Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Pedal Damn It!

Cool-blue Rhythm Niner One9 Build

This is where I'm starting. In the next 2 weeks this bike will be built. I just need some help deciding on the parts to use.

This bike will be ridden on light trails and mostly urban trips around town. I do a little bit of everything and this is my dream bike.

Here are all of the updates I originally posted on page 2 and 3 so the entire build will be in one post at the beginning.

She weighs in at 19.20 lbs and is insane to ride. I just want to ride all day.

Attachment 775570

Attachment 775571

Attachment 775572

Attachment 778392

Attachment 778393
    Last edited by TwoShoes; 03-07-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Stan's wheelset
    XT cranks (HT II)
    XT brakes or BB7's with compressionless housing
    Handlebars, seat/post, tires, etc. of your choosing.

mtbr member
    Shimano Saint from Chain Reaction on sale Shimano Saint M820 Crankset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com, and get a SS ring for around $40-50. I got a Niner ring from Jenson for around $40. With CK bottom bracket, it was around $400.

Race Face Turbine SS from Price Point is around $240, includes chain ring and bb, but bb will be have to be replaced within a year.

Truvativ AKA SS comes and goes from all 4 websites that I usually shop at (Chain Reaction, Jenson, Cambria, Price Point), always less then $150.

Truvativ Stylo SS around $170.

As for brakes, both Jenson and Chain Reaction are selling Shimano XT for less than $150 (Chain Reaction's cheaper). Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com. With rotors and adaptors, it'll be less than $350.

Handlebar, Stem, Seatpost - I like matching my ****, and I prefer 7000 aluminums. I got Race Face Turbine (spent close to $200). Truvativ AKA and Stlyo are comparable (AKA would be the cheapest of the three).

Wheels - I got my Flows with CK hubs (with DT spokes and Sapim nipples) for $680 plus shipping from Larry at Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels. He got one of the best prices. Other builders quoted me around $680-$750 for same wheel with Hope hubs. CK SS hub comes with 18t cog and fun bolt, so that's two less things to get (good skewer and a decent cog will be $50-80).

Tires - I got Panaracer Rampage, because they were reasonably cheap and light, and good enough (I think around $90 for 2?)

Headset - generally anything in the $50+ will last you for years.

Saddle - again, generally anything in the $50+ will be reasonably comfortable and light.

The rest - grip, bar plug, headset spacer, seat post clamp, chain, wheel skewers will be less than $100
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Pedal Damn It!
    I'm looking at the Shimano Saint or the Race Face Turbine SS. I won't need the BB from the Race Face as my frame came with one designed to adjust the chain tension.

I'm interested in the new Crank Brothers wheels but I would have to use the Sirly spacers to run those wheels as a single speed.

I do think I will go with some simple Avid BB7 mechanical brakes as I know how to work on them already. I've had a few hard tail 29ers in the past that used BB5's.

I want the Easton Monkeylite handlebars and a Thomson stem. The frame and fork came with a headset, seat clamp, and bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    I didn't know the frame comes with BB. You sure isn't not just EBB?
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Pedal Damn It!
    Well it's the Eccentric Bottom Bracket that Niner provides. If there is another piece then i am mistaken. This is the first bike I've ever built but I've been riding my entire life. I'm just trying to figure all of this out so I can get it together.

mtbr member
    This is EBB, or biocentric Niner BioCentric II, and the bottom bracket shells screw into the large hole. From your picture, I see EBB, but no bottom bracket.

At 0:39, it shows the frame with only EBB.

At 1:37, it shows bottom bracket behind the chain ring (from outside, black chain ring, silver bottom bracket, black EBB, and gold frame).
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Pedal Damn It!
    OK then it is just the EBB that came with the frame. I can rebuild a car engine but can't seem to figure out all the little pieces of a bike. I will figure it out one day.

Thank you for the help in understanding what I need.

mtbr member
    No problem. That's what the internet forum is for. lol. Most cranksets come with bottom bracket, so you would have figured it out once you got your crankset.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Pedal Damn It!
    So I could go with the Surly Single Speed Crank and just use the Bearings and Spindle that make up the bottom bracket?

This is what I'm also looking at:
    Surly MR Whirly Singlespeed Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Look at the E13 SS Crankset. Fair price, stiff and light. Aside from that you cannot go wrong with the XT

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Crank

Can't go wrong with any Shimano crank. Alternatively a SRAM crank with a MRP Bling Ring will look very cool on your One 9.
    Last edited by Rolling In Peace; 02-14-2013 at 05:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoShoes View Post
    So I could go with the Surly Single Speed Crank and just use the Bearings and Spindle that make up the bottom bracket?

This is what I'm also looking at:
    Surly MR Whirly Singlespeed Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    You could, but, personally, I would stick to cranksets with 4 bolts and 104 BCD as it's easier to find replacement chainrings for it.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here is what I went with:

- Niner RDO Fork
    - Stans Arch EX w/ Hope Pro2 EVO hubs
    - Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 tires
    - XT 785 Brakes
    - XT 780 Crankset
    - XT Pedals
    - Niner Chainring and Cog
    - Thomson Elite Seatpost
    - Selle Italia SL Flow Saddle
    - Thomson Stem
    - Easton EC70 XC Wide Bars
    - ODI Rogue Lock on Grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner One9 Build-imag1135.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrss13 View Post
    Here is what I went with:

- Niner RDO Fork
    - Stans Arch EX w/ Hope Pro2 EVO hubs
    - Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 tires
    - XT 785 Brakes
    - XT 780 Crankset
    - XT Pedals
    - Niner Chainring and Cog
    - Thomson Elite Seatpost
    - Selle Italia SL Flow Saddle
    - Thomson Stem
    - Easton EC70 XC Wide Bars
    - ODI Rogue Lock on Grips
    Great build - really nice!

TwoShoes, make sure you post photos of your completed bike.

mtbr member
    jrss13- I have to ask the inevitable "what's it weigh?" question...I absolutely loved the niner CF fork when I had it, but my frame (N9) just doesn't jive with it, so I'm thinking of doing a One9 or A9C...

Pedal Damn It!
    I will post pictures as I go in this thread. I will start ordering parts tomorrow so I need to decide.

For 4 bolt cranks, I really like the SRAM XX1 carbon crank so will a Niner chainring fit on the SRAM?

I'm very new to building bikes but once I know everything I will end up with multiple bikes as I just sold my car to build this one. I'm hoping mine will be less than 20 lbs when it's finished.

One of the reasons I'm going with standard geared wheels is because this frame has the option of setting it up for 1x9 so I would like the option to add gears in the future if for some reason I don't like SS.
    Last edited by TwoShoes; 02-14-2013 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    20.4 lbs with the big 2.4 ardents. I'm not as concerned about the weight, but its pretty damn light in my book. Especially when my previous rigid ss (monocog flight) is 25.4 lbs and my geared hardtail is 27 lbs

Pedal Damn It!
    Seeing your One 9 just makes me want to finish this bike even more. I bet at 20.4 lbs it is a dream to ride. I will be commuting to and from work 2.5 miles from my home every day on this bike. Last year I commuted on a Specialized Tricross Sport which was a lot of fun but I'm looking forward to being on big soft tires again. I had a Gary Fisher Mamba a few years ago that was a blast to ride.

I haven't decided on tires just yet and I'm planning to go tubeless. I also haven't decided on pedals or the chain. I prefer the feeling of Time Atac pedals but it's a matter of which one. I may need to be able to ride this bike without being clipped in so I may go with DH pedals to have the convenience of just jumping on it to ride a short ways down the street.
    Last edited by TwoShoes; 02-15-2013 at 12:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Sram XX1 crank is 76 bcd and only Sram XX1 chain ring will work with that crank.

You'll have to get another crank or don't get Niner chain ring.

Also, XX1 crank chainring isn't like other chain ring - it's designed specifically to work with Sram 11 speed chain. I've heard 10 speed chain will work and there is someone in the forum who has it on a SS, but it's usually better to use single speed specific chain ring and chain for single speed.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Pedal Damn It!
    OK so I just had something come up and I now have $300 less to put into the bike. I think I'm just going to go with a different crank, the Mechanical BB7 brakes and some cheaper parts so I can get this bike so I can ride it. I can always upgrade to better parts later.

Here is the updated parts list:

Shimano XT M785 Crank
    Avid 160mm BB7 Disc Brakes
    Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 15mm riser handlebars
    Race Face Evolve Stem
    Easton EA50 Seat Post
    Niner 32T Chainring
    Niner 18T Cog
    Last edited by TwoShoes; 02-15-2013 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you want to save some more cash, Jenson USA has SLX cranks on sale for $89. That'll save you $100 more. The weights of the two cranks will be approximately the same after you rip the rings off and put a singlespeed chainring on there. Just a thought. Also, Jenson USA has the niner carbon bars on sale for $99, that'll save you another $20 on your suggested parts list. $120 would go a long way elsewhere...

HTFU!
    Gotta agree with C-Dawg, SLX cranks and XT cranks are w/in several grams of one another...I would have gone w/SLX on my One9, but I needed silver cranks to go with my build theme. FWIW, I picked up some used Avid Elixir 5's on ebay for under $100, so keep your eyes open. You will still need rotors, but those can be found pretty cheap.
    There are lot's of quality used parts out there, so go find them. Also, Stans might still have some of their built wheels on clearance, worth checking out.
    Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoShoes View Post
    OK so I just had something come up and I now have $300 less to put into the bike. I think I'm just going to go with a different crank, the Mechanical BB7 brakes and some cheaper parts so I can get this bike so I can ride it. I can always upgrade to better parts later.

Here is the updated parts list:

Shimano XT M785 Crank
    Avid 160mm BB7 Disc Brakes
    Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 15mm riser handlebars
    Race Face Evolve Stem
    Easton EA50 Seat Post
    Niner 32T Chainring
    Niner 18T Cog
    BB7's come with rotors, but not cable and levers. I run mine with Speed Dial 7 and Jagwire Ripcord. When I bought them, they were only around $20 more than FR-5 and Shimano cable, and they pack a lot of stopping power.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member

Re: Niner One9 Build

+1 on the ripcord housing/speed dial 7 setup. Never used hydros but the difference was huge from stock setup. long, steep descents still turn my hands into deformed claws but I stop much better everywhere else. Suspect I can dial in the levers to help with that if it gets annoying enough.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast