Thread: New SS options

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

New SS options

I've spent the last couple days doing research on what SS I want to buy, and can't come up with any reasonable solution - so I'm turning to the interwebs for help.

Currently I'm riding a 2008 GF Rig and I want to replace it with something new.

It seems there are tons of options in the 800-1200$ range, almost all being relatively low-end components and rigid forks.

Then there's the 2012 GF Rig at $1500 with a rockshox something or other.

And finally, there's a number of options up above $2900, which is too expensive for my taste.

So... to get to the point. I'm interested in something ~$1800-$2200, a mix of low-end and medium components AND a decent front compression fork, preferrably Fox. Does anyone know of any options out there?

Aside: The alternative is to sell the GF without the fork, and put it on whatever new bike I end up with; however, this complicates selling the GF Rig.

Further Aside: 2008 GF Rig for sale (the coffee color one).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went through this a couple of years ago. Couldn't find any complete SS bike that met my needs so I ended up building one from the frame up. I went with a Niner One9 frame and a Rockshox Reba with remote lockout. Couldn't find any Fox 29er forks at the time with remote lockout. Not sure if they started to make them now.

Could you get a new frame and transfer your GF parts over until you have money to upgrade? $500-$1000 for a nice frame, $500-$1000 for a nice fork and maybe new wheels with your $2200 and reuse everything else from the GF and upgrade as stuff wears out or you have extra money.

Complete SS bikes like you found are either entry level (rigid, cheap brakes, cheap wheels, etc) or alot of money with components you may not want. Its not like geared bikes where you set a price point and have 25 different bikes to choose from at that price.

Another option if you don't want to do all the leg work and research is maybe to go a LBS and tell them your budget and what you want and maybe they can put something together that meets your needs.

mtbr member
    How about a Civilian Young Turk?

It comes with a 1 x 10 drivetrain, but it also has sliding dropouts (same frame as the Luddite) that you could easily convert to a single speed.

Young Turk - Civilian - Civilian
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I might have found my solution - clearance niner one-9 on Competitive cyclist. That's a chunk I can bite with and build on.

mtbr member
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow dude, awesome find... This is one I may have to pull the trigger on! Time to get a bike sold so I have the ca$h.

Mtn View, CA
    Raleigh XXIX?
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

openwound
    Build your own bike starting from the frame -- it's not that difficult.

I have an OS Blackbuck that I really dig. There are other nice, not too expensive steel and aluminum frames that can be had on the interwebs, too...
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    A friend has an on one inbred he really likes,
    I've been reading a lot about some of he Chinese carbon frames and am leaning that way myself

mtbr member
    For two grand you can build an excellent bike up from scratch, nicer than any comparable stock build. It takes patience and a good eye to do it well though.

ask
    user
    I built up an On One Lurcher with a few new parts and parts off my 2009 GF Rig. I plan to replace all if the parts and eventually sell my Rig... But it was a good budget friendly option to move to a new SS with horizontal dropouts. I think I have about $600 into this frame and a few new parts so far. Still getting used to the new frame... But digging it so far.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352469274.713875.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  98.0 KB
    New SS options-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352469288.745089.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The best thing I can think of would be to buy a Santa Cruz AL Highball with the RCX 29 package (listed on the site at $2199). Then sell off the geared junk (Cassette, Rear Dr, Front Dr, Shifters, chainrings...) and buy the SS Swingers. Bam a SS in your price range with a Fox fork. The New CTD forks are super nice!

The Kona Big Unit looks pretty awesome also (never had any experience with Kona though, but the parts and numbers look spot on).

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
    Currently I'm riding a 2008 GF Rig and I want to replace it with something new.

So... to get to the point. I'm interested in something ~$1800-$2200, a mix of low-end and medium components AND a decent front compression fork, preferrably Fox. Does anyone know of any options out there?

Aside: The alternative is to sell the GF without the fork, and put it on whatever new bike I end up with; however, this complicates selling the GF Rig.
    I had an '09 Rig that I sold and built up a (used 2010) rigid steel Niner SIR 9.Total cost including selling the Rig was right around $1,100.

I also have a couple of suspension forks that fit on there fine if/when I need them (so far only once). I'd recommend against putting the Rig Fox fork on another non G2 ride. It is a 51mm offset design for the G2 frame and can does strange things to handling on other geometry frames. People run them like that but I wouldn't...

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    ...have a couple of suspension forks that fit on there fine if/when I need them (so far only once). I'd recommend against putting the Rig Fox fork on another non G2 ride. It is a 51mm offset design for the G2 frame and can does strange things to handling on other geometry frames. People run them like that but I wouldn't...
    I've read mixed reviews on this as well. In my personal experience I have not noticed any strange geometry / handling issues. My setup is nimble yet stabile as speed / cornering. However, I am planning to ditch the Fox G2 fork and most likely go with a Whiskey crabon fork, once I can scrape up the dough.

OP - Good luck on your SS build... it is a fun process and can be fairly affordable, since you don't have to worry about all the extra shifting components.