Dain Bramaged

No power on rear Avid disc (x-post from Brakes)

I just installed a new Avid disc on the rear of my Surly. I installed a used one on the front a few months ago and it works great - tons of power. For the rear I ran full housing with a Paul V lever. After following the directions and setting the pads correctly, I still get virtually no power in the rear. I have the return spring adjustment cranked almost completely down (max tension) and still no improvement.

So...
    1). Should I use the cable stops on the frame instead of full housing?
    2.) Wait for break-in, loosen the cable, re-align the CPS and pads, and try again?
    3.) Any little tricks I might be missing?

Yes I read the FAQ on the Brakes page already.
    Thanks-

Dij

One gear to rule them all

New question here.

Why did you crank down the return spring? Are you having problems with the caliper not returning?
    As for your power question.. Are the pads getting full contact with the rotor? Are the pads parallel to the rotor?
    If everything is adjusted correctly. I would say the pads/rotor are contaminated. You will have to clean the rotors and bake the pads, if that is the case.
    That's all I could think of, I have never had any issues with mine.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dijridoo
    I just installed a new Avid disc on the rear of my Surly. I installed a used one on the front a few months ago and it works great - tons of power. For the rear I ran full housing with a Paul V lever. After following the directions and setting the pads correctly, I still get virtually no power in the rear. I have the return spring adjustment cranked almost completely down (max tension) and still no improvement.

So...
    1). Should I use the cable stops on the frame instead of full housing?
    2.) Wait for break-in, loosen the cable, re-align the CPS and pads, and try again?
    3.) Any little tricks I might be missing?

Yes I read the FAQ on the Brakes page already.
    Thanks-

Dij
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

no gears, no tears
    I ran Avid disks on my full squish bike for over a year. When i first installed them they sucked big time, really mushy and no power. After a couple rides they got MUCH nicer. Really strong and great modulation. The pads and the rotor need to be broken in before you'll get good performance out of them. Find a long downhill and get going real quick and drag the brake to get it nice and hot. This should break it in faster. If that doesn't work, you need to bake your pads (or get new ones) and clean the rotor with alcohol.They could be contaminated. Even skin oils from your fingers can contaminate the pads.

hands up who wants to die
    I would check the CPS alignment again, make sure the pads are in correctly and then try to break them in a little (20 hard stops or so).

full vs. semi housing issues wouldn't cause near-total lack of power.

-r

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If all else fails, try swapping the front pads and rotor to the rear, to see if it's anything with the rear pad/rotor combo (contamination) or the brake cable/caliper.

Should tell you where the problem is

-T