mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New surly will not stop creaking

I just got this sweet 1 x1 earlier this week and during tonights right there was an annoying creaking coming from what i could guess at being the headset. I have a chris king on there and I retightened everything and the problem persists. What can I do to fix this please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not because I'm fast.....

Some ideas

First off I'd start by cleaning your room to eliminate the potential for a sock or dirty boxer shorts getting wrapped up in the chain Seriously though, maybe check both stem clamps and the front hub. Noises are often difficult to diagnose as the sound can sometimes travel and be misleading as to its source.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    First off I'd start by cleaning your room to eliminate the potential for a sock or dirty boxer shorts getting wrapped up in the chain Seriously though, maybe check both stem clamps and the front hub. Noises are often difficult to diagnose as the sound can sometimes travel and be misleading as to its source.
    I agree... it could be many things. I had a similar problem that turned out being the seatpost. Check that there's no grit in there and give it a good layer of grease. I read a post last week where someone said they had a problem that turned out to be a couple grains of sand between the headset cups and the head tube, so if you're comofortable with it, you might want to check that out too.

"Mr. Britannica"
    crank/BB/pedal/SP are common sources, but I just cured a bud's creak, that he thought came from the front end. Only happened while standing and cranking... tried the usual HS and stem adjustments to no avail. So, the culprit? spoke nipples. Yeah, spoke nipples. A bit of triflow cured it.

mtbr member

Is the head-tube faced?

Did you (or whoever installed it) face the head tube before installing the new headset? If the mating surface between the cups and the head tube is uneven, or there is paint there, that could cause creaking.

Tubes should always be faced before installing BBs and headsets (Some frames come that way, Surlys do not.). Unfortunately the tools to do so are beyond the budget of most home mechanics so it doesn't always get done...

My Surly creaks like a mofo. Everytime I think I've got it solved it comes back with a vengeance. Only in my case it's the bottom bracket. Talked to one of the Shimano mechanics at Sea Otter and he said my crank bolts were the old style which are aluminum. Apparently they went back to the stainless steel crank bolts 'cause the threads on the Al ones are too soft and tend to loosen up. Hopefully the new crank bolts I have on order will solve the problem...until then I just hafta re-torque my crank bolts after every ride and even then they often start creaking before the end of a long ride.

-Trevor

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I had a creak that I just tracked down that sounds a lot like yours. Mine turned out to be dry stem bolts. A dab of greese on the bolts tighten them back up and the noise was gone. Good luck though it could be anything.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Does that stem have only a two bolt bar clamp? IMHO, two bolt stems are not adequate for SSing. Even three bolt stems creak on me.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    Does that stem have only a two bolt bar clamp? IMHO, two bolt stems are not adequate for SSing. Even three bolt stems creak on me.
    Yeah, it is only two bolts. It was what came with the bike. Whats a good not that expensive stem to replace it with? I am going to the lbs this afternoon to buy some more parts for her and some grease. I will let ya guys know how it turns out.

mtbr member

clean it up

mine was doing that at one time too, so i took the stem off and lubed up the steer tube and the spacers then the stem and put it all back together, and it never did it again, that may be all you need to do....

scott