mtbr member

Ode to MellowCat's departed Il Pompino

In honor of MellowCat's Il Pompino that was recently sold on ebay. I wish it hadn't, I would've bought his wheels. Maybe not as stealthy as MellowCat's but w/ a little color! I'd like to get as many views as he did, although a few hundred of those were me trying to get ideas... I also wish I could take pictures as well as he does.

Much props to Aaron Odell from the Rock Lobster team for wrenching the bike together. Great guy and he did an awesome job. I've been racing C's in CX this season, so I wanted to get an SS CX together. This is my 3rd SS bike in 6 months. The first was a Van Dessel CRB and last month it was a Solo One. Though I'll probably clear out the CRB to make garage space and the wife happy... Yeah, I'm obsessed.

Went w/ canti's to stay true to the game. Granted you'll see it's a little tight on getting the cables routed. Wasn't even any space to get barrels in place, so no on the fly adjustment. Went w/ a pink CK, too bad it's not exactly the same pink. I hear that there's some pink velocity rims coming out too...hmm. I'm in the process of selling a 3rd set of Weyless wheels to fund a real flip/flop set of wheels. The Tufos are temporary till the last CX race next week. Then I'll go back to Speedmaxs. I can't afford Tufos for daily riding...

Just got this back tonite, but in the few minutes I've had on it, I love it. It's a little more compact than my Indy Fab Planet X w/ supposedly the same geometry. Feels a little more relaxed. Then again, I switched between both bikes tonite and now the IF feels too long! I'll just have to take it on a real ride this weekend to get the real scoop.

Il Pompino build kit

Frame: Il Pompino from ebay
    Fork: On One (though it seems to be for an integrated headset) from ebay
    Headset: Pink Chris King from ebay
    Handlebars: Cinelli B Groove from ebay
    Stem: ITM from ebay
    Brake levers: Shimano Exage from ebay
    Handlebar tape: Supergo Aereon
    Front cable hanger: New Generic
    Headset spacers: New Weyless
    Brakes: Craigslist XT's
    Brake pads: New Salmon Pads
    Wheels: My CX Weyless Korso w/ Tufos
    Crankset: Used Shimano 105 from ebay
    Chainring: Shimano 42T from craigslist
    Rear cog: King Kog 16T w/ spacers from ebay
    Bottom Bracket: New Shimano square taper 68x113 from performance ($20)
    Chain: New SRAM 59 from supergo
    Pedals: My CX Frogs
    Seatpost clamp (29.8/30): New Woodman Deathgrip 29.8 from ebay
    Canti hanger: New Problem solvers, grinded to fit
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite (from Dean website special)
    Seat: Fuji from ebay
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Lookin' good!

Looks like the build came out nice.

How do you like the ride quality? Having any issues with toe overlap? My size 12's didn't like really tight turns, but normal riding was fine.

I shipped the il Pompino out yesterday morning to its new owner. From the emails we've exchanged he seems like a nice guy, glad to see the bike going someplace were it'll get ridden!

I'm trying to get out west sometime soon, maybe I can hook up with you for a ride?

MC

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    In honor of MellowCat's Il Pompino that was recently sold on ebay. I wish it hadn't, I would've bought his wheels. Maybe not as stealthy as MellowCat's but w/ a little color! I'd like to get as many views as he did, although a few hundred of those were me trying to get ideas... I also wish I could take pictures as well as he does.

Much props to Aaron Odell from the Rock Lobster team for wrenching the bike together. Great guy and he did an awesome job. I've been racing C's in CX this season, so I wanted to get an SS CX together. This is my 3rd SS bike in 6 months. The first was a Van Dessel CRB and last month it was a Solo One. Though I'll probably clear out the CRB to make garage space and the wife happy... Yeah, I'm obsessed.

Went w/ canti's to stay true to the game. Granted you'll see it's a little tight on getting the cables routed. Wasn't even any space to get barrels in place, so no on the fly adjustment. Went w/ a pink CK, too bad it's not exactly the same pink. I hear that there's some pink velocity rims coming out too...hmm. I'm in the process of selling a 3rd set of Weyless wheels to fund a real flip/flop set of wheels. The Tufos are temporary till the last CX race next week. Then I'll go back to Speedmaxs. I can't afford Tufos for daily riding...

Just got this back tonite, but in the few minutes I've had on it, I love it. It's a little more compact than my Indy Fab Planet X w/ supposedly the same geometry. Feels a little more relaxed. Then again, I switched between both bikes tonite and now the IF feels too long! I'll just have to take it on a real ride this weekend to get the real scoop.

Il Pompino build kit

Frame: Il Pompino from ebay
    Fork: On One (though it seems to be for an integrated headset) from ebay
    Headset: Pink Chris King from ebay
    Handlebars: Cinelli B Groove from ebay
    Stem: ITM from ebay
    Brake levers: Shimano Exage from ebay
    Handlebar tape: Supergo Aereon
    Front cable hanger: New Generic
    Headset spacers: New Weyless
    Brakes: Craigslist XT's
    Brake pads: New Salmon Pads
    Wheels: My CX Weyless Korso w/ Tufos
    Crankset: Used Shimano 105 from ebay
    Chainring: Shimano 42T from craigslist
    Rear cog: King Kog 16T w/ spacers from ebay
    Bottom Bracket: New Shimano square taper 68x113 from performance ($20)
    Chain: New SRAM 59 from supergo
    Pedals: My CX Frogs
    Seatpost clamp (29.8/30): New Woodman Deathgrip 29.8 from ebay
    Canti hanger: New Problem solvers, grinded to fit
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite (from Dean website special)
    Seat: Fuji from ebay

mtbr member
    Suprisingly, I don't notice any overlap. I wear a 43 Sidi. I was surprised, since this seems like a compact frame.

I'd be up for a ride, depending on my schedule of course. I'm not a huge MTB'er, I've spend most of the fall training/racing CX. Other times, I do some SS road training. I get out to the trails once in a blue moon.

Can't say much about the ride. It's been raining forever out here. I'm bummed cause i can't even try it out. I can't even take advantage of the snowboarding anymore. I can't get the hallpass from the wife and 2 year old. Although, I'm going up in a few weeks. Hopefully, the snow in tahoe is still there...

newbie boobie.
    How do you like the wheels? I am thinking about getting a pair...
    THANKS.
    It ain't easy being human.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    How do you like the wheels? I am thinking about getting a pair...
    THANKS.
    The Korsos or the Tufos?

I did my first CX season on my IF Planet X and these wheels. Great value and pretty solid wheels. I did have to get them trued after about 7 months of training/racing, but I did beat them up pretty good. Now they're straight and true, no broken spokes or bent rims. And believe me, they got beat up by this 170 pounder during some of the races. They're not the lightest rims but hold their own w/ Mavic OP/105's.

Much of the season was on Ritchey Speedmax 30's which did well, then I moved to the Tufo Prestiges. These run great at low pressure, good for muddy courses. They shed mud quite well, so the bike didn't get too mucked up during races. Granted only the last race was what anyone would call muddy. Been pretty dry till recently here in NorCal.

I got a 2nd set at the local Supergo when they had a weekend sale. Got it for $85. My first set was for $149 during a sale in May '04. Can't beat them for the price.

I'm running them SS w/ a 16T King Kog and bunch of spacers. I'm riding home from work today, so this'll be the first "real" ride on the bike.

Trying go budget and run the same wheelset on this bike and my geared Planet X. I want to try fixie, I may end up w/ an IRO set or a CXP set I saw on Sheldon's site.

newbie boobie.
    Damn, $85? Lucky MoFo!

I need to find a cheap/reliable wheelset for my Steelman crosser...

Also, trying to find a magic ratio to run SS... please oh please make it simple!
    It ain't easy being human.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    Damn, $85? Lucky MoFo!

I need to find a cheap/reliable wheelset for my Steelman crosser...

Also, trying to find a magic ratio to run SS... please oh please make it simple!
    Mmm Steelman. That's on my dream list for my 40th bday give to myself. (Includes, Vanilla, Matt Chester, Tayler, Rock Lobster, Sycip, Soulcraft...)

I'm running 42:16, which works for me. Probably not something I could do (yet) on steep singletrack, but probably doable on my road loop. My other SS roadie (Country Road Bob) is sporting a 44:18. At first, I was running 36:18. The 44:18 was hard in the beginning, but I got used to it and was spinning out on some flats. 42:16 is my compromise to still be able to handle most singletrack.

Can't recall the number of spacers, I just bummed a couple from the local LBS plus a few from a spare Exage cassette.