achiever

No Mud Monocog in New England (X-post from Passion)

It finally dried out up here in MA this week (showers tomorrow, of course) so I got in some ride time on the Holyoke Range in Granby and Amherst.

On the climb up to the Notch Visitors Center
    Img_3545mod

No man's land between the Earl's and B-street trail systems
    Img_3581mod

Climbing a bit of Technical Trail to get to Viper
    Img_3617mod_filtered

Huffing it one of the climbs on Viper
    Img_3637mod_filtered

Some Jaocb's Ladder love for Jesse
    Img_3662mod

Spent a few hours out there. The bugs were unbelievable due in part to both the wet weather and a regional bat die off. I got chowed pretty bad repairing 2 flats. I'll take it though, 75degrees and very low humidity in August was a pleasant surprise and a preview of an early fall day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Those trails treated me pretty well this weekend, minus getting lost out there in Earl's maze for an extra hour or so. I just moved here about a year ago and finally found time to ride once the classes went away for the summer. Any other good trails for rigids out in these parts?

achiever
    Robinson SP in Agawam is right up there with Earl's. Tighter and twistier but with less climbing. If you want to go sometime, shoot me a PM, you'll need a guide.

Red

mtbr member
    For the record, I've often (unintentionally) run very low tire pressures on the stock Monocog rims and in a year and a half of hard riding have never had a flat. If you had two flats on the same ride, you either had a bad day or your pressures are too low.

achiever
    Yeah, I run about 20 in the back and 18 in the front for smoother trails. I neglected to boost the pressure up to 23/20 and nailed a rock hard and pinch flatted the front. I patched that and went to bump up the pressure in the rear and the tube failed at the valve stem.