View Poll Results: The chaintension method of your choice? (On the next build)

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprung tensioner

0 0%
  • Non-sprung tensioner

3 10.71%
  • Eccentric bottom bracket

4 14.29%
  • Horizontal dropout

4 14.29%
  • Sliding dropout

17 60.71%
  • Magic gear

0 0%
    Developing Skillz

Next time when your building a new SS, witch one you would choose? And why?

As some of you might noticed this poll was copied and changed a little from another forum a year ago. I thought this was very interesting, but as everybody makes mistakes I reformed it to what would you do.
    "The most interesting things in life are always beyond the reach of leash."

mtbr member
    I just ordered a new frame with sliding/horizontal dropouts. Seems like the easiest way to set things up. I don't have experience with the others so I could be wrong.

Developing Skillz
    ^Do you use discbrakes? How's that working for you?

I ordered non-sprung to replace my sprung tensioner. Hope it works better. Sprung is better though with dingle-speed. I'm going to drop the other gear..

As for completely new frame I'm not sure but I'd probaly go for EBB.

Gotta pay to play
    I've had track ends before and I currently have an EBB. I like the EBB but every time I hear a creak down by the BB it just adds one more to the list of things to check on the bike.

Even given that I'd do an EBB again. My next bike will probably be track ends though 'cause it will be a Trials or BMX bike.

I ride with tools
    poll failure: No option for the swinging dropout as used by Black Cat frames. By far the best dropout out there IMO. Clean looking and no issues.

As an aside, you couldn't GIVE me a frame with an eccentric bottom bracket. They always develop a creak, and if you try to tighten them enough to stop the creaking, it ovalizes the BB shell and you have lost your adustability.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would go for a magnetically charged frame and an oppositely charged axle shaft. Never any contact, no grease/lube needed and never need to rebuild. Depending on how strong the charge/magnet is, you could even leave enough space between the magnet and axle shaft that even mud would have room to pile up and not cause drag!

Ditto for the BB area, fork shaft and seat post. Imagine the weight savings. With a little change in the charge along the length of the seat post, you could add an easily adjustable dropper-style seat post that is super strong and stable and easy to adjust up and down. Maybe some custom handlebars that you can easily make wide/narrow as well would be good... narrow them up for the tight and twisty and push them out to 30+ inches when it gets fast and flowy.

Bro Mountainbiker
    It depends. For pure singlespeeds, there is no better option than track ends. They work, they are cheap, allow adjustable geometry, and are easy to use with proper touch.
    Downsides are brake adjustments, lack of derailleurs(downside?), and need for a bolt on hub.

For a SS that may see gears in the future, the best option is sliders. They are also easy to use, allow adjustable geometry, capability for gears, can be thru axle compatible, and allow "set and forget" usage of brakes.
    The downsides to sliders are slight increased cost, possible axle slippage, more things to creak or squeak.

I will never own a bike with an EBB. Having to adjust your bike fit every time you adjust your chain would be a major PITA. But on a SS off road, this is less of an issue. They also are notorious for creaking and slipping(well, depends on type...)

Magic gear, well there is no such thing as magic. Work okay till your chain wears. Constantly too tight or too loose.

And tensioners, obvious disadvantages. One perk is that with a spring tensioner, you never need to adjust the chain as it wears. Another perk(to some, disadvantage to others) is that your geometry is always fixed. With sliders or EBB, you have to adjust your geometry as chain wears. Not with a tensioner.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    swinging vertical drop-outs. the end all. no brake adjustment, no stupid ebb, simple tensioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ardmoregeorge View Post
    swinging vertical drop-outs. the end all. no brake adjustment, no stupid ebb, simple tensioning.
    This is what I would personally like to try, or Paragon sliding dropouts. The sliding dropouts appear to have the benefit of not having to adjust the disc caliper, which I have to do for horizontal dropouts if I change wheel position on the current ride. Perhaps my wheelbase is also slightly elongated, but I am running 650b so I kinda expected that anyway. I have not tried an eccentric bb, but I would imagine a headache. I would only use a tensioner if the bike is a convert to SS, as would most likely be necessary. The magic gear relates to chain tension and not to the rider's preference, so it's less magical for me. So, either sliding or vertical swinging dropouts. This will only happen if I destroy the MUSS though.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have two bikes with EBB's and love them. I personally have had no issues. Just keep up on maintenance and torque everything to spec. So the next go around, I will get an EBB. Very close second would be track ends (although I have this on my road bike). I never liked sliders, mainly because of the pain to set up.

Bolt-on tensioners are just bandaid fixes. Get a proper SS frame.

mtbr member
    Split shell EBB for me. Never had an issue.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    I've had track ends before and I currently have an EBB. I like the EBB but every time I hear a creak down by the BB it just adds one more to the list of things to check on the bike.

Even given that I'd do an EBB again. My next bike will probably be track ends though 'cause it will be a Trials or BMX bike.
    I've had Haro Mary with EBB, Specialized with sliding drop outs, and Nashbar SS 29er with track ends, neither has given me any trouble but I prefer track ends. Sliding drop outs usually prevent having nicely contoured CS and therefore I get heel rub on the CS. Sliding drop outs are pita to do initial adjustment and bolt torque. EBB is easy to adjust but creates divots in the BB shell that makes it hard to do small re-adjustments as chain loosens and if you over tighten, the setscrews it will ovalize the frame at BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    poll failure: No option for the swinging dropout as used by Black Cat frames. By far the best dropout out there IMO. Clean looking and no issues.

As an aside, you couldn't GIVE me a frame with an eccentric bottom bracket. They always develop a creak, and if you try to tighten them enough to stop the creaking, it ovalizes the BB shell and you have lost your adustability.
    Good points, except my EBB never creaked, kept it very well greased to keep out dirt and this along with propper setscrew torque keeps it from creaking.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Developing Skillz
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    I'd put "swinging dropouts" to the sliding category.

Developing Skillz

Good job! It was magic..

Well as I mentioned earlier.. I ordered the non-sprung tensioner. Yesterday tough I thought of trying single-speed on my dingle- one by "crossing" actually I changed places of the cogs. Ratios where 34x18 and 32x20, and now it's 34x20. It was total coincidence that without touching chain length I created Magic-gear situation.

So I took the old tensioner right off. I'm still going to put the tensioner on when chain wears. Also lucky was that I've ridden with this chain for a while so probably the most stretching has already happened.

I'm so happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Re: Next time when your building a new SS, witch one you would choose? And why?

Paragon sliders, no doubt. Both my SS' s have them and if you're not changing ratios all the time, they are fit and forget. Saying that, I would love to try the swinging dropout.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2