Results 1 to 61 of 61
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    26

    Observation on the state of our SS culture

    I first got into singlespeeding because of its simplicity, in terms of attitude, ride style and the bike, and because of the shared mindset that obsession over equipment is unhealthy. Just get out and ride - right?

    But it seems many have gone astray. This board is filled to the brim with equipment questions. I worried less about what to put on my geared bike than most of the people on this board. King hubs or ENOs? Boone cog or Surly? This gear combo or that one? Custom steel fork or not? 26er or 29er?

    It also seems that the community has gone exclusive. The punk mindset, the DIY mindset, is live and let live, open mind. But now group rides shun the geared. Holier than thou attitude prevails. Now it's divide and conquer and the community is a mere demographic for the marketers. Certain frame makers who once would make a number of different frames for all types of riders now bow before the trend alter - SS only or 29 only - because this is what creates the appearence of credibility in the eyes of the faithful. We are all in the special club because of what we ride and we feel special, better than everyone else. Give me a break!

    I've concluded that the "moment" is over. It is sad, but it happens to many phenonmenons (Burning Man, SoCal punk, Phish, etc.). I will ride my singlespeed forever, but I don't feel part of a cultural movement anymore. Pockets of resistance will live on, but the community is inflitrated.

  2. #2
    high plains drifter
    Reputation: mateoway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    389

    take the Forrest Gump approach

    you see a hill you climb it. Get to the top go down it .
    you get a flat tire you fix it . SSing is like a box of sprockets
    you never know which ones going to fit
    Last edited by mateoway; 11-20-2005 at 11:24 AM.

  3. #3
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,019
    I've just gotten in a good 2.5 years ago. It started as a training tool for me. I appreciate the openmindedness and purity of the riding experience. I don't care much for the nudity, loudness, cross-dressing or alcohol that seems to be directly associated by some to the lack of multiple gears on a bike. The cross-dressing is fun entertainment though, just not my thing. Perhaps that although I like it a lot, I never drink quite enough beer to get that "pure"...
    Yeah I'm a stiff, and sometime I do can smile, but the best of fun IMO is had with a sober head.

  4. #4
    kung food
    Reputation: jace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    250
    Certain frame makers who once would make a number of different frames for all types of riders now bow before the trend alter - SS only or 29 only - because this is what creates the appearence of credibility in the eyes of the faithful.
    example?

    If I may say so, it was likely your mistake to associate the number of gears on your bicycle with a "cultural movement" in the first place. If you want to talk about SSing 'jumping the shark' that seems fair, all fads and trends eventually reach an inflection point in their popularity, but that has precious little to do with the idea of an idyllic, cohesive zeitgeist of one-speeders that has faded into the night.

    Everything that made single-speeding great, has failed to change.

  5. #5
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,805
    All true enough but I reserve my final judgment until next season's races.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,084
    Internet forums are exactly the kind of place that one would go to ask equipment related questions. It is an obvious function and doesn't have anything to do with "single speed bike culture".

    Regarding the culture, if you've been a part of it then you are way ahead of me. I first found out about single speed bikes when I was racing the 24 Hours of Moab way back in 95-97 and was surprised to see Team Hugh Jass from the East Coast running respectable lap times on single speeds. I became obsessed, bought a Voodoo Nzumbi and sold my full suspension bike. But I could never convince anyone else to try single speeding when I lived in Colorado. I never saw another single speed rider when I was out there (I'm sure there are a lot more now). I moved to San Francisco in 2001 and I now have a couple of friends who ride single speed mountain bikes but it isn't any kind of a culture at all. It's just a couple of friends who really like bikes. The fixed gear / hipster scene, well, that definitely is some sort of cultural thing but I don't feel like I am part of it even though I ride a Steamroller as my main commuter bike.

    It seems like there is some sort of bike culture thing going on in Minnesota based around single speeds, the Surly guys, punk rock, and alcoholism. Sounds like a lot of fun although I wish that drinking wasn't always considered the necessary ingredient for good times.

    If you want to have your own subculture that remains pure, you'll have to get into something that very few people like so that it can't become popular or co-opted. The problem of course, is that you'll then have a hard time recruiting members. So far, the whole mountain unicycling thing seems pretty small - maybe there's your answer.

  7. #7
    just have fun!
    Reputation: desurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    154
    I'm a n00b to singlespeeding, so I don't know the way it 'used to be', but I don't think it's as bleak as you make it seem. I didn't ditch FS+gears and go 100% singlespeed to be cool or part of some cultural group. I like the simplicity and pure fun of the experience. I also like having a cheap bike that doesn't break every other ride. My bike is probably worth $300 at most.

    I don't care about things like what brand cog I have or $150 hubs or super-expensive CK stuff or any other bling. But I don't care that other people are into that. I don't look down at people with gears; well, except when I'm waiting for them at the top of a climb .

    Where I ride, there aren't cliques of different bikers. This morning I rode with people riding geared 29ers, SS 29ers, carbon FS rides, rigid forks, and every other type of MTB you can think of. We don't care about what you ride, we just all have fun.

    I don't feel special because I ride a singlespeed. It's just a damn bike! I just want to have fun and enjoy being out on the trail, and singlespeeding does the trick for me. To each his own.

    There will always be people who get high-and-mighty about their personal choices, and they'd be that way whether they are cyclists or car enthusiasts or whatever. That's just the way they are. Screw 'em! Just get out and ride. That's all that matters.

    Oh yeah, I like beer and have a bottle opener mounted in place of a water bottle cage on the seat tube, but it has nothing to do with alcoholism. I just really enjoy craft-brewed beers. Alcohol isn't needed for a good time, but a cold bottle of Dogfish Head really hits the spot after a hard ride.
    Last edited by desurfer; 11-20-2005 at 12:13 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudplugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    28

    more observation

    Greyson45,

    Your observations are well noted.

    There is a certain amount of handwringing that is bound to happen on these forums.
    It's what happens when people are anxious. But I worry that it probably reflects a general growing trend for humans to be "possessed by our possessions", in the words of one of my throat-bearded high-school teachers. A trend with which we are spending our grandchildrens' inheritance in so many ways.

    The "we're better than them" attitude is concerning. We still share a vulnerability to mechanicals on the trail. We will get our knee replacements about 5 years sooner.

    The 700c wheel movement makes sense if you've got any interest in where we came from as cyclists, or if you're a physically large person. I think it is probably good that the 700c tire selection and tire clearance are growing, but unfortunately the marketing comes with that.

    The one-speed has never really died since bikes were invented - track has always been around and it looks like BMX is here for a while to come (cheer or hiss here for Olympic track events replaced by BMX ).

    Although the 'moment' may be over, those bands from '77 still rock fabulously. I think most of us care less about riding a trend wave than we care about riding simple, reliable, low-entropy machines. Long after this renaissance or 'moment' of the gearless is over, those bikes from '02 still will ride fabulously. Even if our patellae are pulp.

    mudplugger
    raise the prayer flags of the temple of one gear.

    slowvelo

  9. #9
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663

    Wow, that's corny.

    Sorry for steamrolling my corporate machine over your social movement...

    JMH

    [/QUOTE] I've concluded that the "moment" is over. It is sad, but it happens to many phenonmenons (Burning Man, SoCal punk, Phish, etc.). I will ride my singlespeed forever, but I don't feel part of a cultural movement anymore. Pockets of resistance will live on, but the community is inflitrated.

  10. #10
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyson45
    I first got into singlespeeding because of its simplicity, in terms of attitude, ride style and the bike, and because of the shared mindset that obsession over equipment is unhealthy. Just get out and ride - right?

    But it seems many have gone astray. This board is filled to the brim with equipment questions. I worried less about what to put on my geared bike than most of the people on this board. King hubs or ENOs? Boone cog or Surly? This gear combo or that one? Custom steel fork or not? 26er or 29er?

    It also seems that the community has gone exclusive. The punk mindset, the DIY mindset, is live and let live, open mind. But now group rides shun the geared. Holier than thou attitude prevails. Now it's divide and conquer and the community is a mere demographic for the marketers. Certain frame makers who once would make a number of different frames for all types of riders now bow before the trend alter - SS only or 29 only - because this is what creates the appearence of credibility in the eyes of the faithful. We are all in the special club because of what we ride and we feel special, better than everyone else. Give me a break!

    I've concluded that the "moment" is over. It is sad, but it happens to many phenonmenons (Burning Man, SoCal punk, Phish, etc.). I will ride my singlespeed forever, but I don't feel part of a cultural movement anymore. Pockets of resistance will live on, but the community is inflitrated.


    No .. no .. no.. I think that you have it all wrong. I can only speak for myself, but I honestly couldn't care less what other people ride. Sure, I love singlespeed bikes, and ride one myself. That makes *me* happy.

    Yes, I also ride a 29'er SS, but not because it's trendy, but because I find them to be better than the 26 inch wheels.

    Cultural movement??? lol..who cares? Not me. I'm happy to be a part of the 29'er revolution, but it's for me, no one else.

    Marketing? meh.. if it adds to my ride enjoyment, i'll try it. Otherwise, I try to keep to the KISS principle. Same with technology.

    Booze? I sometimes have a Guiness after the ride, but not often, I prefer the taste of tea.


    Maybe your unhappiness with the current state of the singlespeed 'movement' stems from the fact that you got 'into it' for all the right reasons, but you are being too influenced by what others are doing...yes?

    If so, where does your happiness lie ....... inside yourself, or in others?

    Read my sig... your happiness lies within yourself, and only you are able to change that one way or another. What everyone else does or does not do matters little, if you believe in yourself, and are happy with what *you* are doing.


    R.
    It is inevitable ...

  11. #11
    Waiting to exhale.
    Reputation: SMOKEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,032
    They make knee replacements?
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burtondogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    225

    ??

    If the SS thing is getting to crowded for ya .

    You can still be somewhat of a pioneer in the XC unicycle craze.
    I wont join you on that one.

    JUST RIDE!

    Later

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mojoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by burtondogs
    If the SS thing is getting to crowded for ya .

    You can still be somewhat of a pioneer in the XC unicycle craze.
    Not really. I've already been into the mountain unicycle thing for 4 years and i'm starting to get bored with it. It just seems like once I get good enough at something for it not to be challenging, it gets boring.. for me anyway.

    It's easy to get locked into a lifestyle and get super obsessed with any sport. Lately, I just ride, and try not to think about how others see me. Just me and the bike and the woods. No image or lifestyle to get in the way.

    Mojoe

  14. #14
    Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    191

    Got your Mojo workin'?

    Mojoe,
    missed you at this year's Homie Fall Fest. There were lot's of singlespeeds, weird costumes, and alcoholics...
    carsrcoffins.com

  15. #15
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,705

    You Bet

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    They make knee replacements?
    I've got some cool ti/carbon ones on the way from Mountain High Cyclery. Saves 5 grams per knee and I'm getting a sweet deal from larry. I'm going to do the installation myself, how hard can it be.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    236
    I'll start by saying that I don't disagree entirely, singlespeeding has changed somewhat. That said.

    People ask equipment questions here because, while singlespeeding has grown in popularity, there still aren't a whole lot of large scale reports on how SS gear works. You don't see MBA doing "SS cog shootouts" (thank god). Even within riding communities, not a ton of riders may ride SS, so getting good, comparitive reviews on stuff is tough. And why to we care about the gear in the first place? Well, for me its all about getting something set up that will work for the long term, so that I can just go ride my bike. And there's more questions about gear because more people are getting into it, and they bring with them more questions. SS used to be a bunch of bike mechanics and experienced riders (overgeneralization), so they brought very few questions to the table, now, there are more people with less experience getting started, so they have more questions.

    I don't think we've gone exclusive. Group rides shunned geared riders? I dunno. most of my rides are with geared riders. Most of the gatherings furthered by this bored (Barbie Camp, Gnome Fest) welcome geared riders, though attendance by SSers is high.

    Holier than thou? Well, I mean, I am way better than all geared riders, so I guess we're guilty on that one...

    I think some builders have specialized mostly to keep their lives manageable. I mean, guys like Matt Chester or Jeff Jones seem to have plenty of work, so they can afford to specialize a bit, building only what they think works best. Yeah, guys like that could hire more help, but that's not how they want to roll, and I respect that.
    All that said singlespeeding, and the culture around it have changed some maybe for the worse, maybe for the better.
    One thing I know for sure? The grins I get on my RIG and ride some sweet trail are just like the grins when I first converted my Barracuda A2B and decided to hop in a race on it, and then didn't really ride my geared bike the rest of the summer.

    YO MAMA

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mojoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurl
    Mojoe,
    missed you at this year's Homie Fall Fest. There were lot's of singlespeeds, weird costumes, and alcoholics...
    Yeah, I was planning on going, but I just didn't feel like driving up for it that morning.

    I saw you and some of the other team evil guys on ragbrai, I just never hollered at you. You looked like you were trying to get to the beer garden as fast as possible. I rode my loaded down Xtracycle this year. It's funny how the crowd clears out of the way when team evil rolls into a town.


    later.....Mojoe

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,201
    SS Culture? 29er revolution? Give me a break. We are talking about freaking bikes here. I rode rigid SS bikes 35 years ago. Go to India or China and see how "unique" SS bike are.

    Sorry to disappoint you but the "moment" is not over because there was never a moment. It is posts like this that confirm that many who ride SS or 29ers, want desperately to be in a select group or part of a sub-culture. A little sad, I think.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  19. #19
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,597

    Actually, it is all my fault.

    I ruined single-speeding about 11 months ago. Sorry about that, everyone.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burtondogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoe
    Lately, I just ride, and try not to think about how others see me. Just me and the bike and the woods. No image or lifestyle to get in the way.
    Word, to that man.
    I ve been feelin the same way.

  21. #21
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,945

    Well...

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyson45
    I first got into singlespeeding because of its simplicity, in terms of attitude, ride style and the bike, and because of the shared mindset that obsession over equipment is unhealthy. Just get out and ride - right?

    But it seems many have gone astray. This board is filled to the brim with equipment questions. I worried less about what to put on my geared bike than most of the people on this board. King hubs or ENOs? Boone cog or Surly? This gear combo or that one? Custom steel fork or not? 26er or 29er?

    It also seems that the community has gone exclusive. The punk mindset, the DIY mindset, is live and let live, open mind. But now group rides shun the geared. Holier than thou attitude prevails. Now it's divide and conquer and the community is a mere demographic for the marketers. Certain frame makers who once would make a number of different frames for all types of riders now bow before the trend alter - SS only or 29 only - because this is what creates the appearence of credibility in the eyes of the faithful. We are all in the special club because of what we ride and we feel special, better than everyone else. Give me a break!

    I've concluded that the "moment" is over. It is sad, but it happens to many phenonmenons (Burning Man, SoCal punk, Phish, etc.). I will ride my singlespeed forever, but I don't feel part of a cultural movement anymore. Pockets of resistance will live on, but the community is inflitrated.


    "...obsession over equipment is unhealthy." While I agree that obsession over just about anything is not good, fact gathering before buying bike parts, or anything else, is smart. I started to SS after tiring of performing constant maintenance on my FS gearies. When I build a SS I'm looking at reliable parts that will last for years and perform well in the conditions I ride. I know a lot of riders who as you say "Just get out and ride." They come to see me when their components fail and their bikes fall apart.

    "It also seems that the community has gone exclusive." It's quite natural for a subset of a larger group to behave in ways that may seem they are trying to be "exclusive". Riding a SS is much more difficult than riding a gearie. I think that fosters a sense of pride within the SS comunity. I'm quite sure most riding SS would like to have more join the group. Do SSers exclude gearies? Well I'd be the first to admit it's often difficult keeping up with riders on geared bikes on most trails (truth is, I'm much faster on a FS gearie on my usual trails), so I could see why there may be those who like to stick with riding with other SSers instead of folks on gearies. Are we in a "special" club. No way. It's not "special". But in someways I think it is sort of like a club and that's not a bad thing. Building a sense of comraderie (?sp) with others who enjoy riding in a similar way can't be all bad. It just can't be taken too far. After all, they are just bikes. It's not like were out there curing cancer... (maybe preventing it though, ha).

    I'm sure there are those that take things too far; wearing the "SS" badge to bolster some deficiency and make yourself feel special is just silly. Those will likely fall by the wayside as time goes on. I suspect many SS riders are like me... they want a simple, durable, bike to have fun with and to help them keep in shape.

    Just my thoughts.

    Mike

    Anyway... what's "Burning Man"?

  22. #22
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,856
    I've concluded that the "moment" is over. It is sad, but it happens to many phenonmenons
    Jeezus, just ride your bike and stop worring about the fucking culture.

    The ride is what you make it. If the moment is over for you it's only because you let it happen...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  23. #23
    bikaroo
    Reputation: skippy the bush kangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2

    uh oh

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    No .. no .. no.. I think that you have it all wrong. I can only speak for myself, but I honestly couldn't care less what other people ride. Sure, I love singlespeed bikes, and ride one myself. That makes *me* happy.

    Yes, I also ride a 29'er SS, but not because it's trendy, but because I find them to be better than the 26 inch wheels.

    Cultural movement??? lol..who cares? Not me. I'm happy to be a part of the 29'er revolution, but it's for me, no one else.

    Marketing? meh.. if it adds to my ride enjoyment, i'll try it. Otherwise, I try to keep to the KISS principle. Same with technology.

    Booze? I sometimes have a Guiness after the ride, but not often, I prefer the taste of tea.


    Maybe your unhappiness with the current state of the singlespeed 'movement' stems from the fact that you got 'into it' for all the right reasons, but you are being too influenced by what others are doing...yes?

    If so, where does your happiness lie ....... inside yourself, or in others?

    Read my sig... your happiness lies within yourself, and only you are able to change that one way or another. What everyone else does or does not do matters little, if you believe in yourself, and are happy with what *you* are doing.


    R.


    Ok, I'm starting to feel really silly about the Sparty tat.

  24. #24
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyson45
    I first got into singlespeeding because of its simplicity, in terms of attitude, ride style and the bike, and because of the shared mindset that obsession over equipment is unhealthy. Just get out and ride - right?
    ...
    I thought about commenting on this, but what's the point?

    Oops, I guess I just did.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  25. #25
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110
    This reminds me of the MBA editorial/manifesto a few issues ago about "what's hot, what's not and what's on the bubble". Wouldn't want to burst anybody's bubble here... It always cracks me up when people write about what they think other people should like and should do. Quality entertainment.

    The only thing constant is change, but we still ride.

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  26. #26
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,986
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy the bush kangaroo
    Ok, I'm starting to feel really silly about the Sparty tat.
    Huh?

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    868

    whatever

    "But now group rides shun the geared"

    - I'm still looking for a group ride with more than one other single speeder, so I guess I'm lost on this comment.

    "demographic for the marketers"

    - I don't think anyone but "Philwood" is getting rich off singlespeeders(I caught that Merc in the background of many new pissoff bike pictures...), so I doubt the marketers give a crap.


    "I've concluded that the "moment" is over."

    - I guess I wish somebody would have told me this was going to end, dammit, I spent alot of money on this Singlespeed, now I have to try and ebay it for the next trendy thing? And who the hell made you the decision maker on moments anyway!


    "It is sad, but it happens to many phenonmenons (Burning Man, SoCal punk, Phish, etc.). I will ride my singlespeed forever, but I don't feel part of a cultural movement anymore. Pockets of resistance will live on, but the community is inflitrated."


    - You think to much, just go ride and keep the "moment" going.


    MC

  28. #28
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,986

    I knew it!

    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    I ruined single-speeding about 11 months ago. Sorry about that, everyone.
    I sensed a rift developing in the singlespeed space/time continuum 11 months ago!

    I did!

    Whew! Thanks for steppin' up.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  29. #29
    Waiting to exhale.
    Reputation: SMOKEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,032
    Ladies and Gentlemen...
    I am here to announce that the only "trend", the only "moment", is in my pants.
    Thank you.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

  30. #30
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    it is over.
    today the olsen twins purchased white industries and lindsay lohan was see wearing a surly t-shirt...

    i am out of ss and buying a big wheel, but only cause i saw this real cool kid riding one.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  31. #31
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    it is over.
    today the olsen twins purchased white industries and lindsay lohan was see wearing a surly t-shirt...

    i am out of ss and buying a big wheel, but only cause i saw this real cool kid riding one.
    only fair to note, i am one of the millionare ss groupie marketers and party crashers...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  32. #32
    Really I am that slow
    Reputation: SlowerThenSnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,781

    Bonking ... not feelin' well Relax

    I am sorry but I really don't giv e a darn about if I am one of the hipster kiddies or not. I just want to ride my bicycle... yes all of my bikes are ss or fixie...

    In the words of matt chester RELAX!
    Read my BLOG!

    just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

  33. #33
    byklvr
    Guest

    Hope Oh Whatever!

    This makes as much sence as the flame wars in the other forums. We all ride ss. We all like ss. We all pedal to ride our ss. We all bleed red when we all fall off of our ss.

    AND- WE ALL SHOULD GO OUT RIGHT NOW AND STOP WORRYING SO MUCH.

    IN FACT-Go out and ride right now, enjoy the fact that you're able to do something you love!

    Who cares what the masses consider fashion?
    Why try to dictate fashion?

    I ride what I like, so do you.

    That being said,

    R.I.P. Clay Mankin- you passed on doing what you loved, riding a bike.

  34. #34
    Exclusively Single
    Reputation: long hazy daze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    673

    My Observation is that One Should...

    Ride because you love to ride. And you should ride the gear that you do because it best suits your riding style and needs, regardless of what others are doing.

    Trying to make dividing social or cultural issues out of it, well, that has absolutely nothing to do with why you should be riding a bike through the mountains and woods in the first place.

    If you ride a particular type of bike (be it a full-stiffy SS, or a full-squishy MultiSpeed) or subscribe to a particular school of thought because for you, it's a fashion show or a "cultural statement", I think you are sorely missing the point, and pure joy, of MTB'ing.

    Check out....Zen and the Art of Just Enjoying Riding Your F*ucking Bike and Not Giving a Sh*t About Rediculously Implemented Sub-Cultural Cycling Fashions.
    Last edited by long hazy daze; 11-20-2005 at 10:57 PM.

  35. #35
    Steamroller
    Reputation: Mattman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,217

    Interesting Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyson45
    .................................................. .........
    I've concluded that the "moment" is over. It is sad, but it happens to many phenonmenons (Burning Man, SoCal punk, Phish, etc.). I will ride my singlespeed forever, but I don't feel part of a cultural movement anymore. Pockets of resistance will live on, but the community is inflitrated.
    While I see what you are trying to say here, I can't say I really agree with much of it. If you were into SS for the moment and it bothers you that that moment is gone, that's a shame. Life is just a series of moments, as is cycling. Your moment may be gone but there are new people buying SS bikes or converting them for the first time every day, their SS moment is just beginning. It may not be the same as yours, who cares if they get into SS and love it.

    Example...Pink SS bikes are a sub-cultural feature within a sub-culture, one could argue that they were done the day they were available as a stock color option from a manufacturer. If you had one before that, how would you react? You could whine about the moment being over the instant you saw a stock Surly in pink..... You could just enjoy your old custom pink bike knowing you were a trendsetter..... You could paint your pink bike chartruese and have a new moment that with any luck will be yours forever. For everyone who bought a pink Surly their pink moment started that day, maybe not as cool as the first pink SSrs moment or your earlier SS moment but, who cares.


    It is sad if your moment is over......I'll not let any moment I enjoy be over so easily.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

  36. #36
    75% Mountain cycle
    Reputation: SanAnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    322

    Answer: Stop Observing!

    Your "observation" in and of itself is in violation of the premise of your thread. You may better assume we ride SS despite the “state of our culture.”

    To “observe” as you have done, is a recognition of outside influence and an admission that you care what other people think.

    Now that I have said this, I have admitted (in some fashion) that I care what people on this forum think, having now made an observation of my own. I just blew my mind…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SanAnMan; 11-21-2005 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    250

    I am you as you are me and we are all together.............

    "The true Way, the essence of the Way, is not difficult, but you must not love or hate"

    Shin Jin Mei
    Master Sosan









    Quote Originally Posted by Greyson45
    I first got into singlespeeding because of its simplicity, in terms of attitude, ride style and the bike, and because of the shared mindset that obsession over equipment is unhealthy. Just get out and ride - right?

    But it seems many have gone astray. This board is filled to the brim with equipment questions. I worried less about what to put on my geared bike than most of the people on this board. King hubs or ENOs? Boone cog or Surly? This gear combo or that one? Custom steel fork or not? 26er or 29er?

    It also seems that the community has gone exclusive. The punk mindset, the DIY mindset, is live and let live, open mind. But now group rides shun the geared. Holier than thou attitude prevails. Now it's divide and conquer and the community is a mere demographic for the marketers. Certain frame makers who once would make a number of different frames for all types of riders now bow before the trend alter - SS only or 29 only - because this is what creates the appearence of credibility in the eyes of the faithful. We are all in the special club because of what we ride and we feel special, better than everyone else. Give me a break!

    I've concluded that the "moment" is over. It is sad, but it happens to many phenonmenons (Burning Man, SoCal punk, Phish, etc.). I will ride my singlespeed forever, but I don't feel part of a cultural movement anymore. Pockets of resistance will live on, but the community is inflitrated.

  38. #38
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,267
    'Cultural movements' are for sheep. Last time I checked, riding a singlespeed bike was about riding a bike without gears to 'bail you out'. 'Punk movement'? 'DIY movement'? Bowel movement, more like.

    In the queries between the hub choices, crankset, etc., I hardly see anything wrong with asking around about optimizing your ride. I didn't realize that singlespeed riding consisted purely of crap you had lying around your garage floor.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jugdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,270

    ppsstt,

    hey buddy meth is the next big thing, you want in?

  40. #40
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Oh dear....

    These threads crack me up.

    I'm with Spinwheelz on this one...."movements" are for "lookatmes" and sheep.

    B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickD.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    516
    We've been trying to think of things to tell the little hipster kids that come into the shop with their singlespeed/fixed gear converted Schwinn Continentals something that will turn their stomachs to the point where they will think this whole 'trend' has jumped the shark, as it were. The two in the lead right now are:

    1. Whatever bike they come in on, compliment them on it and mention that you had someone bring in a conversion just like it earlier in the week for a baby seat install, or

    2. Tell them that John Barleycorn (one of the bigger and well known frat bars in the city) called the shop looking for us to make them ten singlespeed conversions to give away as raffle prizes.

    Also, someone on another message board, in regards to the 'fad' being 'over,' mentioned that we're all missing the point. When all the trend jumpers need to sell their blinglespeeds with zero use and no wear for cheap, we'll be there to reap the rewards...

  42. #42
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Reputation: TwistedCrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,975

    Shut up and ride

    Revolution is just a tshirt away.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

  43. #43
    Retro Grouch
    Reputation: aka brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,091

    Rebels without a clue?

    Coming from the baby boom generation, we were experts at making rebellion mainstream. If you have to grow your hair long and wear tattered jeans to fit; your not rebelling. If ever there were (as Tom Petty said), “rebels without a clue”, it’s singlespeeders that think they are “pure”. The day Specialized slapped a Singleator on a Hardrock and called it a P1, was the end of any semblance of SS not being mainstream. I starting riding SS because after 20 years of riding gears I was looking for a change and found it. SS is not rebellious; it’s not pure; it’s not cool; it’s not simple; it’s a hoot!! Get over it and ride!

    BTW, what does a Sparty tattoo look like? I want one.

    1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 11-21-2005 at 04:17 PM.

  44. #44
    I ride with tools
    Reputation: Jim Beam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,367

    Close........

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    the only "moment", is in my pants.
    I think you meant to say the only "movement" is in your pants.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyson45
    I first got into singlespeeding because of its simplicity, in terms of attitude, ride style and the bike, and because of the shared mindset that obsession over equipment is unhealthy. Just get out and ride - right?

    But it seems many have gone astray. This board is filled to the brim with equipment questions. I worried less about what to put on my geared bike than most of the people on this board. King hubs or ENOs? Boone cog or Surly? This gear combo or that one? Custom steel fork or not? 26er or 29er?

    It also seems that the community has gone exclusive. The punk mindset, the DIY mindset, is live and let live, open mind. But now group rides shun the geared. Holier than thou attitude prevails. Now it's divide and conquer and the community is a mere demographic for the marketers. Certain frame makers who once would make a number of different frames for all types of riders now bow before the trend alter - SS only or 29 only - because this is what creates the appearence of credibility in the eyes of the faithful. We are all in the special club because of what we ride and we feel special, better than everyone else. Give me a break!

    I've concluded that the "moment" is over. It is sad, but it happens to many phenonmenons (Burning Man, SoCal punk, Phish, etc.). I will ride my singlespeed forever, but I don't feel part of a cultural movement anymore. Pockets of resistance will live on, but the community is inflitrated.
    If you spend less time worrying about what others are saying and doing and more time on your bike, you'll be a lot happier.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyson45
    It also seems that the community has gone exclusive.
    I've concluded that the "moment" is over. .

    Just my two cents here, but it seems that this "community" you speak of is an invention you've created. I feel no particular attachment or allegience to others who ride bikes with one gear, nor do I expect them to consider me their brethren. This isn't a fraternity. There is no "SS community," except in your mind.

    Similarly, the "moment" you've laid to rest never occured in the first place. Some people decided to try singlespeeding. Then some more. Then it got hyped and marketed. At what point did the "moment" come? Somewhere between the first guy and the 500th? It's not like this was some grass-roots movement or something, with an agenda, meetings and handshakes. Again, there is no fraternity, no community, no movement, no moment.

    You're mourning the loss of something that never existed, except in ad copy and bike magazine articles.
    Last edited by Fixintogo; 11-21-2005 at 10:31 PM.

  47. #47
    Bearlike
    Reputation: Littlebear73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    163

    Singleminded

    I would guess the Brotherhood Of One Gear attitude comes from having other noses looking down at your, because you "with the SS" will:
    1. wreck your knees
    2. go impatent
    3. get a one-way trip to the looney bin in Las Vegas, NM.

    Enough of that being told to ya and, Bingo!..........One Mindset to go
    Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage.-E. Abbey

  48. #48
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Jeezus, just ride your bike and stop worring about the ****ing culture.

    The ride is what you make it. If the moment is over for you it's only because you let it happen...
    Well said.
    While trying to comment on the absurdity of the "culture," the original poster spoke absurdly.

    So, hydro's or mech's?

  49. #49
    the good names are taken
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    190
    I think a lot of people are missing his original point... I don't understand the "cultural movement" but he wasn't ever saying it was exclusive or better than others... he seemed to be merely talking about simplicity, taking a crap bike and making it singlespeed for one reason, to ride it, not to be cool, but just to ride the crap out of it and not think about equipment.

    I think it's common when people get a group that you will start seeing singlespeed rides and things like that... it's unfortunate if they shun geared riders, I watched some pretty strong friends ride their singlespeeds while I was geared for quite awhile before I asked why would I want to do the same.

    I guess I'm one of the lemmings... riding my $180 Trek 3900 with a $40 singleator.... my Fuel sits lonely in the garage and every now and then I miss it... I still love bombing the trails with it, but the impure SS I have is just an exercise in pure simplicity that really makes me look forward to getting on it often.... if I have to be labeled a lemming, I guess I can only hope it makes me a better rider...

  50. #50
    Bearlike
    Reputation: Littlebear73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by SpareTireScott
    ... my Fuel sits lonely in the garage and every now and then I miss it... I still love bombing the trails with it, but the impure SS I have is just an exercise in pure simplicity that really makes me look forward to getting on it often.... I guess I can only hope it makes me a better rider...
    That's why I'm selling my Moto-Lite
    Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage.-E. Abbey

  51. #51
    Waiting to exhale.
    Reputation: SMOKEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,032

    "Death makes lemmings of us all"

    Quote Originally Posted by SpareTireScott
    I think a lot of people are missing his original point... I don't understand the "cultural movement" but he wasn't ever saying it was exclusive or better than others... he seemed to be merely talking about simplicity, taking a crap bike and making it singlespeed for one reason, to ride it, not to be cool, but just to ride the crap out of it and not think about equipment.

    I think it's common when people get a group that you will start seeing singlespeed rides and things like that... it's unfortunate if they shun geared riders, I watched some pretty strong friends ride their singlespeeds while I was geared for quite awhile before I asked why would I want to do the same.

    I guess I'm one of the lemmings... riding my $180 Trek 3900 with a $40 singleator.... my Fuel sits lonely in the garage and every now and then I miss it... I still love bombing the trails with it, but the impure SS I have is just an exercise in pure simplicity that really makes me look forward to getting on it often.... if I have to be labeled a lemming, I guess I can only hope it makes me a better rider...
    True dat.
    Although I have always hated the word, and more importantly the meaning behind "lemming", it seems like no matter what anyone does, we are all lemmings in one way or another. Look at matt chester, the guy is pretty unique to say the least. Under the word "simplicity" you will find reference to MC in the dictionary (just kidding). To me the guy is pretty "not-normal" compared to the people I know and the world 'that I see'. But what happens when there are a few people who agree with his "philosophies" and want to adopt some of his ways into their lifestyle? Is matt chester then a lemming along with the group of people who dig his style? I guess so.
    I went on a group ride recently and this guy was asking me about my bike. After he finished asking me about my lack of gears, no suspension and my mary bars, he turned to his friend and said something like "you know what would be cool for the next trend" And he started mocking rigid SS bikes. Its obvious that some think its a trend, maybe it is. I guess as long as I ride my bike and have fun without an elitist attitude, the jokes on them. I really wanted to say to the guy after a few miles, "The only "trend" here is me smoking you up these hills and having to wait at the top", but I didn't.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17

    Operator error

    [Now that I have said this, I have admitted (in some fashion) that I care what people on this forum think, having now made an observation of my own. I just blew my mind…[/QUOTE]

    I just sprayed coffee all over my keyboard, I think it is coming out my eyes...that picture is priceless...

  53. #53
    Tig
    Tig is offline
    I ride, therefore I am.
    Reputation: Tig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I've got some cool ti/carbon ones on the way from Mountain High Cyclery. Saves 5 grams per knee and I'm getting a sweet deal from larry. I'm going to do the installation myself, how hard can it be.
    I got into knee replacement because of its simplicity, in terms of attitude, bend style and the knee, and because of the shared mindset that obsession over equipment is unhealthy. Just get out and bend - right?

    I've concluded that the "moment" is over. I will use my old skool replacement knee forever, but I don't feel part of a cultural movement anymore. Pockets of resistance will live on, but the community is inflitrated.
    __________________

    The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    135
    At least she's got a helmet on...even if it's bacckurds.

    I'm starting a blog called "SingleSpeedInlaw" where I'll talk about chardonnay, recumbents, bar-end stacking, panniers and little orange flags. Stay tuned.

  55. #55
    Tig
    Tig is offline
    I ride, therefore I am.
    Reputation: Tig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    232

    Cool-blue Rhythm The moment is NOW

    Oops, the moment that just now passed, is, um, passed, so don't count that one.
    OK, try this moment...
    right..
    about...
    NOW!!!
    There, see what I mean?


    OK, but seriously, "the moment" is any time you are doing something, anything, that, ah, well, defines you, or connects with something special inside you, or even better, makes you a part of something much larger and greater (nature, for example). We all have those moments, and a long series of continuous moments is what makes up a ride. I know I'm not talking about the same "moment" as you are, but sometimes the passionate writing bug has to crawl out. Bear with me!

    The whole, complete riding experience is just as important as the acute moments that we seek. The collection of those many simple little and big things, like:
    lubing a chain;
    the burn in your muscles;
    putting on your riding shoes;
    mounting new tires;
    wiping sweat from your eyes;
    losing control of your breathing at the top of a climb;
    nailing a tight, difficult technical section;
    smelling the perfume of the first Spring flowers;
    talking with a friend on a fire road;
    getting up from a crash that turned out to be not so bad;
    feeling the warm sun on your face when you break from the trees on a cool day,
    and on and on...
    That's what we ride for. Everything else are the details that can easily be ignored, if we choose.

    __________________

    The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  56. #56
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    "The Rebel Sell"
    Joseph Heath and Andrew Potter.

    Perhaps they would care to comment...

    If you haven't read it, this thread certainly applies.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    575
    Hey, no one told me how to do the hand shake!!!

    I'm with Spinwheelz on this one...."movements" are for "lookatmes" and sheep
    What is wrong with sheep??

  58. #58
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,748

    This Thread Is Still Going?

    There is a singlespeed movement? I had no idea. I guess that means that I'm one of the interlopers that have infiltrated the inner sanctum of the resistence?

    Ride what you like, like what you ride. What else is there to this "movement"?

    Ken

  59. #59
    Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Reputation: OneGearGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,707
    One of my favorite "moments" is the "movement" I have after a nice long ride in the woods.
    Coffee and cycling... Nature's broom at it's finest!
    "Sending a fax to Tokyo!!"

    OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

  60. #60
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,705

    Single Speed Movement

    I had a movement today just before riding my single speed, does this count as a "single speed movement"?

    I have never seen myself as part of a "movement". I just enjoy, believe in, and have to ride, ss, fixed, gears, HT, FS, or rigid. If you're a cyclist you are already a "nutjob" to most people.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,768

    Check yourself

    Unless it's you're money why do you care? You are worse than any of the people you complained about. Just ride and don't sweat what everyone else is doing with there bikes and money. For me the jury is still out on ss so I built a dented second hand 1fg I picked up for $250 with headshock and stem, a gusset kit for $20, a $20 second hand wheelset and a bunch of junk I had lying around. If I actually start to really enjoy myself I'll upgrade through the roof to make lighter and faster and you're opinion won't effect my decisions at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •