mtbr member

Newbie Needs Cog Advice

I've been riding my new Redline Monocog 29er for about a month now and have decided the stock 32-20 gearing, while good for trail riding, is just too tiresome for commuting. Accordingly, I'm thinking of switching down to a rear 16 (or maybe 18?). I'm new to SS mtbiking, and have only done limited mtbiking in the past. The trails I ride have a few dips and slopes--small hills but definitely no mountains.

Any advice on choosing the appropriate sized cog? I suppose this is just something that I need to figure out myself through experience using a variety of settings.

Secondly, how difficult is it to change the cog? Is it necessary that I purchase a chain whip and cog removal tool? Will I need to shorten my chain length? Do most folks switch up their cogs depending on the type of riding they will be doing? This is all new to me and I want to make sure I do it right before I dive in.

--thanks

aka baycat
    Buy a few fairly inexpensive Surly cogs until you find the right combination.

Ovaries on the Outside
    If you are switching out cogs often (and it doesn't take long) you'll want the tools. I use an eight speed cassette body with spacers, so I don't know which tools you'll need. Use Sheldon Brown for a better feel for a gear inch range (I'm pulling for the 18 tooth). You might need a chain tool, depending on how much movement the change in cog size moves the wheel, as well as readjusting the brakes. Once you find the combo that works best on the trails, I just buy a beater to commute with- it is annoying to change from cog to cog and all the adjustments that go with it, and pavement ruins trail tires too fast in any case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Actually, I would buy some of the really inexpensive Redline cogs, 5 bucks a pop. 32:16 is a good gear. But, as your said, it's all about trying it out. And, ya, you'll need the tools. Good luck.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Right-o. Dimension has some cheap cogs too. Don't know how well they hold up, but mine has four months of decent riding?

mtbr member
    Where can I find Redline cogs for 5 bucks--lbs?

mtbr member
    any kind of stamped steel cog will be in the $5-$10 range.

$7 at pricepoint

$4 from misfit psycles

the lbs may also have them. you will need a chainwhip and an lockring removal tool. adjustable plyers will also work if the lockring removal. to remove the wheel you will need a 15mm wrench or socket and hex wrench (don't know the size off the top of my head). most multi tools will have a hex key that will also work.

mtbr member
    Thanks--with those prices I can buy a couple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot
    Thanks--with those prices I can buy a couple.
    that's the idea. once you find a good ratio, but a nicer cog misfit cod cog, endless, rennen, surly etc.

mtbr member

Correct cassette tool?

In addition to the chain whip, I'm hoping someone who has experience with the Monocog style of hub can point to the appropriate cassette lock ring tool. The rear wheel is not quick release. I'm thinking that this is what I need, but could be wrong. Again, sorry for the perhaps overly obvious question. Thanks.
    Last edited by foxtrot; 08-28-2008 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member

wrong tool

the tool in your link will not work. its too big. this tool should work. i know for some people is does, but in my case it doesn't work very well. i also ride a monocog, so i am very familiar with what you are working with. i have found that something like this with a shop rag over the lockring so you don't damamge it works really well. i am sure others may also have some ideas different than mine.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    the tool in your link will not work. its too big. this tool should work. i know for some people is does, but in my case it doesn't work very well. i also ride a monocog, so i am very familiar with what you are working with. i have found that something like this with a shop rag over the lockring so you don't damamge it works really well. i am sure others may also have some ideas different than mine.
    yep...this is what i used to change my cog to a 13t.

mtbr member
    Thanks--I can see how a little slippage might occur with the tool--however, the utility wrench I imagine would work well enough. I'm happy I never went ahead and bought the Chain/Lockring tool that I had previously suggested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    get the right tool, it is worth it and you wont mess up your lock ring. right tool = job well done.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you are commuting on the roads I'd go way lower than that. 42-16 would be a good starting point even then its a bit light

Members who have read this thread: 0