Thread: Novel idea.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Novel idea.....

I'm pretty sure its been thought of before, but I'm thinking if I have a fixed rear cog....with a chain tensioner.....whats to stop me from running a 2 gear front. Having just the granny chainring and the 32 tooth chainring. With just those two gears there really wouldnt be any terrain I couldn't conquer Thus having a doublespeed. Anyone done this?

P.S The tensioner I ordered is the spring loaded single cog type.
    8 is great

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You can't run a fixed gear with a chain tensioner. If you don't believe me, go ahead and try it.

Also, most chain tensioners probably can't take up enough slack to work for both a 22 and a 32 chainring.

So, if you wanted a 2 speed that you could shift manually by picking up the chain and dropping it on the other chainring, your best bet would be to use a rear derailleur and a single cog in the back but with a freewheel and not fixed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Maybe I used the wrong terminology..lol. I just mean a single cog.......but your other part answered my question...they wont move like a deraleur basically...
    8 is great

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NovakanX
    Maybe I used the wrong terminology..lol. I just mean a single cog.......but your other part answered my question...they wont move like a deraleur basically...
    Add another chain ring - keep the tooth count on the inner and outer ring/cog to a multiple of 2, and your chain length will be the same. I have a bike with a 34/18 and a 36/16 setup on it, using a push-up spring tensioner. I have to stop and reposition the tensioner wheel to align under the cog when I change gears but that only takes a minute or so.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.