Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Dain Bramaged
    Reputation: Dijridoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    300

    New Surly build - yay!

    Finally got it built. Frame came UPS yesterday, stripped the parts off the gearie at lunch, talked my buddy into swapping the headset and facing the headtube/BB/disc tabs after work, had it built in 2 hours after that.

    Yeah the colors are eclectic, but that will get better after I put on some big black tires and black grips.

    So far I love it. Gearing is low for in town (34/18) and I think I need a longer stem. The 100mm fork needs to become 80mm but overall it's purdy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    zeebot
    Reputation: Spookykinkajou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijridoo
    Finally got it built. Frame came UPS yesterday, stripped the parts off the gearie at lunch, talked my buddy into swapping the headset and facing the headtube/BB/disc tabs after work, had it built in 2 hours after that.

    Yeah the colors are eclectic, but that will get better after I put on some big black tires and black grips.

    So far I love it. Gearing is low for in town (34/18) and I think I need a longer stem. The 100mm fork needs to become 80mm but overall it's purdy.
    very nice. i use 34/18 on my surly for xc racing and riding and it seems to work fine. got a 20 and 21 coming in for pisgah but for the northeast so far 18 has been perfect on the hills.

  3. #3
    Account Retired
    Reputation: LakeRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    608

    Congrats!

    Looks real nice Randy.

  4. #4
    Siddartha Gautama
    Reputation: Ski-U-Mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    507

    Nice.

    And the gold King headset is a nice touch with the white frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Reputation: eSSq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    522

    hotneSS

    when my bianchi dies i'm thinking a white surly would be an ideal replacement. that thing looks great as-is.
    [size=1][/size]

  6. #6
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,035
    Nice bicileta. Check yer pm, eh?
    Just a regular guy.

  7. #7
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijridoo
    Yeah the colors are eclectic, .
    I dont think so. I dont think you should change anything on that bike due to the color. or any other bike for that matter, but particularly yours.
    Only boring people get bored.

  8. #8
    Dain Bramaged
    Reputation: Dijridoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    300

    OK - a clarification here

    I am not buying anything new to change the color. It's just that when I planned this I had a white/black scheme in my head. So in order to achieve this as closely as possible, I am (swapping) the grips, tires, and saddle from my Slayer. This will leave me with a pimping gold headset on a mostly black & white bike. Nuff said.

    NOW...being in the graphics business I can't help being a slave to design, and part of design involves color schemes. And if I am buying new parts anyway I always try to keep things within a scheme. But, as with the gold headset, which came off of this bike, I couldn't quite bear to pay $100 for a new headset just to change the color.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijridoo
    I am not buying anything new to change the color. It's just that when I planned this I had a white/black scheme in my head. So in order to achieve this as closely as possible, I am (swapping) the grips, tires, and saddle from my Slayer. This will leave me with a pimping gold headset on a mostly black & white bike. Nuff said.

    NOW...being in the graphics business I can't help being a slave to design, and part of design involves color schemes. And if I am buying new parts anyway I always try to keep things within a scheme. But, as with the gold headset, which came off of this bike, I couldn't quite bear to pay $100 for a new headset just to change the color.

    it must be fun to be an interior decorator. so many interesting people.

    isn't that more of an eggshell? and the black is more of a burnt ebony with undertones of coal?
    that headset is certainly 'reflected sunlight' or 'fort knox'?

    just joking ya! bike looks fine. functional and fast. and fun!
    Only boring people get bored.

  10. #10
    Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    191

    yer' a poseur!!!

    Come on, Hair Farmer,

    you planned that color schemata right down to those awful panaracer tires...You'll look smashing rolling over to Whitey's on your white 1x1. And I'm sure you can't wait to give the Maah Daah Hey a whitewashing...Oh I'm dying over here. So did you off-load the XO-1 yet? But seriously folks; that rig looks fine. When's the next Minneapplepuss run? Bring 'er along for some Wednesday night action.

    -Dwight Trashe
    carsrcoffins.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottms33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    206

    nice

    that ride looks great, i am riding a buss now and i was going to get a sass but i think i might get a surly now that everyone says the bianchi frame is crap,

    whats the travel on your fork ???

    scott

  12. #12
    Dain Bramaged
    Reputation: Dijridoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    300

    Yes I am

    I am a large poseur.

    Actually it did look smashing en route to the Grand Funk Wednesday Night Ride last night. You would be proud, though the emphatic lack of dirt on said ride is a sad point indeed. Hopefully she will see some real ride time at lunch today and likely the trails this weekend.

    I love you, man

    --Marky Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Dain Bramaged
    Reputation: Dijridoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    300

    One hunnerd mmmmmmmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by scottms33
    that ride looks great, i am riding a buss now and i was going to get a sass but i think i might get a surly now that everyone says the bianchi frame is crap,

    whats the travel on your fork ???

    scott
    I believe I should consider funding an 80mm fork soon. 100mm feels too much for me on this frame.

  14. #14
    Chumpstomper
    Reputation: SuperClydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijridoo
    Finally got it built. Frame came UPS yesterday, stripped the parts off the gearie at lunch, talked my buddy into swapping the headset and facing the headtube/BB/disc tabs after work, had it built in 2 hours after that.

    Yeah the colors are eclectic, but that will get better after I put on some big black tires and black grips.

    So far I love it. Gearing is low for in town (34/18) and I think I need a longer stem. The 100mm fork needs to become 80mm but overall it's purdy.
    randy

    nice looking ride. i am about 3 weeks into my new 1x1. i'll have to post some pix soon.

    what's the latest on the ND NAG? is the state still hot to provide some support?

    mark

  15. #15
    Dain Bramaged
    Reputation: Dijridoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    300

    Yeah?

    The NAG is happening. Probably no involvement with the state - see the link below for total info.

    The 1x1 got her first real offroad test yesterday - splendid good fun. I forgot how much fun it is to carry speed into a climb and just mash on up. Whee!

Similar Threads

  1. ABQ FreeRide Park!!!!! Feb. 28th help build it.
    By brianc in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 02:46 PM
  3. Any Surly Pacer owners within 3 hours of central Kentucky?
    By GirchyGirchy in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 04:25 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 01:11 AM
  5. Upgrading from my Surly.....
    By MellowCat in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 02:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •