mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Is Niner EBB (BioCentric II) Niner-specific?

I am building my first SS based on a Chinese carbon with BB30. I've been pouring over the available EBB options and it seems that Niner BioCentric II is the best design. Their site says it's "designed to work with Niner frames." Is there something specific to Niner frames that would make using their EBB impossible on another frame?

mtbr member
    The size. I don't believe it will work on a BB30 bottom bracket. Only one off the top of my head that works with BB30 would be the Beer Components eccentric. Might be others, but, i'm not sure.

banned
    FYI - that is the last design I would want. Read the multiple threads (Niner forum) on how many problems people have with them.

Had one myself 2 years ago and would never want one myself again, With all of the constant creaking and then getting stuck. No thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Biocentrics need 55mm ID so BB30 will not work.

For what it's worth, I've not had any issues with my Biocentric I EBB on my One 9, personally. Maybe just good luck, since others seem to be having issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have had three Niners with the EBB and a fourth one is on its way, never had one problem with it. But to answer you question, no it won't work.

banned

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I manage a bike shop and have build more than a few of these Niners with the EBB (including several of my own), and I believe proper prep, and installation goes a long ways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My Biocentric EBB creaked after installation due to the use of carbon paste assembly grease. A thorough cleaning and re-assembly using Park general purpose grease resolved the problem.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trevrev97 View Post
    I manage a bike shop and have build more than a few of these Niners with the EBB (including several of my own), and I believe proper prep, and installation goes a long ways.
    I agree, but why choose to go through all that hassle if not riding a Niner?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    True dat! I agree. I just get defensive when people slam the EBB design when I rather like the design and have yet to see why people hate it so bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    People hate the EBB because people are too stupid to do it right.

Work in a bike shop sometime and you'll see the outrageous things people do to "fix" their bikes.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Because it is one of the cheapest, lightest EBB solutions on the market. Unfortunately the BB ID is very specific to fit the Biocentric.

I believe Beer Components and Problem Solver have the only solution for BB30 to EBB on the market. Phil Wood may have something in the works, but I am not sure.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The main reason I don't like the EBB is that everytime you change gearing it jacks with the crank position - which means it jacks with the seat position. I've often wondered why Niner has not moved so a properly designed slider system.

I do agree 100% that if the EBB is properly installed it's reletively problem free.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    Work in a bike shop sometime and you'll see the outrageous things people do to "fix" their bikes.
    Have any good examples? Hopefully none of them are something I've done. Spoke with someone at an LBS about sliding dropouts vs. the Niner EBB, and he was pretty adamant that with proper prep, installation and maintenance the EBB was the better system.

mtbr member
    If I were set on an EBB that wasn't of a split shell design I'd probably look towards Jeff Jones use of one rather than the Niner EBB. I rode the first gen biocentric EBB and while it had periods of blissful silence it did take some effort to keep it that way.
    Following all of the Jones' threads here on MTBR I have yet to hear of anyone complaining about, let alone mentioning, a creaky BB. One of Jones' recent blog posts featured his use/design of the EBB/BB shell.
    Cheers,
    M

Trail Junkie

Funny, I use to work in a bike shop (money wasn't enough) and now I see many mechanics that are incapable of improvisation or "making things work in a less conventional way" There isn't a whole lot of thinking out of the box going on anymore, and duct tape has became less and less useful (Figuratively speaking).

An example.
    A gentleman brings in a pair of $350 Specialized S-works shoes that he bought there, and the cleat is rusted solid into the shoe. Both the floor salesman and the mechanic protested that they should have been greases before installed and there is nothing they can do...they have to be replaced. I quietly told the guy what to buy at the shop (cleats and baseplate) and told him how to fix it with a vice and drill/bit.

I've even been present when another shop mech said that it wasn't possible to install a Niner Biocentric on anything but a Niner when the website states otherwise. There is just specific dimensions that have to be met when machining it out.

Not everyone always has the money to just go out and "replace with new" to make it work, there is always an improvisation that can be done..some work great, some not so much. Its always better to do it right, but sometimes its not possible...and then there is ofcourse those that bring their bike in that are just hopeless and don't understand the complexity of the fix or how screwed up it is. That happens too...
    Last edited by dubdryver; 12-08-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tuvok View Post
    Have any good examples? Hopefully none of them are something I've done. Spoke with someone at an LBS about sliding dropouts vs. the Niner EBB, and he was pretty adamant that with proper prep, installation and maintenance the EBB was the better system.
    I'm 99% sure this wasn't to "fix" a bike, but I saw a hub PACKED with dirt... Completely devoid of any grease and filled to the bearing cones with dirt. No one knew how so much dirt could get in a hub without some one pulling out the axle and stuffing dirt in. And before you give me the "mountain bikes are dirty/see a lot of abuse" stuff, it was on a road wheel!

Triathletes...

On things done improperly: I saw someone who was riding an over-tensioned front wheel because the person who built it (hopefully not a bike shop) used too short of spokes on one side. This led to cracking in the rim at the eyelets and eventual failure of the wheel. Easy mistake to make if you don't know how to build wheels, but stupid nonetheless.

Go talk to the mech's at your LBS and I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you horror story after horror story.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sometimes I do outrageous things to fix my bike though. The oddest thing that has prevented my EBB from making a sound is silver conducting paste that is designed for computer use. Plus, how many people can say they have silver on their bikes?

Fwiw, I ride a Niner One 9 2010 (I think) with the one bolt biocentric. It's the scandium, easton tubing one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sometimes I do outrageous things to fix my bike though. The oddest thing that has prevented my EBB from making a sound is silver conducting paste that is designed for computer use.
    From casual reading about Niner EBBs it seems that particular part is the inspiration to no end of experimental tweaks and tricks. Biggest problem with this type of situation (besides coming up with a "solution" that might damage the bike) is that unless you have lots of DIY stuff kicking around it can get a bit spendy as you have to buy stuff to try new things.