Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niner One9 Build

14K views 74 replies 18 participants last post by  saywhat 
#1 · (Edited)
This is where I'm starting. In the next 2 weeks this bike will be built. I just need some help deciding on the parts to use.

This bike will be ridden on light trails and mostly urban trips around town. I do a little bit of everything and this is my dream bike.

Here are all of the updates I originally posted on page 2 and 3 so the entire build will be in one post at the beginning.

She weighs in at 19.20 lbs and is insane to ride. I just want to ride all day.

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Line Bicycle

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle fork Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle accessory

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

View attachment 778392

View attachment 778393

See less See more
#3 ·
Shimano Saint from Chain Reaction on sale Shimano Saint M820 Crankset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com, and get a SS ring for around $40-50. I got a Niner ring from Jenson for around $40. With CK bottom bracket, it was around $400.

Race Face Turbine SS from Price Point is around $240, includes chain ring and bb, but bb will be have to be replaced within a year.

Truvativ AKA SS comes and goes from all 4 websites that I usually shop at (Chain Reaction, Jenson, Cambria, Price Point), always less then $150.

Truvativ Stylo SS around $170.

As for brakes, both Jenson and Chain Reaction are selling Shimano XT for less than $150 (Chain Reaction's cheaper). Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com. With rotors and adaptors, it'll be less than $350.

Handlebar, Stem, Seatpost - I like matching my ****, and I prefer 7000 aluminums. I got Race Face Turbine (spent close to $200). Truvativ AKA and Stlyo are comparable (AKA would be the cheapest of the three).

Wheels - I got my Flows with CK hubs (with DT spokes and Sapim nipples) for $680 plus shipping from Larry at Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels. He got one of the best prices. Other builders quoted me around $680-$750 for same wheel with Hope hubs. CK SS hub comes with 18t cog and fun bolt, so that's two less things to get (good skewer and a decent cog will be $50-80).

Tires - I got Panaracer Rampage, because they were reasonably cheap and light, and good enough (I think around $90 for 2?)

Headset - generally anything in the $50+ will last you for years.

Saddle - again, generally anything in the $50+ will be reasonably comfortable and light.

The rest - grip, bar plug, headset spacer, seat post clamp, chain, wheel skewers will be less than $100

#4 ·
I'm looking at the Shimano Saint or the Race Face Turbine SS. I won't need the BB from the Race Face as my frame came with one designed to adjust the chain tension.

I'm interested in the new Crank Brothers wheels but I would have to use the Sirly spacers to run those wheels as a single speed.

I do think I will go with some simple Avid BB7 mechanical brakes as I know how to work on them already. I've had a few hard tail 29ers in the past that used BB5's.

I want the Easton Monkeylite handlebars and a Thomson stem. The frame and fork came with a headset, seat clamp, and bottom bracket.

#14 ·
Here is what I went with:

- Niner RDO Fork
- Stans Arch EX w/ Hope Pro2 EVO hubs
- Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 tires
- XT 785 Brakes
- XT 780 Crankset
- XT Pedals
- Niner Chainring and Cog
- Thomson Elite Seatpost
- Selle Italia SL Flow Saddle
- Thomson Stem
- Easton EC70 XC Wide Bars
- ODI Rogue Lock on Grips

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
I will post pictures as I go in this thread. I will start ordering parts tomorrow so I need to decide.

For 4 bolt cranks, I really like the SRAM XX1 carbon crank so will a Niner chainring fit on the SRAM?

I'm very new to building bikes but once I know everything I will end up with multiple bikes as I just sold my car to build this one. I'm hoping mine will be less than 20 lbs when it's finished.

One of the reasons I'm going with standard geared wheels is because this frame has the option of setting it up for 1x9 so I would like the option to add gears in the future if for some reason I don't like SS.

#19 · (Edited)
Seeing your One 9 just makes me want to finish this bike even more. I bet at 20.4 lbs it is a dream to ride. I will be commuting to and from work 2.5 miles from my home every day on this bike. Last year I commuted on a Specialized Tricross Sport which was a lot of fun but I'm looking forward to being on big soft tires again. I had a Gary Fisher Mamba a few years ago that was a blast to ride.

I haven't decided on tires just yet and I'm planning to go tubeless. I also haven't decided on pedals or the chain. I prefer the feeling of Time Atac pedals but it's a matter of which one. I may need to be able to ride this bike without being clipped in so I may go with DH pedals to have the convenience of just jumping on it to ride a short ways down the street.

#20 ·
Sram XX1 crank is 76 bcd and only Sram XX1 chain ring will work with that crank.

You'll have to get another crank or don't get Niner chain ring.

Also, XX1 crank chainring isn't like other chain ring - it's designed specifically to work with Sram 11 speed chain. I've heard 10 speed chain will work and there is someone in the forum who has it on a SS, but it's usually better to use single speed specific chain ring and chain for single speed.

#21 · (Edited)
OK so I just had something come up and I now have $300 less to put into the bike. I think I'm just going to go with a different crank, the Mechanical BB7 brakes and some cheaper parts so I can get this bike so I can ride it. I can always upgrade to better parts later.

Here is the updated parts list:

Shimano XT M785 Crank
Avid 160mm BB7 Disc Brakes
Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 15mm riser handlebars
Race Face Evolve Stem
Easton EA50 Seat Post
Niner 32T Chainring
Niner 18T Cog

#24 ·
OK so I just had something come up and I now have $300 less to put into the bike. I think I'm just going to go with a different crank, the Mechanical BB7 brakes and some cheaper parts so I can get this bike so I can ride it. I can always upgrade to better parts later.

Here is the updated parts list:

Shimano XT M785 Crank
Avid 160mm BB7 Disc Brakes
Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 15mm riser handlebars
Race Face Evolve Stem
Easton EA50 Seat Post
Niner 32T Chainring
Niner 18T Cog
BB7's come with rotors, but not cable and levers. I run mine with Speed Dial 7 and Jagwire Ripcord. When I bought them, they were only around $20 more than FR-5 and Shimano cable, and they pack a lot of stopping power.

#22 ·
If you want to save some more cash, Jenson USA has SLX cranks on sale for $89. That'll save you $100 more. The weights of the two cranks will be approximately the same after you rip the rings off and put a singlespeed chainring on there. Just a thought. Also, Jenson USA has the niner carbon bars on sale for $99, that'll save you another $20 on your suggested parts list. $120 would go a long way elsewhere...

#23 ·
Gotta agree with C-Dawg, SLX cranks and XT cranks are w/in several grams of one another...I would have gone w/SLX on my One9, but I needed silver cranks to go with my build theme. FWIW, I picked up some used Avid Elixir 5's on ebay for under $100, so keep your eyes open. You will still need rotors, but those can be found pretty cheap.
There are lot's of quality used parts out there, so go find them. Also, Stans might still have some of their built wheels on clearance, worth checking out.
Good Luck.

#25 ·
+1 on the ripcord housing/speed dial 7 setup. Never used hydros but the difference was huge from stock setup. long, steep descents still turn my hands into deformed claws but I stop much better everywhere else. Suspect I can dial in the levers to help with that if it gets annoying enough.

#42 ·
Nice One 9. I really like the new frame design. Not sure why they made a geared option for the new frames, but the frame overall looks great. Still pondering if I should trade in my 2010, but I have zero problems with her, so will probably keep her for a while. Wonder if there is any difference in stiffness between the old Scandium and new hydro-Al.

Compressionless housing was definitely an upgrade for my BB7's (XTR levers). Still not as powerful as my hydraulics, but close. When ordering the Jag Ripcord, just make sure the length of housing they send you will work. It was a little too short for me, so another length of housing was needed.

#26 ·
I was planning on running the dial 7 levers and I will get the jagwire ripcord cables to go with it all. I will check out the SLX cranks then since I want to use the Niner Chainring and Cog. The Crank Brothers Handlebars are only $44 on Pricepoint so I'm going with those. I will post a more accurate list of what I'm actually ordering here in a little bit.

#27 · (Edited)
I'm going to go with the SLX M660 Crank and a Hope Ceramic BB.

I'm second guessing the Crank Brothers wheelset but can't decide how low I can go on a wheelset without getting some junk hubs. I think I'm going to add up the rest of the parts and see how much I have available to spend on wheels. I guess I could spend more on nice wheels and just wait till the next pay check to buy things like the chain, grips, seat, and tires. Wheels seem like a good thing to spend extra on in the beginning.

#28 ·
I just placed my order from multiple places that had the best deals. Here is the list of parts that will be shipping out soon.

Niner 32T Chainring
Niner 18T Cog
Stan's Notubes Arch EX wheelset
Sirly Singlespeed spacer kit
Avid BB7 160mm Brakes with Avid Speed dial 7 Levers
Shimano SLX M660 Crank
Hope Ceramic Bottom Bracket
WTB Nano Raptor 2.1 Tubeless Tires
Stan's Notubes Sealant and applicator syringe.
Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 15mm riser handelbars
Race Face Evolve Stem

I still need to decide on which Time pedals I'm going to go with. I'm also going to wait till I get paid again next week to order the Seatpost, seat, grips, chain, and brake cables. Is there anything else I may have left off the list that I will need?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.