mtbr member

Newbie SSer needs drivetrain help......

I finally took out the SS I recently built up for its maiden voyage. I'm running a 32x18 drivetrain and a Surly Singulator. About 5 minutes into my ride, I snapped the chain. What's the trick with setting up a drivetrain with a singulator.....how tight do I need the chain to be. I thought I had it nice and tight but it snapped on only a moderate incline. I've attached a pic of the bike that shows where the singulator was set up.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by []D[][]v[][]D
    ...I snapped the chain. What's the trick...
    You've got it about right. Your chain must have had a weak link. Judging from the way your Singlator is set up, I don't think it had anything do to with your chain snapping.

I've got a Singlator on one of my SS's -- it's just like yours yet no problemo on this end.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

I don't think it snapped re: tightness

I have limited experience with single-pulley singulators, but from what I've experience, there's usually only one chain length that works well, esp. in Push-Up mode, the better way to set them up, because pushing up increases chain wrap on the cog, thus reducing the chance of skipping.
    Two links (1") too short and the chain's too short to connect it, period. Two links too long and the singulator runs into the chainstays before it tensions the chain. Least that's my experience.
    More likely your chain snapped because (in order of likelihood): Your installation was faulty and the pin where you broke it wasn't centered when you pushed it back in place, or your chainline isn't perfect so the chain got tweaked laterally, or the chain had a bogus link when you unwrapped it which definitely happens, or it's just bad luck/karma as chains sometimes just break even new ones it happens infrequently but it happens.

Contrarian
    Any tension provided by the Singulator will be tiny compared with the tension you put in when you're heaving on the cranks. It's likely it was a faulty chain. Did you lose the chain at all before it snapped?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    I have limited experience with single-pulley singulators, but from what I've experience, there's usually only one chain length that works well, esp. in Push-Up mode, the better way to set them up, because pushing up increases chain wrap on the cog, thus reducing the chance of skipping.
    Two links (1") too short and the chain's too short to connect it, period. Two links too long and the singulator runs into the chainstays before it tensions the chain. Least that's my experience.
    More likely your chain snapped because (in order of likelihood): Your installation was faulty and the pin where you broke it wasn't centered when you pushed it back in place, or your chainline isn't perfect so the chain got tweaked laterally, or the chain had a bogus link when you unwrapped it which definitely happens, or it's just bad luck/karma as chains sometimes just break even new ones it happens infrequently but it happens.
    I tend to agree with your opinion of running the tensioner in push up mode. I used a Spicer half link in order to use the push up mode. No problems since. His setup just doesn't look like it would work without problems in the push down mode. Not enough chain wrap. 2cents.

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    I tend to agree with your opinion of running the tensioner in push up mode. I used a Spicer half link in order to use the push up mode. No problems since. His setup just doesn't look like it would work without problems in the push down mode. Not enough chain wrap. 2cents.
    I agree. From the looks of the picture, it appears you could take out one more link to get it tighter...if not, go with a half link. I had problems with cog slippage when I had my Singleator in a position similar to yours. I've since changed to a large chainring and now I can run the Singleator in push-up mode, check out my post on this board for pictures.