts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Your right! One time I had a 1988 hard rocker but it was like a hybrid.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Check the year on it. I have an 89 Rockhopper and the geometry is a little lazy. Older stumpjumpers are pretty much cruisers. Look for something made in the 90's and for a rigid, ss bike, you'll be mostly content.
    Yeah, the geometry on that thing couldn't get out of bed before two in the afternoon without a shot of speed, that's how lazy it is. He doesn't know the year on it either, all I know is it's older than me.

Speaking of your recommendation for the 90s rigid bike, waaaay ahead of you. Last night I found an old beater bike on Craigslist, the dude wants like $40 for it. Apparently it even rides, too. I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning!

Just one quick question: does the wheel need to be re-dished if you're taking the geared freewheel cogs off? I know with a cassette you just add spacers, but that doesn't sound exactly cool on a freewheel to me.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    I've got an early '90's Diamondback Response with Truetemper AVT tubing that is a great singlespeed. I tried different frames, and some far nicer ones, but as a single the Diamondback works the best. It has short chainstays, and feels like a nimble BMX bike when you ride it. The dropouts are semi-vertical, and allow for a decent amount of tenioning; although not as much as a real horizontal dropout.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants
    Klein Rascal. Has horizontal dropouts.
    ...and a press fit bb and a 1" headtube. Don't know if this is true for every model, but that is a fair bit of hurdles to have to cross....

mtbr member
    I've got a 99 GF Supercaliber frame if you want it
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member

Trek 9 series FTW

Mid to late 90's Trek 920/30/50/70/90 incredibly nice frames for mass produced bikes and relatively easy to find used. Hard to believe you could buy an entire bike with an American made frame for less than $500 back then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a 930 I recently built up but used some of my vintage MTB parts but not sure if I want to use something that old. Mine is a 1991.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So... I know you are looking for a 26" old single speed frame.. but I've honestly had really good luck with the Stout SE. Its a rigid 29er SS with crap parts but the frame and fork I actually really like.

You can probably find one real cheap and just swap out to new parts you want. (Again, sorry for completely going against what you requested, but its not a bad start)
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper -- STOLEN! *cry*
    09 Stout SE(Its like your sister, cheap and fun)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415
    I have a 930 I recently built up but used some of my vintage MTB parts but not sure if I want to use something that old. Mine is a 1991.
    Oh, rock that bike! My Specialized is money. I used it last summer for hundreds of singletrack miles and thousands and thousands of descending feet. I still use it regularly for touring and commuting. A '91 Trek 930 would address the only issue I have with the bike (geometry).

Or... spend some time on ebay. 26" Monocogs and Units pop up all the time and go cheaper because they are not sexy....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A trek 930 is a great bike. Perfect SS project.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Oh it really does not matter what size wheels, just something I can build up cheap. I think I am either gonna convert something I have or buy a monocog 29er. At the moment, I have a Raleigh (nothing special) but the frame is too big for me. Thanks for all the opinions.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    bikes in the snow 2011 001
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I picked up a newer 930 single track frame today off CL so I will post a picture when it's finished.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Also have a Bianchi rigid for and Rockshox Judx xc. Im thinking more with the judy
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

I'm attracted to Gravity!

fun bikes. near the high point of the CO Trail

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I picked up a 07 Jamis Exile frame last year for about 80 bucks. It rides great

Members who have read this thread: 1