mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Old frame- how to make it SS?

I've got an old steel Breezer Lightning hanging up in the garage that my hubby won't let me sell. So, I thought it would be fun to turn it into a single speed. I really don't know much about these at all. What do I need to buy to make this happen? New crankset? What about wheels? I'd like to keep it low cost since I won't do much more than tool around the trails on it. Thank you!

What could go wrong ...
    you can pick up conversion kits that will have a few cogs and spacers and a tensioner then just make the chain shorter and remove the big ring and the granny gear from the crankset and you should be good to go.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

meatier showers
    MTBR singlespeed FAQ:
    http://www.mtbr.com/ssfaqcrx.aspx

You go, girl.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the tips. The conversion kit sounds easy enough...for the shop to install, that is

mtbr member
    Weehoo...do it! I have an old Gary Fisher with lots of worn out parts and was trying to decide whether to sell it, turn it into a commuter/around town bike, or make it a SS. My mechanic at the LBS said it would make a great SS. Now I have a fully rigid SS and *love* it!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by drtgirl
    I've got an old steel Breezer Lightning hanging up in the garage that my hubby won't let me sell. So, I thought it would be fun to turn it into a single speed. I really don't know much about these at all. What do I need to buy to make this happen? New crankset? What about wheels? I'd like to keep it low cost since I won't do much more than tool around the trails on it. Thank you!
    Nope, won't work....you need to send it to me ASAP and let me set it up for you....