mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Notes on On-One Carbon Forks

I am running an On-One carbon fork on my rigid bike with a Phil Wood disc hub. When mounted the disk rotor rubs against the forged dropout. I have switched the Phil Wood wheel out for a Chris King and observed the same thing. In order to make everything work, I end up putting a washer between the hub and the disk side drop out.

In my mind, this is less then an ideal solution and I decided to email On-One about my compatibility issue. Their response was this, we are aware of the problem and hope to solve this problem with the development of a carbon fiber monocoque fork.

Anyone else have this problem? Any innovative DIY solutions? Do other similar forks,i.e. White Bro... have similar issues?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the Origin8 fork and it didn't rub on my rotor when running a Redline hub, my wheels are being re-laced with King hubs as we speak, we'll see if it rubs soon.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

More than a little slow
    I've been running the On-One carbon fork on my Inbred (26") since 2008 with a couple of different hubs (PlanetX and Misfit) with no issues.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    To clarify, he said that Shimano hubs would not rub. So I think only certain brands will have clearance issues.

The original post was just a public service announcement about a compatibility issue that is already known by the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I got my wheels back today and no rubbing so far. It's close to the dropout of the fork but it shouldn't rub. The Origin8 fork should be similar to the White Bros and others like it.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had the exact same problem using a Shimano XT hub and Avid BB7 brakes. I also contacted On-One and the shop where I bought the forks. On-one gave a very vague answer which basically said the design clearance is 1mm and some combinations of hubs and forks just don't work. The shop were also aware of the issue and told me they had seen problems with some combinations.

The shop was great (Unreal Cycles) and offered me a refund plus a set of steel On-one forks if I wanted them. I ended up returning the forks for a refund and buying some different steel rigid forks that matched the frame I had.

Personally, I believe there must be a design issue with the forks as everyone is working to the same international standards and should be able to allow for clearances. Especially as I was not using any obscure brands of hubs and brakes.

Pity really as the forks did look great and many people give them excellent reviews.

mtbr member
    I have a on one carbon fork, great fork...and I abuse it
    That said the rotor is VERY, VERY close to the dropout. Running Hope pro II hubs

metrotuned WoS
    I feel ya pain. Same thing to me when I ran a custom steel fork and a Magura brake. It pissed me off to no end, a custom fork is not exactly returnable for a refund. It was spec'd by the builder, ironically, to a Shimano XT brake. Shimano is not the defacto and using Shimano as the "standard" doesn't help. Case in point with our experiences, use 3 different manufacturer's to be safe. Let's send this to their secretary thanks.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout