Thread: Noodle-y cranks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Noodle-y cranks

So, as I'm searching and reading old threads about crankset choice, this seems to come up quite a bit. I have a 5-bolt for a 42 tooth ring on my SS, which is so wobbly that it flexes while I'm rocking the bike seated. I would like to keep things as simple as possible on this bike (ST), so I guess my question is this:

How much does brand matter, versus construction (cold forged seems to be ideal?). How would Sugino/All City/Andel, etc, stack up compared to something like White Industries stuff?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I can't say I have ever felt undue flex in my cranks even back in the 80's. Sure some feel stiffer than others but it is such a small thing to me. Are you talking road cranks? I would think if you get a mtb set it won't be an issue as they will be made to take more load. Cheap cranks should be fine. I am running ST on all my bikes now bar one. Mostly when people talk about stiffness they are referring to the BB set up not so much the arms I would have thought.

nothing to see here
    If set on ST, then look at Middleburn. I find mine very stiff, not as stiff as my old SLX cranks but way more reliable.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, it's set up on a Cross Check. I've never had issues like this with a ST bottom bracket, so I figured it was the cranks.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Yeah, it's set up on a Cross Check. I've never had issues like this with a ST bottom bracket, so I figured it was the cranks.
    Like Stevob my ST middleburns have been good. I felt my slx a little stiffer but limited with heel clearance and adjustability. Out of curiousity what type of cranks have you got that feel flexy? If you are feeling it where you haven't before it could be the cranks. Unless it is the frame...or wheelset...how much do you weigh? I am not heavy so probably don't stress cranks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They're no-name Andel cranks, fairly nondescript. They aren't listed on Andel's website.

I'm 165ish, the bike is currently holding all my stuff, so it's just me on the cranks. I'm not worried about the wheels, as I rebuilt them (stock wheels, granted, but plenty of good, even tension). As far as the frame goes, I just don't know. It's my first experience with it, but I'd err on the side of it not being the issue, as I've never had it happen with any other frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm willing to bet it your frame. If it happens to be your cranks/CR, get a set of DA 7710/7600 144bcd track cranks. Plenty stiff.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    To check it's your frame, when you crank down on the pedals, check the tyre clearance in the chainstays. If you see your frame closing up on the tyre, it'll likely be frame or wheels. Sounds, like it isn't wheels. If you aren't used to a small diameter steel frame it could just be that. A bit of flex isn't a big issue. That kind of frame probably isn't built for stiffness, moreso compliance. You aren't heavy so if it is really obvious maybe check hub play or dropouts etc. I don't do loaded riding...is it possible the weight of the load could contribute to the way the bike flexes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Whelp, case closed, I guess. Put some weight on the cranks and the frame was the thing flexing. I'll file that away in things to remember

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    glad you sorted it out.