Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Now 72 POE!

  1. #1
    Did I catch a niner?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,337

    ... and if we just ... Now 72 POE!

    So I bought an inner drive from White Industries for my amazing 20t freewheel. Specifically the trails inner drive, which will give me 72 points of engagement. Most say this is Chris King quality at about the quarter the price!

    Super easy to do, took about a minute.

    Pieces:

    I had already removed outer casing of FW

    Old inner drive:


    New inner drive:


    Tada!

    Just the same.

    And a new fun top cap:


    Instant Engagement
    This post helped me do it.
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 11-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    97
    Where'd you get that cap? I want one!!

  3. #3
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    ... Most say this is Chris King quality at about the quarter the price!

    ...
    Huh. I did not know Chris King offered freewheels... even @ 4x the cost.

    --sParty

    P.S. ... and if not, just to make it a fair fight, where's the rest of your hub and how much did that cost?
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  4. #4
    Executive User - UK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    797
    Thats 1/4 King quality at a 1/4 of the King price!

  5. #5
    Did I catch a niner?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Huh. I did not know Chris King offered freewheels... even @ 4x the cost.

    --sParty

    P.S. ... and if not, just to make it a fair fight, where's the rest of your hub and how much did that cost?
    I have a Paul WORD hub and it was $119

    I got it on ebay from Fast Freddy
    http://stores.ebay.com/Fast-Freddy-Four
    That's his store, he has a lot of other ones. Its not plastic or cheap nice quality.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I have a Paul WORD hub and it was $119

    I got it on ebay from Fast Freddy
    http://stores.ebay.com/Fast-Freddy-Four
    That's his store, he has a lot of other ones. Its not plastic or cheap nice quality.
    Damn Fast Freddy!! I have the single speed one... going to order that one too!!!

  7. #7
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I have a Paul WORD hub and it was $119

    ...
    Okay, I admit to giving you a bit of a hard time here, but you said you paid $119 for your hub. I found a WI trials FW online for $90 (list $120) so you're into this for at least $209 (I assume you paid something for your 20t FW cog, too).

    I found a CK SS rear hub online (Cambria) for $399.

    So it's looking less like 1/4 the cost and more like something above 1/2 cost. Factor in the weight savings and... well... I dunno.

    I see you did a strikeout on your initial 1/4 cost comment. Again, I wasn't coming after you, just thought I'd put things in perspective.

    --sParty

    P.S. 72 POE is cool.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  8. #8
    master blaster
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    haha

  9. #9
    Did I catch a niner?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Okay, I admit to giving you a bit of a hard time here, but you said you paid $119 for your hub. I found a WI trials FW online for $90 (list $120) so you're into this for at least $209 (I assume you paid something for your 20t FW cog, too).

    I found a CK SS rear hub online (Cambria) for $399.

    So it's looking less like 1/4 the cost and more like something above 1/2 cost. Factor in the weight savings and... well... I dunno.

    I see you did a strikeout on your initial 1/4 cost comment. Again, I wasn't coming after you, just thought I'd put things in perspective.

    --sParty

    P.S. 72 POE is cool.
    I paid $55 for the 20t locally and I know you were just razzing me.

    Just got back from a ride and the extra poe is nice in technical areas, that were it seems to shine most. For all out speed though I think the 36poe is better.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,688
    OP, how much did the new driver cost from White? Also, do you happen to know the weight difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    So it's looking less like 1/4 the cost and more like something above 1/2 cost. Factor in the weight savings and... well... I dunno.
    I did a weight comparison a while back, and there was virtually no weight savings of one over the other.

  11. #11
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    ...
    I did a weight comparison a while back, and there was virtually no weight savings of one over the other.
    Huh. Not being a weight weenie, I don't weigh stuff (don't even own a scale besides the one in my bathroom) but I expected the CK hub + cog + spacers + lockring to weight less than the Word hub + WI FW. Dunno why I thought this... I guess I imagined that WI FW to be a bit of a boat anchor, strictly relatively speaking -- no offense intended whatsoever.

    I do know the WI FW enjoys superior design & construction. If I ran a FW compatible hub, I'd be running a WI FW no question.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  12. #12
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Huh. Not being a weight weenie, I don't weigh stuff (don't even own a scale besides the one in my bathroom) but I expected the CK hub + cog + spacers + lockring to weight less than the Word hub + WI FW. Dunno why I thought this... I guess I imagined that WI FW to be a bit of a boat anchor, strictly relatively speaking -- no offense intended whatsoever.

    I do know the WI FW enjoys superior design & construction. If I ran a FW compatible hub, I'd be running a WI FW no question.

    --sParty
    i think he was refering to the weight difference between the 36 and 72POE, not the CK vs WI.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    682
    For all out speed though I think the 36poe is better.
    Why do you think so?

  14. #14
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i think he was refering to the weight difference between the 36 and 72POE, not the CK vs WI.
    Okay... I was talkin' about the whole shootin' match, since the price comparison was on the whole shootin' match. So I just assumed...

    I mean some folks are willing to spend a hole bunch mo' money in order to save a few grams. You know what I'm sayin'?

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,688
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i think he was refering to the weight difference between the 36 and 72POE, not the CK vs WI.
    Sorry, I was referring to the whole shebang, CK vs. WI. They're very comparable weight wise, and will leapfrog each other depending on options. If you want to save weight going with a cassette, you need to step up to a truly lightweight hub like the DT 240.

    You can see below how they compare out of the box. The weight of the Paul hub will drop an additional 15g or so by simply using White washers. So you can see, there really isn't much difference in weight between the two systems.

    CK SS disc - 401g
    CK 18t cog - 37g
    Spacers - 6g
    lock ring - 4g
    Total - 448g

    Paul WORD disc - 280g
    White 18t freewheel - 181g
    Total - 461g

  16. #16
    Did I catch a niner?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkje
    Why do you think so?
    Less drag is what I noticed right away with a 36 POE.


    The WI is a bit of a boat anchor. My roommates XT cassette weighs far less then it, not sure on this Hope Pro 2 hub weight but I think his rear is about the same as mine in weight and he has a full 9 speeds.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    682
    Ah, I see. I'm running a standard WI on both of my bikes but I don't let the weight trouble me. I absolutely love the reliability!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    The WI is a bit of a boat anchor. My roommates XT cassette weighs far less then it, not sure on this Hope Pro 2 hub weight but I think his rear is about the same as mine in weight and he has a full 9 speeds.
    The weight is deceiving. The WI 20t weighs about 200g, while the a 11-32t XT 9 speed cassette weighs about 255g. The WI feels heavier because the weight is concentrated in a smaller area.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •