mtbr member

... and if we just ... old convert here......

Hi all, after lurking here for a while I decided to try joining the ss ranks, it just sounds like to much fun. Had an old cannondale frame in the basement and a bunch of parts and here's what I ended up with. I'm really looking forward to getting it back out on the trails, I remember having a lot of fun on this old frame. Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks sweet. SSing is such a great way to revive an old frame. Now go get some dirt on that thing!

Penis Goat!
    Nice! Did you find a 'magic ratio' for your bike, or does it have horizontal dropouts?

Are your pants fresh?

Ahhh Cannondale

Nice one. Welcome.
    I bet it's pretty light too.
    Is that one of the versions with the cantilevered rear drop outs? Kinda looks like it.

FP

mtbr member

lucked out with the ratio

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Nice! Did you find a 'magic ratio' for your bike, or does it have horizontal dropouts?
    Got pretty lucky with the ratio. I'm really new to ss-ing, so in reading quite a few of the posts here and talking to a friend of mine from a local shop who ss's, I went with a 39-21. Hopefully it will be a good ratio for me to start out with, it also just happens to fit pretty well . I've got no doubt I'll be tweaking the drive train here and there to get the bugs worked out, but it should be fun. It has the longer cantilevered dropouts, not horizontal.
    Last edited by jeff27; 12-23-2004 at 07:01 AM. Reason: forgot something

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff27
    Got pretty lucky with the ratio. I'm really new to ss-ing, so in reading quite a few of the posts here and talking to a friend of mine from a local shop who ss's, I went with a 39-21. Hopefully it will be a good ratio for me to start out with, it also just happens to fit pretty well . I've got no doubt I'll be tweaking the drive train here and there to get the bugs worked out, but it should be fun. It has the longer cantilevered dropouts, not horizontal.
    Nice! That sounds like a pretty good ratio you found there. Kinda odd gear sizes, but who cares if it works. That'll give you good chainwrap around the cog, too.

Just to clarify, those are actually called horizontal dropouts...I've always thought it was dumb myself, but that's what they are. True horizontal dropouts (that release the wheel from the back) are called track fork ends. Click this link, and scroll down a bit to see the pictures:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_d.html#dropout