mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Newbie needs help with SS setup

G'day guys and gals,
    I've been tempted by the SS movement and have started kitting up parts along with old bits off my previous bike to build up a good, lightweight, strong and competitive SS bike.
    Basically I need a hand in all the parts associated with SS'ing, as i have tried researching on the net but am still lacking adequate technical knowledge.

First of all, im gonna need a frame.
    I've been looking at On-One's Ti Inbred, Salsa's Juan Solo and the Spot Brand Deluxe.
    Are there any other notables i should be considering? I'd be spending about $600-$800 US. Is an EBB the best system? Can you simply run a non-SS frame with a chain tensioner?

Right, now, Crankset.
    I understand Truvativ make a "singlespeed" stylo crankset, but what exactly makes it SS?
    I wanted to get an XT or a RF Deus XC crankset, is it possible to just use a 'normal' crankset? And if set up with an EBB, will the new outboard style bearings Bottom Brackets interfere with it?

Lastly, Rear hub.
    DT Swiss 240 SS, Chris King SS, DMR Revolver SS or On-One Inbred SS hubs. Whats the difference? With a SS specific rear hub, you just screw on the cog and put on a lock ring and thats it? If it helps, i'll be using disc brakes.

Thank you so much for any help on offer, im new to this and i just need a bit of advice to steer me in the right direction.
    Wil

Medium?

Read this

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks heaps for the link, it gave me most of the answers i need.
    I have an idea of what setup i will use, any advice would be appreciated.
    -Regular MTB frame with vertical dropouts, with singlespeed cassette disc hub and a chain tensioner (like the surly tension thingo).
    This setup would allow me to convert the frame to gears in the future if i really want to, and also gives me a bigger choice of frames to choose from.
    -Single speed frame with EBB and singlespeed cassette disc hub, which i think would be simpler than the first setup since it doesnt have the chain tensioner.

Any ideas as to which setup to go from? I thought the converted regular MTB frame would have a slight advantage because i could choose from a wider variety of bikes?

Cheers,
    Wil

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Convert a used bike or one you already have to see if you like SSing. If you do, get a spiff, bling-bling SS if you want.
    If you do not like it. No big loss.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common