mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Niner S.I.R. 9 - First SS, First Build

So my first real post on mtbr, taken me a while, need to stop being such a lurker. (My first 5 were so I could post this in the SS forum, rather than general).

I want to build a SS 29er, I've got some idea of the kind of bike I want, and I have the money (or will as I buy components) to put it together, but I don't have the knowledge. Maybe the mtbr community can give me a hand?

Some background: This will be my 4th mountain bike, 2nd I will own at the moment. My other is a Cube AMS 100 HPC pro, dual suspension, full carbon racey bike. I have been interested in single speeding for a while, have enough money to put a bike together now, but have never built a bike up myself before. My hope is that I can build a SS that is very durable and smooth on the trails. She doesn't have to be the fastest or lightest bike ever, but has to be something I want to ride. I'm hoping to get some advice on parts, especially any incompatabilities or truly woeful choices. I will update this post as I go, maybe even a little story about how it goes.

Frame (Intended): Niner S.I.R. 9, size medium. I have a friend who has one, he kindly let me ride it a few times. I was blown away by this bike. Maybe the combination of first steel bike+first 29er.

Brakes (Bought): Avid Elixir 7. Picked these up for $230 (w/o rotors) brand new.

Rotors (Intended): Shimano XT Disc (160mm) front and back.

Wheelset (Intended): Stan's Flow 29er rims, not sure on hubs. Will be riding tubeless...surely no issues with NoTubes!? What are thoughts on SS specific wheels and what is out there?

Cranks: Edit Shimano SLX or XT (Converting to SS is just removing the big and little rings right?)

Headset: ??? Niner recommends Chris King, have no experience with headsets.

Stem: Ritchey WCS C260

Bars: Ritchey WCS 10D (rode these on mates bike, very comfy, lots of leverage!)

Grips: ESI silicone grips (use on my other bike)

Forks: Rockshox Reba RL 29

Pedals: Shimano XT spd pedals.

Cog: ???

Tyres: I use specialized the captain and fast track on my other bike, so far liking them (size 2.2), will likely use them again.

Frame Treatment: I've read that it's important to treat steel frames with a rust guard like JP Weigle's Framesaver (can't post a link, post count too low, just google it). Is this necessary?

You can see I'm pretty new to the component choosing game. Any help is very much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Wurcker.
    Last edited by Wurcker; 02-18-2012 at 04:14 PM.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Converting Shimano XT or SLX to single is one of the best combos of weight, strength and value you can get.

King headsets are the gold standard, but I've had great luck with Cane Creek S3 and S8 headsets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Subscribed! I'll be watching this thread with interest, as I just bought a medium SIR 9 frame (received it yesterday!), with the Niner Carbon fork that I intend to build up over the next couple of months as I acquire the components. Both are in the Moondust Grey color. For now it will hang from the rafters in my garage like a mobile sculpture.

Here's what I am thinking of going with, but I am still researching and looking for advice on the whole build...

Brakes: Shimano XT or XTR maybe

Rotors: Shimano Ice Tech

Wheelset: WTB TCS rims (an all mountain oriented model)built up locally. Spokes TBD.

Hubs: Leaning towards Chris King ISO Single Speed but considering Stealth MTB Poacher SS, The White Industries MI6, and Phil Wood KISS-Off. The near instantaneous engagement of both the Chris King and Stealth have me leaning more towards those options, and the buzz of King vs. the silent Stealth is the main thing I am pondering. Most of my friends are running Chris King, although one has Phil Wood. I don't know anyone running the Stealth or the MI6.

Cranks: Not sure, but maybe XTR 175mm

Headset: Chris King in red Sotto Voce

Stem: Not sure, but maybe Thompson

Bars: Not sure, but pretty certain I'm going CF. Maybe Easton?

Grips: No idea yet.

Forks: Niner Carbon

Pedals: Either Crank Bros. or maybe Shimano XT or XTR. I'm running Crank Bros. Mallets on my Pivot Mach 5.7 (26"), and wondering if the Egg Beaters use the same cleats as the Mallets. I recently tried out some Shimano XT's on my buddy's SS, and I liked them a lot.

Cog: Depends on what hub I go with.

Tyres: Other than a TCS type, no idea yet. I am running Shimano The Captain (tubeless) on the rear of my Pivot, but have a tubed Kenda Nevegal on my front. When I wear through that I have another "Captain" to convert the front to tubeless. I like the Captain on the rear for my area (Southern California), and the Nevegal is a great front tire. I just wish I could get that tire in tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wurcker-

I as well as others here run non-outboard/external/whatever they are calling it now style BB's with the Biocentric with success. 73mm BB opposed to the 68mm. I run White Industries ENO's and couldn't be happier.

The SIR9 is a hell of a bike. I've put many miles on mine in the almost two years of owning it, and have talked several buddies into one. Hands down the best riding bike I've owned, and I've owned a bunch. The only reason I'd buy another one is if this one broke or they came out with the SIR in fridge green. Even at that I'd probably just throw gears on this one and keep it. Keep the EBB tight and make two wraps of teflon on the outside of the cups and you'll be golden. I replaced the stock EBB bolt with a more heavy duty one, I'd gladly send you a couple.

Nom de Guerre-

Pedals- Crank Bros is Crank Bros. They are either an eggbeater, or an eggbeater with a platform/cage of some sort. I run three different types and use the same cleat for all of them.
    Livin' the dream.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I agree with CB2, but I use a SAINT crank on one of my singlespeeds with chainring on outside, very square clean look in all black. Not much heavier than my XT and SLX cranks on other 2 bikes. The Saint is my favorite. Now they have all black XT though.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Sorry, forgot the most important thing, I love my SIR 9.

Did I catch a niner?
    I personally think the LX crankset is the best perforamancerice from what I have used. I do in fact have a set of XT cranks and was lucky enough to just use it's BB when I swapped to my LX set but at $89 from Jenson USA - Mountain & Road bike parts, apparel and accessories supplier they're hard to beat.

I have ridden a sir9 a few times and I liked the ride a lot it was rigid with a niner carbon fork and felt very good compared to my inbred with salsa fork, very smooth. I think it was the fork though more then anything.

And I am a Time pedals man, nothing beats a ATAC XS as my bottle opener
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey guys, when converting an SLX crankset to SS should I be replacing the chainring with a SS specific or will the 32 tooth middle cog be fine?

Thanks for the replies, learning a little bit every time.

@Oldskoolm4 What was the reasoning behind getting a sturdier bolt for the EBB (was it not holding without it?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just a quick update for anyone watching.

Went down to my LBS this morning to have a chattette about ordering in a SIR and lo and behold, a shiny kermit green medium was sitting upon the shelf (someone had put it on deposit but hadn't paid up in 6 months or something) so it was back on the market. Needless to say I paid the deposit on that.

While there I got talked into Reba RLTs and Stans Arch wheels, so they are on the way too.

So far thats
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 7s w/ HS1 Rotors (Bought)
    XT Pedals (Bought, $AU70 on chain reaction cycles right now if you want a bargain...)
    SIR9 medium, kermit green (Deposit Paid)
    Rock Shox Reba RLT (Deposit Paid)
    Stans ZTR Arch (Deposit Paid)

Just have to buy the rest of it now...amazing how quickly I can spend money. Time to get to work so I can feed the habit.

mtbr member
    Does the shock you ordered have a remote lockout lever? If you'll do a lot of climbing you'll want to lock out to avoid bobbing - the Reba is plush and comfy but bobs a ton when out of the saddle. Personally, I had a Reba but got tired of having to futz with the lockout and switched to a Fox Terralogic which is perfect for me.

Also, I found single speeding was tough on my wrists - what helped me was 1) a big sweep bar (Salsa Pro Moto carbon flat 17 degree) and 2) Ergon grips. Again, personal preference, but these made a BIG difference for me.

As for chainring - I'm guessing most folks go with SS specific rings, they run a bit smoother, but you can probably wait on that piece.

For headsets I would say Chris King or the Cane Creek 110. Chris King being the gold standard, 110 being on par/close second and has a 110 year warranty and is cheaper. If I had the money, I would get an HBC chainring. Wait time be damned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys, really helps a lot.

@Myers005 The Reba does have remote lockout. Wish it just came with lockout on the fork, I really dig the clean bars look. Then again, on my duallie I took the lockout off because I found I do so little fireroad or smooth trail climbing that I always wanted the suspension on anyway. I'm thinking of going the Ritchey 10D bar, its a 10 degree sweep but it goes forward from the center of the bar, then back. looks like an M in a way. terrible explanation.

@Monzie I've been reading a lot about the Homebrewed gear on this forum, what is the normal wait time? would it be shipped to AUS? (at the moment their website is down for me)
    Last edited by Wurcker; 02-20-2012 at 03:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    For headsets I would say Chris King or the Cane Creek 110. Chris King being the gold standard, 110 being on par/close second and has a 110 year warranty and is cheaper. If I had the money, I would get an HBC chainring. Wait time be damned.
    I put a Cane Creek 40 on my latest build. The CK that was on it was trashed due to previous owner abuse and neglect (so bad that it couldn't' be rebuilt). The Cane Creek is very nice compared to the older Chris King (newer are supposed to use the compression fitting instead of the ridiculous washer).

Biggest difference advantage for the CK is your large selection of colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurcker View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, really helps a lot.

@Monzie I've been reading a lot about the Homebrewed gear on this forum, what is the normal wait time? would it be shipped to AUS? (at the moment their website is down for me)
    At the risk of turning this thread into a HBC wait time discussion(please don't people), I hear it takes around three months but varies a lot and is longer around holidays. I'm sure he can ship to AUS. Here is a thread on the subject of wait time. Even if I had to wait three months or longer I would. All the people I know(on the internet and in person) who have his rings/cogs swear by them. The wait seems worth it to me and I'd be getting a ring and cog for the mountain bike and a ring for the BMX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow, HBC make some really really sexy looking gear. When I get home tonight I'm definitely going to place an order.

Just bought an SLX crankset, $114 delivered at the moment on Chain Reaction (that included using the "Happy12" code for $20 off).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wurcker View Post
    So my first real post on mtbr, taken me a while, need to stop being such a lurker. (My first 5 were so I could post this in the SS forum, rather than general).

I want to build a SS 29er, I've got some idea of the kind of bike I want, and I have the money (or will as I buy components) to put it together, but I don't have the knowledge. Maybe the mtbr community can give me a hand?

Some background: This will be my 4th mountain bike, 2nd I will own at the moment. My other is a Cube AMS 100 HPC pro, dual suspension, full carbon racey bike. I have been interested in single speeding for a while, have enough money to put a bike together now, but have never built a bike up myself before. My hope is that I can build a SS that is very durable and smooth on the trails. She doesn't have to be the fastest or lightest bike ever, but has to be something I want to ride. I'm hoping to get some advice on parts, especially any incompatabilities or truly woeful choices. I will update this post as I go, maybe even a little story about how it goes.

Frame (Intended): Niner S.I.R. 9, size medium. I have a friend who has one, he kindly let me ride it a few times. I was blown away by this bike. Maybe the combination of first steel bike+first 29er.

Brakes (Bought): Avid Elixir 7. Picked these up for $230 (w/o rotors) brand new.

Rotors (Intended): Shimano XT Disc (160mm) front and back.

Wheelset (Intended): Stan's Flow 29er rims, not sure on hubs. Will be riding tubeless...surely no issues with NoTubes!? What are thoughts on SS specific wheels and what is out there?

Cranks: Edit Shimano SLX or XT (Converting to SS is just removing the big and little rings right?)

Headset: ??? Niner recommends Chris King, have no experience with headsets.

Stem: Ritchey WCS C260

Bars: Ritchey WCS 10D (rode these on mates bike, very comfy, lots of leverage!)

Grips: ESI silicone grips (use on my other bike)

Forks: Rockshox Reba RL 29

Pedals: Shimano XT spd pedals.

Cog: ???

Tyres: I use specialized the captain and fast track on my other bike, so far liking them (size 2.2), will likely use them again.

Frame Treatment: I've read that it's important to treat steel frames with a rust guard like JP Weigle's Framesaver (can't post a link, post count too low, just google it). Is this necessary?

You can see I'm pretty new to the component choosing game. Any help is very much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Wurcker.
    Well...Where is yours?

Here is what I did.

White Ind hubs, Stans Arch Rims
    Kenda Small Block 8 - tubeless
    Fifteen G cranks 32t- (would have chosen WI, but Niner recommended against this in conjunction with the EBB)
    Niner cog - 18t
    Hope X2 brakes, rotors
    Chris King headset
    Thomson post, and stem
    Niner flat bars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'll post my build tonight, finished it yesterday, only just had my first ride on it!