mtbr member

Ninner Fork Pros & Cons

I have an El Mariachi SS (XL) Special Edition and was considering the Ninner Fork. The bike shop told me that I would benefit from this fork. Other than 1 lb of weight what are the Pros and Cons to this. I love the way the bike feels now with the stock fork. I rather spend my money on a set of XT brakes for it or a stiffer stronger crank.
    Anyone remember the days when Signatures were called Taglines?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainstretcher View Post
    I rather spend my money on a set of XT brakes for it or a stiffer stronger crank.
    Then you should do that...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Then you should do that...
    x2.

The Niner fork (for me) reduced front end weight, quietened trail chatter and still kept the steering super precise.

It had no cons for me.

But if you'd rather spend the money elsewhere then do that. Buy the fork when you are ready...

mtbr member
    Thanks so far, also how about this; Tapered or Straight? My head tube would accept both.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'd go tapered, but there were some good deals on the straight-tubed ones a while back...

Combat Wombat
    I am guessing we are talking Niner's carbon fork? I would be curious to hear that shop's explanation on exactly how you would benefit from the Niner, especially when you are already very happy with the current fork. The Niner is a sweet fork, but sure is alot of cash just to save a pound. I have two Salsa Cro-Moto forks and consider them to be one of the better forks out there for the money. I would spend the cash on those brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My Niner fork was nice, lived up to the hype. However, since you have the '13 Salsa SS edition, I would never, ever trade the matching orange cromoto fork on it! That matching combo still has me drooling since the first pics were released! I never tried a cromoto, but I've had a Monocog steel, and now a Vassago Odis, and prefer steel over my Niner and WB carbon. Sure, the carbons were lighter, but the steel forks are much smoother to me. +1 on that XT brakeset instead. Those also have lived up to the hype for me.

mtbr member
    I also ride El Mariachi with matching cromoto fork. I like it much more than my ritchey carbon fork I had on my 26 bike. I haven't tried niner fork, but i think that it rides not so much better than steel, but it's much more expensive.

Gigantic Hawk
    I've had my Niner fork on my Canfield for 2 seasons now. I love the lightness of it. It also smooths out the chatter a bit. On big hits, it still feels like a rigid fork. It's made of carbon, not magic. I also get some chatter when using the brakes. Not all the time, but sometimes it feels like my headset is loose. I hear it's a common thing with these forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vincavinz View Post
    I'd go tapered, but there were some good deals on the straight-tubed ones a while back...
    I think Jenson's still selling 1-1/8 fork for $300 or something - limited color choice though.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

meatier showers
    A rigid fork is a rigid fork.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    it's made of carbon, not magic.
    +1
    +1
    +1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    A rigid fork is a rigid fork.

--sParty
    False! I have ridden 5 different rigid forks in the last year and there are good and bad rigid forks. my favorite is the Niner carbon paired up with a fat 2.4 tire at 19 PSI, least favorite is the steel Niner fork, I really liked the Salsa steel fork though and it is lighter than the niner steel fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have an El Mariachi SS (not the current design, but the red one with the Bushnell EBB) & ran it a couple years with the matching steel fork. Then I put a Niner carbon fork on it late summer last year. I was impressed with way the fork tracked in rough corners & the weight savings. Definitely worth the upgrade. That being said, I think upgrading to the XT brakes would be the best way to go...HUGE fan of those brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevrev97 View Post
    False! I have ridden 5 different rigid forks in the last year and there are good and bad rigid forks. my favorite is the Niner carbon paired up with a fat 2.4 tire at 19 PSI, least favorite is the steel Niner fork, I really liked the Salsa steel fork though and it is lighter than the niner steel fork.
    A rigid fork is rigid.

Better?

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yes, my point is they aren't all created equal. But they are all rigid.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by trevrev97 View Post
    Um... not false. I said, "A rigid fork is a rigid fork." Are you saying a rigid fork is not a rigid fork?

I didn't say all rigid forks are identical. I said they're all rigid. I've owned plenty of rigid forks, including carbon. There are minor differences but in the end they're more similar than they are different, regardless of how little they weigh, how magical the brand name, which material(s) are used to assemble them or how much they cost. That's not a knock, it's a truth.

I'm saying get the brakes.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I switched from a Niner carbon fork to a Salsa steel fork, and prefer the ride of the steel fork even if it makes the front end a bit heavier. If you're happy with your fork, keep it and upgrade something you're not happy with.

I don't know what brakes you're currently running, but upgrading to XTs from Elixer 5s was a much bigger difference than the fork swap for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Um... not false. I said, "A rigid fork is a rigid fork." Are you saying a rigid fork is not a rigid fork?

I didn't say all rigid forks are identical. I said they're all rigid. I've owned plenty of rigid forks, including carbon. There are minor differences but in the end they're more similar than they are different, regardless of how little they weigh, how magical the brand name, which material(s) are used to assemble them or how much they cost. That's not a knock, it's a truth.

I'm saying get the brakes.

--sParty
    hahaha OK,.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I've had my Niner fork on my Canfield for 2 seasons now. I love the lightness of it. It also smooths out the chatter a bit. On big hits, it still feels like a rigid fork. It's made of carbon, not magic. I also get some chatter when using the brakes. Not all the time, but sometimes it feels like my headset is loose. I hear it's a common thing with these forks.
    What Up Thang? SSAP13 for you?
    I had some chatter with the 9r carbon on my SIR9. It was the only thing I didn't like about it. I was never able to diagnose the source of it.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    What Up Thang? SSAP13 for you?
    I had some chatter with the 9r carbon on my SIR9. It was the only thing I didn't like about it. I was never able to diagnose the source of it.
    SSAP for sure, buddy. Should be a great race this year.

A plethora of pinatas
    I too love my Niner carbon fork. But, I also love my XT brakes and XT cranks. If you could afford it, buy them all! If you hunt around on eBay & CL, you should be able to find some great deals on used ones.

I do switch between my carbon fork and suspension fork from time to time. My preference is the rigid fork if the trails that I am riding are not too crazy. Just switched to the suspension fork for this weekend's SSAZ event.
    Marty

mtbr member
    I run a Niner fork and XT brakes. Both are great! If I was to choose one upgrade over the other it would be the brakes for sure. I don't know what brakes you are using now but, the XT feel better then any Avid product I've had and my buddy said he liked them better then his older XT and his new XTR.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I really enjoy riding this bike. I am going to get the XT brakes for it for sure.
    One more question what is the advantages of tapered tube to straight tube?
    Thanks guy for all your opinions they have been great.