mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Not sure if I can/want to go back (to a geared)..

This year I really planned to tackle the single speed concept even though my first attempt was in 2007 and hated it (another post). I have been putting a lot of miles on my single this season and while its known that there is no magic ratio, I have been climbing terrain and obstacles I know I didn't clear in the past, plus doing them faster. In the past I would simply drop down to the granny and spin away loosing all momentum and still not clearing some things. I have been mountain biking since 1998 (technically single speeding up until that point ), and thought I had developed some skill over the years, but I think, and not to quote the "Water Boy", the granny gear is the devil. I haven't even missed my much more expensive geared bike. I can't believe I am saying that.. The only way I think I can ride faster on my geared is on the flats.
    One Gear Under God

Just Ride
    granny is the devil. Makes you weak. Or lazy, or both. SS really has 2 gears when climbing, stand and mash or walk.

I kinda miss gears for the speed on the flats. Other than that I don't miss it at all! Granted my lap times for a given trail are slower than last year, but last year I had gears for the flats plus I rode damn near every day. This year, no gears, far less saddle time and a whole lot more fun!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm in the same boat. Recently tried SS, and love it. Times at my local trail, ,are a bit slower(10 min, over 25 miles). I don't care though. I mainly ride for fun, and my rigid SS is more fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
    I mainly ride for fun, and my rigid SS is more fun.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    How can a single speed be more fun, but for perception?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Not sure if I can/want to go back (to a geared)..

Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    If we have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    I'll try. the bike is lighter, more like the bmx I grew up on. I no longer need to think about which gear I am in, and when I should shift. No longer need to think about the fork. how much air pressure? did I remember to lock it out for the climb? unlock it for the decent?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Dare I say this, but like I mentioned in SS there is no magic gear, however in a geared bike there is no magic shift point. You often loose (even for a split second) some of your momentum when you shift down, or if you shift too early end up spinning too much. Most all of this can be compensated for though experience, but it still is a factor even in for the most seasoned rider.
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    I had the exact same experience. after 22 years of mountain biking and 16 years of FS I bought a SS last August just for fun. The entire experience is just different. You have to feel it to understand. Although I can say that my technical climbing ability has vastly improved and I believe I'm in the best shape of my life.
    I never thought it would happen but 3 months ago I sold my FS which cost 3 times what my SS did. I just didn't have a desire to ride it anymore.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    On my singlespeed I'm always in the wrong gear, on a geared bike I'm always in the wrong, wrong gear.

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    If we have to explain, you wouldn't understand.
    +1
    I know its more fun by this ratio: how often I'm on my ss wishing I'd brought a geared bike vs when I'm on a geared bike wishing for my ss. The latter wins hands down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    I kinda miss gears for the speed on the flats.
    +1

The worst was during my first ever race with a single speed, when a dude passed me on the flats. Not cuz he passed me, rather that he still had a kickstand mounted...

mtbr member
    I still ride a SS, but this year I switched over to a 1x9 on my hardtail. IMO, it's a pretty nice compromise between SS and a full set of gears.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I started SS'ing first and just recently picked up a FS. I ocassionally miss gears when hitting the downhills, but for the most part learned a lot of good habits while riding SS. It taught me how to pace myself better through a course, pick better lines and push harder uphills even when on my FS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I figure since the weather has calmed down here more, I will be trying my hand again at my geared for the season, but will not be shifting down to granny and push myself just as I have on the SS. I realized riding geared made me lazy and a less strong rider. To convert my geared over to a SS it would cost me as much as my entire Singlespeed build.
    One Gear Under God