Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    that sounds like your hub or freehub bearings
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    that sounds like your hub or freehub bearings
    That was my first thought but the hub is brand new, the sound doesn't happen before I fully tension the belt and I've also put a normal single speed chain and cog on the hub and it's silent, so it's definitely the belt......

still riding
    same hub and no noises like that here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrederland
    same hub and no noises like that here.
    Taking the belt off and rotating the hub is silent, so it's either the belt itself or something in the hub caused by the tension:

Tonight I'm going to try less tension on the belt (although I can't see that as a solution as I'm running the recommended tension and any less may cause it to jump) and then I have 2 other wheelsets both with Hope Pro 2 hubs so will try them and see if I get the same.

Last thing I can try is the rear skewer but I doubt that is the cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Problem solved

At least I think so.

Over the past few days, I've tried a number of things. I used a second wheelset with the same Hope Pro 2 hub on, got the same noise. tried running water over the belt to see if lubrication assisted - nothing.

Went back to the original hub, used a different skewer - again no result. Then I increased the torque on the lock ring which helped a bit. Eventually I swapped the belt over to a spare I had and bingo - now only a tiny bit of creaking.

The creak also now came from the front and not on every turn. Isolated that to a very slightly loose crank bolt. Now it's whisper quiet.

So, tighten everything up and it should be fine. I think I'm going to source on of the Spot flanges and flip the rear to bring it in further on the freewheel and also swap to a steel freewheel from Hope for longevity.

Anyway, looking forward to hitting the trails in stealth mode now......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeezaGeeza
    At least I think so.

Over the past few days, I've tried a number of things. I used a second wheelset with the same Hope Pro 2 hub on, got the same noise. tried running water over the belt to see if lubrication assisted - nothing.

Went back to the original hub, used a different skewer - again no result. Then I increased the torque on the lock ring which helped a bit. Eventually I swapped the belt over to a spare I had and bingo - now only a tiny bit of creaking.

The creak also now came from the front and not on every turn. Isolated that to a very slightly loose crank bolt. Now it's whisper quiet.

So, tighten everything up and it should be fine. I think I'm going to source on of the Spot flanges and flip the rear to bring it in further on the freewheel and also swap to a steel freewheel from Hope for longevity.

Anyway, looking forward to hitting the trails in stealth mode now......
    I too had some creaking and thought my freehub body was toast, I was getting creaking on hard pedal strokes and sometime even while pedaling lightly. it turned out it was my lockring, I snugged it up and all was quiet. I do get some occasional noise on dusty trails so I stop every now and then and run my gloves along each side and it quiets it right down.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

blet drive
    the belt will win
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Spot Belt Flange -

I think you might want to look at these. It won't solve all your problems but they work great and are a reasonable price.

http://www.spotbikes.com/news

(Scroll down a little to see the flanges, how sweet is that fixie too!)

B2

Gear inch question

When calculating gear inches on gates belt drive, is it the same as a normal cog and ring calculation? I heard that the 46 T ring on the belt drive is smaller than the 46 t chainring.
    does the same hold true for the cogs? what is the G. I. ratio of a gates 46, 28 combo on a 29er ?

Thanks

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by b2b2
    When calculating gear inches on gates belt drive, is it the same as a normal cog and ring calculation? I heard that the 46 T ring on the belt drive is smaller than the 46 t chainring.
    does the same hold true for the cogs? what is the G. I. ratio of a gates 46, 28 combo on a 29er ?

Thanks

There are tables on the Gates site that convert this for you. I run a Gates 39-24 and it is the same gear inches as a 32-19.5 chain drive of 47.5 Gear inches

The 46-28 is roughly the same as the 39-24 except the 39 front ring will provide better chain stay clearance thus giving a better chain line. Oh....and its a little lighter too.
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    XC legs,
    DH balls...

B2
    Thanks! I think I'll order my new Spot Brand this week. Just not sure about the color Hmmmm....

mtbr member
    There's no mention on this thread of belt breakages so far. I take it that it's all good
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Early days for me but so far so good. Solid system with no potential issues I can see at present

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    There's no mention on this thread of belt breakages so far. I take it that it's all good

The Belt so far is stronger than my Industry 9 Hubs anyway, cant stop my hub from skipping under load.
    "Be the Gear..."

PNW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeezaGeeza
    Early days for me but so far so good. Solid system with no potential issues I can see at present
    Just caught up with this thread for the first time, sorry.
    How is it going now Dave?
    Still haven't had to touch mine since the intial teething problem back in mid Nov, I just put air in the tyres and clean it occasionally

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW
    Just caught up with this thread for the first time, sorry.
    How is it going now Dave?
    Still haven't had to touch mine since the intial teething problem back in mid Nov, I just put air in the tyres and clean it occasionally
    Hi Pete,

The bike's going great. Been faultless so far and proving to be great fun. The fork's still a little sticky but I'm hoping it just needs bedding in, but it's nothing too noticeable on a ride.

Thanks again for the help and delivering the bike. Maybe I'll bump into on a ride one day......

hellraiser
    Hi folks,

I have a question regarding belt tension.

From what I understand, belt drive systems typically run on higher tension than a chain would. What effect does this extra tension have on the hub and bb bearings? Will they wear out faster or lead to other issues?

I understand that with chain drives it's not recommended to run your chain too tight for this reason.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Coach
    eh?

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by coach#1
    Hi folks,

I have a question regarding belt tension.

From what I understand, belt drive systems typically run on higher tension than a chain would. What effect does this extra tension have on the hub and bb bearings? Will they wear out faster or lead to other issues?

I understand that with chain drives it's not recommended to run your chain too tight for this reason.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Coach
    Probably have to invest in a good cassette hub like a Hadley or CK. Read mixed reviews on Industry 9 hubs with belt drives. Seen people running Hope too if you wanted something a bit more affordable.

SS or Die
    Gotta say that my Industry 9 hubs have been faultless for 4 years with chains and I have 3 sets of them.

When I hooked up a belt drive to my oldest set things havent been so good. It seems as though the pawls are slipping under heavy load. I would have to say that it definately is wearing out my Token BB, not sure about hub bearings though. BB is feeling crunchy after 2 months with the Gates system in place and thats with fancy, smancy teramic bearings.
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member

Fancy Smancy TGriamic Bearings

Where did you purchase the Token Tiramic's? They have a 2yr warranty against failure. This is the first time I've heard of a set going bad. How long have you run them and have you ever service them. They may just need cleaned and fresh lube. Often the case.

Quote Originally Posted by -Muz R-
    Gotta say that my Industry 9 hubs have been faultless for 4 years with chains and I have 3 sets of them.

When I hooked up a belt drive to my oldest set things havent been so good. It seems as though the pawls are slipping under heavy load. I would have to say that it definately is wearing out my Token BB, not sure about hub bearings though. BB is feeling crunchy after 2 months with the Gates system in place and thats with fancy, smancy teramic bearings.

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy8
    Where did you purchase the Token Tiramic's? They have a 2yr warranty against failure. This is the first time I've heard of a set going bad. How long have you run them and have you ever service them. They may just need cleaned and fresh lube. Often the case.

I couldnt agree with you more in terms of upgrading the grease but I was surprised to see the feel of the BB deminish so rapidly.

One other factor is the frame that Im using....its a Blacksheep with HACS ( adjustable chainstays ) and I wonder weather water is finding its way into the BB casing and doing the damage. Often after washing the bike if I stand it up on the back wheel, water will run out of the Chainstay tubes.

Might be time to drill a small hole in the bottom of the BB casing...I find this is a must do on some of my other frames to allow any unwanted moisture or water from gathering.
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    If you have moisture in your BB shell the bearings will soon feel rough. Drilling a weep hole is a great idea. You may still save the Tiramic bearings with a drying out and fresh lube. The TiN coated races resist corrosion well and the ceramic balls should be fine. It sounds like you have a handle on the problem. When you service the BB post the results. I'd like to know. Straightline makes a good lube for ceramic's.

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy8
    If you have moisture in your BB shell the bearings will soon feel rough. Drilling a weep hole is a great idea. You may still save the Tiramic bearings with a drying out and fresh lube. The TiN coated races resist corrosion well and the ceramic balls should be fine. It sounds like you have a handle on the problem. When you service the BB post the results. I'd like to know. Straightline makes a good lube for ceramic's.
    Thanks for the tips, I will let you know how it goes.
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Great Thread.
    I have a Spot on order. I will post pics and thoughts.
    DT Swiss 240, 15G BB, Spot CrMo forks, Schwalbe Marathon Dureme, BB7.
    Black Chrome!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast