mtbr member

Upset ok i have no ss buddies to tell me anything so...

ok a few quick questions

1) whats better for ss dj freewheel or cassette?
    2) where should i go for online parts?
    3) do i have to spend 400 GD dollars on a wheelset im just gonna break in a month or should i just continue to go with the cheap wheels i get discounts on?
    4) all in all is it a requirement for me to have spent over a grand on my bike to be a good rider?

i've shown people time after time that i will jump higher and ride harder on my haro that i've spent all of 150 bucks on total minus the replacement wheels than they will ever on their $1800 rocky mountain slayers and what not and i do it all with one speed. does anyone know what im talking about? theres gotta be someone who started like me
    would anyone like to buy partially plucked chickens?

Man up
    Sep 2010
    1) probably freewheel
    2) google
    3) spend as much as you feel the pain is worth. Do you really want to have to worry every time you're in the air whether or not your wheels are going to give?
    4) you can spend $4k and be a crappy rider, or a good rider on a Huffy. The bike won't make you a good anything

All of these questions are probably more suited for, and better answered in, the dirt jump forum.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    yeah your probably right

WNC Native
    1- cheaper to stock up on different ratio cassette style cogs
    2- MTBR, Ebay, Craigslist, Google
    3- You can run whatever wheels you want, if you desire to go higher end later the do
    4- Currently my two favorite SS bikes I've owned so far were the 2 cheapest also (however I'm going custom now after trying several different geometries).

It's 90% rider and maybe 10% bike. Pick up a Redline Monocog or similar and thrash it. Upgrade later if desired.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    for a rear cog, i have found that the conveniece of a freehub with individual cogs is much nicer than a freewheel. I have a 14, 16, 18, and 20t cogs. having all those freewheels would be relatively expensive and they are a PAIN to remove when you want to swap them. Swapping those cogs is a snap when i want something faster or something spinnier.

mtbr member
    arent freehubs kinda like a cassette in the way you can change cogs? i think i have one on a different wheel i thought it was a cassette but when i went to steal the spacers off it i couldnt get it apart. there wasnt a lock ring like a cassette is that what it is? suck thing is its on a 29er wheel that i dont/wont use lol