Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    451

    Newbie needs help with SS setup

    G'day guys and gals,
    I've been tempted by the SS movement and have started kitting up parts along with old bits off my previous bike to build up a good, lightweight, strong and competitive SS bike.
    Basically I need a hand in all the parts associated with SS'ing, as i have tried researching on the net but am still lacking adequate technical knowledge.

    First of all, im gonna need a frame.
    I've been looking at On-One's Ti Inbred, Salsa's Juan Solo and the Spot Brand Deluxe.
    Are there any other notables i should be considering? I'd be spending about $600-$800 US. Is an EBB the best system? Can you simply run a non-SS frame with a chain tensioner?

    Right, now, Crankset.
    I understand Truvativ make a "singlespeed" stylo crankset, but what exactly makes it SS?
    I wanted to get an XT or a RF Deus XC crankset, is it possible to just use a 'normal' crankset? And if set up with an EBB, will the new outboard style bearings Bottom Brackets interfere with it?

    Lastly, Rear hub.
    DT Swiss 240 SS, Chris King SS, DMR Revolver SS or On-One Inbred SS hubs. Whats the difference? With a SS specific rear hub, you just screw on the cog and put on a lock ring and thats it? If it helps, i'll be using disc brakes.

    Thank you so much for any help on offer, im new to this and i just need a bit of advice to steer me in the right direction.
    Wil

  2. #2
    brother on a mission
    Reputation: Greenfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    553
    Before someone else points it out, there is a FAQ section to the upper right of this page that has a ton of information.

    To answer your questions, you can use anything that you listed to build a single speed.

    The opinions on which system is best are as different as the systems. Yes you can run a non-SS frame with a tensioner, but most agree it is less than ideal, and nobody likes the looks.


    If you want to spend 600-800 US there are a couple of custom US builders that do steel frames in that range (my dream frame: a walt works). Check out Wily cycles, curtlo cycles, waltworks, the list goes on, and more information is available on the FAQ section. I'm sure there are some custom builders in Aus (thylacine springs to mind). If you end up going with a custom frame (DO IT), I am sure the builders will have much more knowledge and informed opinions than I can give you. The waltworks web page is a fun read no matter what you end up doing.

    The single speed crankset has 1 chainring. Yes you can use any crank to make a SS. One guy I ride with uses a downhill crank, and there are a bunch of people on this board that use BMX cranks. I am not sure about outboard bearings and EBB interference, but my guess is they will work together just fine.

    There are a couple of differences in the hubs you list. Some are freewheel hubs and the On-one hub is a cassette hub. The general consensus is if you go with a frewheel hub get a white industries frewheel to mount on it.

    It sounds like you will end up with a great bike. You budget for hubs alone is greater than my entire bike budget for the year. You will definitely have a nice bike that works well.

    Have fun with your build.

    Cheers,

    GF

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cephalopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    301
    It sounds like you're looking to invest quite a bit of $$ but have you tried it yet? Single speeding isn't for everyone, so you might want to give it a try before you jump all the way in. Do you have a bike that you can convert? If so its really cheap and easy to convert an existing bike just to give it a try. If you don't have one you may also want to try buying a really cheap bike to convert. My first single speed bike was a steel GT I got off craig's list for $100. I then converted it and run it for about a year while I decided what I really wanted out of a long-term single speed. Just something to think about.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    451
    Thanks heaps for the help guys, yeah i found the whole singlespeed guide thingo and it has helped.
    I think i'll take your advice and go for a straigt SS frame, since there is less complexity (without tensioner).
    I've been eyeing off the Explosif frame from Kona since it has those moveable dropouts that the disc mount is integrated into, and apart from all the specialty custom guys in the US and the UK, im not really sure.
    I want to check out the Spot Brand bikes, but their website isnt up and running as yet, does anyone know of their more recent bikes (the deluxe frame?) and how much they are?
    As for hubs, the cassette style hubs would be the go if running disc brakes yeah?
    Although it sounds cliche, i had a ride on a mates SS once, and since (couple of months) ive embarked on not using my shifters on my geared GT. Of course its not the same, but its certainly a lot easier than i thought it would be, so basically i think im ready for a SS bike.
    Anyway, thanks for the help,
    wil

  5. #5
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Build around an Unit or Explosif.



    You'll really like the way it feels and if you get the Explosif and don't like singlespeeds can be used with gears because it has the hanger integrated into the dropout.

    Here's how mine looks like. Sorry for the crapy pics, it's raining and don't have a lot of room on the garage.



    Rear wheel, I use a regular cassette style hub with a SS cog and PVC spacers.



    Crankset, a Deore Mega 9 set with the rings removed and a Salsa 32t ring.



    Hope the pics help.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WadePatton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    512

    Note about hubs

    Probably covered in the FAQ-section, but here goes.

    If you are going to race or ride on courses that require changes in gears, then the cassette type hub will give you more gearing options. The thread-on, Shimano-BMX type freewheels only go down to 15 or 16 while the slip-on cog type go down to 11 or 12.

    Of course you can buy several chainrings cheaper than one "fancy" hub.

    Be ready to shorten or lengthen your chain for gearing changes. Easiest to have a couple of chains pre-fitted in the tool box.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

  7. #7
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtZilla
    Be ready to shorten or lengthen your chain for gearing changes. Easiest to have a couple of chains pre-fitted in the tool box.
    That's the reason why I went with the sliding dropouts, another reason was cost. A Unit frame can be had for around $400 or even less. Saw a 20" on eBay for about $120 a couple of hours ago.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    451
    With the Unit/Explosif dropout system, is it difficult to align the rear wheel?

    And also, can anyone tell me anything about spot bikes?

    Thanks,
    wil

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WadePatton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy

    And also, can anyone tell me anything about spot bikes?

    Thanks,
    wil
    I haven't put much time on a Spot, but the LBS owner has a Spot (he races it some), his head mechanic has a Spot Ti and they have a Spot CX on the wall. These two guys go through bikes like I go through socks---but they've held onto the Spots. That artta tell you something.

    I have two Spot wool jerseys.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

  10. #10
    "I want it now!"
    Reputation: Veruca Salt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    G'day guys and gals,
    I've been tempted by the SS movement and have started kitting up parts along with old bits off my previous bike to build up a good, lightweight, strong and competitive SS bike.
    Basically I need a hand in all the parts associated with SS'ing, as i have tried researching on the net but am still lacking adequate technical knowledge.

    First of all, im gonna need a frame.
    I've been looking at On-One's Ti Inbred, Salsa's Juan Solo and the Spot Brand Deluxe.
    Are there any other notables i should be considering? I'd be spending about $600-$800 US. Is an EBB the best system? Can you simply run a non-SS frame with a chain tensioner?

    Right, now, Crankset.
    I understand Truvativ make a "singlespeed" stylo crankset, but what exactly makes it SS?
    I wanted to get an XT or a RF Deus XC crankset, is it possible to just use a 'normal' crankset? And if set up with an EBB, will the new outboard style bearings Bottom Brackets interfere with it?

    Lastly, Rear hub.
    DT Swiss 240 SS, Chris King SS, DMR Revolver SS or On-One Inbred SS hubs. Whats the difference? With a SS specific rear hub, you just screw on the cog and put on a lock ring and thats it? If it helps, i'll be using disc brakes.

    Thank you so much for any help on offer, im new to this and i just need a bit of advice to steer me in the right direction.
    Wil
    I just bought a new singlespeed (titus riddler) and was talked into buying the crankset from the guy. It is a trutativ crankset that is a longer than my original crankset. Apparently, with its length, it is easier to manage steeper hills because you have much better leverage. I have yet to give it a try (due to weather) so I'm not sure yet if it was worth the investment. Good luck.

  11. #11
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    With the Unit/Explosif dropout system, is it difficult to align the rear wheel?
    It's not difficult at all, just pull the wheel back and tighten the bolts, that's it. You may want to use a piece of wood or something like that for leverage when doing it alone.

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie needs help with SS setup
    By Little Willy in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 07:02 PM
  2. Question from a SS Newbie
    By 514Climber in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 12:41 PM
  3. Help Newbie Build His SS
    By waltaz in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 01:30 PM
  4. SS Newbie Needs Help with What Bike to Choose?
    By SupaSlow in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 05:46 AM
  5. Thoughts of a SS newbie
    By bob in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 08:51 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •