Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503

    New steel Performance Bikes 2013 Charge Cooker SS

    I was looking around at 29er single speeds on the web and found something nice looking. Anybody seen the new steel Performance Bikes 2013 Charge Cooker SS? It looks almost exactly like my Haro Mary, the one MTB that I regret selling. I've been looking for another to take it's place and this new bike looks really interesting. I need to go by and see if any of their local stores have one in stock.

    2013 Charge Cooker SS Mountain Bike - 29er Mountain Bikes
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borbntm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    492
    Nice looking bike, wonder what it weighs? I am no longer in the market for a new single speed. I am diggin my steel framed carbon forked Civilian Luditte that I purchased a few months ago.....Lots of fun for little $$$ also, check them out!

  3. #3
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    Nice looking bike, wonder what it weighs? I am no longer in the market for a new single speed. I am diggin my steel framed carbon forked Civilian Luditte that I purchased a few months ago.....Lots of fun for little $$$ also, check them out!
    Ya that's what I was wondering too...called three PB stores and none of them had it in stock or planned to stock it, order only item....fawk.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  4. #4
    Big Boy
    Reputation: texasnavy05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    952
    EBB is not for me. Plus, its going to be hard to compete with the Civilian Luddite at $839.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

  5. #5
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,212
    The frame is probably pretty nice, but the build is not for me. If I was looking for a complete steel SS, I'd probably look at the Kona Unit.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    The frame is probably pretty nice, but the build is not for me. If I was looking for a complete steel SS, I'd probably look at the Kona Unit.
    Whats wrong with the build? Why is kona better?

  7. #7
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Sologear View Post
    Whats wrong with the build? Why is kona better?
    There is too much out of the gate that I'd want to upgrade on the Charger.

    Brakes; I'd rather have Avid BB7s than off market hydros. What LBS stocks Promax brake pads?

    Tires; WTB Prowlers are "adequate" IMO, but I like Maxxis Ikons better.

    Fork; The Charger has a 1.125" / 1.25" tapered fork, so you are stuck with that.

    I "think" the wheelset is better on the Unit, as I'm not familiar with the WTB SX19 wheelset on the Charger.

    If you have a bunch of Team Performance incentives you might be able to get so crazy deal on the Charger though (you hear stories about people getting frames for like $79 after the use their rewards, with other deals).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    There is too much out of the gate that I'd want to upgrade on the Charger.

    Brakes; I'd rather have Avid BB7s than off market hydros. What LBS stocks Promax brake pads?

    Tires; WTB Prowlers are "adequate" IMO, but I like Maxxis Ikons better.

    Fork; The Charger has a 1.125" / 1.25" tapered fork, so you are stuck with that.

    I "think" the wheelset is better on the Unit, as I'm not familiar with the WTB SX19 wheelset on the Charger.

    If you have a bunch of Team Performance incentives you might be able to get so crazy deal on the Charger though (you hear stories about people getting frames for like $79 after the use their rewards, with other deals).
    Ok thx for info helps me understand a bit more

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,073
    I would personally take the hit and bumo up to a specialized carve sl 29 SS.

    Erik

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    EBB is not for me. Plus, its going to be hard to compete with the Civilian Luddite at $839.
    I'm with you. I picked up the Luddite for $636 and it's a lot of bike for the money; the wheels and tires were heavy however. I'd rather have BB7s than low end hydros.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    694
    Performance seems to miss the mark about 20x more than they hit it. I don't see the value in this particular bike over many of the ~$500 SS 29ers. What happened to the GT Peace?

  12. #12
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Yeah been thinking and need another SS, looking at geometry, price and specs. The Nashbar SS 29er and Redline Monocog are my two new considerations as I'm on really tight budget atm due to house, car payments and all. Nothing good on CL lately, so buying new seems the way I gotta go.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PoisonDartFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    656
    At least a few OEMs still have SS bikes in their line-up. I was stating to think the trend was dying.
    Mind your own religion.

  14. #14
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    I would personally take the hit and bumo up to a specialized carve sl 29 SS.

    Erik
    I'm gonna have to take the hit and downgrade at the moment.... Looking at $400 - $500 range.

    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    At least a few OEMs still have SS bikes in their line-up. I was stating to think the trend was dying.
    Me too, thankfully there are still some being made and sold.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: panicstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    28
    Any opinions on the Redline Monocog with V-brakes? I would prefer mech disc but the price point seems good. I have been looking at SS that are sub $500 and it seems they would need a lot of upgrades which defeats the purpose. I agree the Civilian just can't be beat for the price and the Kona Unit seems really good too but they are out of the budget.

  16. #16
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,027
    y mot this one Raleigh Bicycles XXIX
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by panicstop View Post
    Any opinions on the Redline Monocog with V-brakes? I would prefer mech disc but the price point seems good. I have been looking at SS that are sub $500 and it seems they would need a lot of upgrades which defeats the purpose. I agree the Civilian just can't be beat for the price and the Kona Unit seems really good too but they are out of the budget.
    If you search for deals, you can get a pair of BB7's for around $100 with cables and housing. The Monocog already has disc hubs and v-brake levers so this is an easy conversion.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    y mot this one Raleigh Bicycles XXIX
    I was looking at this bike, they made some nice improvements over last years model. My only problem is it's priced a bit higher than last years model and a bit more than I want to pay for what they equipped it with.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: panicstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    28
    Thanks Bike Whisperer!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    If you search for deals, you can get a pair of BB7's for around $100 with cables and housing. The Monocog already has disc hubs and v-brake levers so this is an easy conversion.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    370
    The Performace bikes in Houston on FM 1960 has them in stock. So some stores stock them.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    82
    That civilian luddite is very nice, too bad they don't have my size...any idea when mediums will be available

  22. #22
    Performance Bicycle
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    The Performace bikes in Houston on FM 1960 has them in stock. So some stores stock them.

    The west houston store has them as well. I made sure I got my store to carry them after I got mine. The Nashbar ss bike is a great deal at the price.

  23. #23
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by panicstop View Post
    Any opinions on the Redline Monocog with V-brakes? I would prefer mech disc but the price point seems good. I have been looking at SS that are sub $500 and it seems they would need a lot of upgrades which defeats the purpose. I agree the Civilian just can't be beat for the price and the Kona Unit seems really good too but they are out of the budget.
    Great bike for great price.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  24. #24
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    I'm gonna have to take the hit and downgrade at the moment.... Looking at $400 - $500 range.

    Me too, thankfully there are still some being made and sold.
    I bought the Nashbar SS 29er, which is $474.99 at the moment, today only (5/7/13) Extra 25% off all orders $40 or more including bikes and frames, today only.
    Use code: NB40 at checkout.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: God's Favorite Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    y mot this one Raleigh Bicycles XXIX
    JUNGLEKID5...testifyin' and spreadin' the gospel!!!
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •