zeebot

New SS build (roadie)

Finally got the ENO hub and added the ENO freewheel. What an excellent combo! I'd seriously consider getting my next mtb built around this. Much easier to use than EBB. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the cool nerd
    That is nice!

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    What fork is that?

Nice ride...I have a Kelly Bone Stock that has a very similar future...

LP

mtbr member

not to start a flame war...

are those record brake levers? if so, beautiful, I love campy stuff!! Their pista group is a dream of mine for the far off future (when i can afford more than just 2 bikes)

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3
    are those record brake levers? if so, beautiful, I love campy stuff!! Their pista group is a dream of mine for the far off future (when i can afford more than just 2 bikes)
    Yep, they are record levers. Most everything on the bike is new and I was basically given the choice of shimano r600 levers or the campys. I got a good deal on the campy calipers so decided to match them with the record levers. very pleased i did. the hood is a lot nicer than the r600's and they look pretty nice too!

The king sticker is currently hiding a small dent from the stem pressing against it during shipping. Some suggested to use putty but i'm not sure it's worth the effort because I'll still have to cover it with something.

the total weight of the bike is probably around 15 pounds. perhaps less. the only thing i've compared it against was a full record bianchi lunar and my bike was significantly lighter.

here's a breakdown of the build for those curious and a shot of the levers and a better pic of the bike - although maybe it's not since i had to shrink it quite a bit.

ritchey wcs ergo bar w/ thomson stem and cinelli cork
    torelli aspect sl carbon fork w/ carbon steerer tube
    King headset
    campy record levers w/ matching calipers
    mavic ksyrium front wheel
    dt swiss 1.1r w/ eno hub and eno 18T freewheel
    sugino rd cranks w/ phil bb and 48T chainring - these are REALLY nice for 60 dollars...highly recommended! super light, stiff and very nice looking.
    dura-ace pedals

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Last edited by Spookykinkajou; 07-11-2005 at 05:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Can you tell me more about the cranks? I've got a track frame I'm building up into a fixed/ss road/commuter bike, but the last parts I'm missing are cranks and bottom bracket. Are those cranks ones that only take one chain ring? Is the bottom bracket a special one to get the chain line right for a single front cog?

I've not had time to do much research, so I'm still not sure if I need specific track cranks/bb or just 'normal' road cranks and bb with only one ring bolted on.

Thanks.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen
    Can you tell me more about the cranks? I've got a track frame I'm building up into a fixed/ss road/commuter bike, but the last parts I'm missing are cranks and bottom bracket. Are those cranks ones that only take one chain ring? Is the bottom bracket a special one to get the chain line right for a single front cog?

I've not had time to do much research, so I'm still not sure if I need specific track cranks/bb or just 'normal' road cranks and bb with only one ring bolted on.

Thanks.
    The cranks are Sugino RD. I had my bike shop order them. I was able to pick the length - they come in pretty much every size. I could also pick the chainring size that came on it. I think you can get pretty much any size but I don't know that for sure. You could make it a double if you wanted to. The ring that came on mine was in the outer position.

They are square taper so you can use the shimano un72 or it's cheaper brother un52 or whatever the cheaper model # is. un72 is sorta like XT i suppose. I got the phil wood bb because it allows a few mm adjustments with the chain line. Turns out I didn't need it and the un72 would've worked fine. with the eno hub a 110mm was an exact match.

I have XTR cranks on my mtb SS and can't tell a difference. They look really nice on the outside and are very light but the inside of the spider and chainring are definitely not fancy(just not polished like the rest of the crank) like the XTR and other more expensive cranks. but for 60 bucks you can't go wrong.

try driving your car less
    looks great! did you have enough adjustment at the rear brake to deal with the movement of the ENO eccentric? A guy at the LBS told me that ENO and rear brake on a road bike would not work, unless you have long reach brakes (like the Club Racer). THis is why they did not sell the 130mm spaced ENO, just the 135mm (mtn bike). Or you could not run a rear brake and just go fixed.
    But it looks like you made it work so he must be full of it.

Looks awesome! That must have been a bummer when you found the dent.
    If you ever do a repaint, they will putty it.
    Only boring people get bored.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    looks great! did you have enough adjustment at the rear brake to deal with the movement of the ENO eccentric? A guy at the LBS told me that ENO and rear brake on a road bike would not work, unless you have long reach brakes (like the Club Racer). THis is why they did not sell the 130mm spaced ENO, just the 135mm (mtn bike). Or you could not run a rear brake and just go fixed.
    But it looks like you made it work so he must be full of it.

Looks awesome! That must have been a bummer when you found the dent.
    If you ever do a repaint, they will putty it.
    I knew the dent was there. Thus the HUGE discount I got when buying it. I almost got the frame, fork, headset, post and stem for free.

The brakes work fine. There is plenty of adjustment. The guy is full of it. you can't have the eccentric set in the bottom position but as long as you set the chain right at first so it's near the middle or front in the top you should never have a problem since you have plenty of room for chain stretch.

Perhaps shimano brakes don't work. I have campy which I think are a lot nicer anyways.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Dent-schment. That is a lovely ride no matter how you cut it. That dent is out of sight, out of mind. Good job there, mate.

mtbr member

Finished mine a few months ago

I just rebuilt my old GT rode bike into a single speed for training purpouses and i can tell you I thought that I knew pain before but I was wrong. I am running the big ring in the front (not quit sure on the tooth count) and a 16t in the back and man once you hit that wind for like 10 miles your legs are toast.

I even wake up the next day aching but hey what can I say I fell in love with the thing no shifting is beatuiful. That is why I am now dedicated to building a singlespeed mountian bike. hopefully I can have it all done by next year.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by calfkiller
    I just rebuilt my old GT rode bike into a single speed for training purpouses and i can tell you I thought that I knew pain before but I was wrong. I am running the big ring in the front (not quit sure on the tooth count) and a 16t in the back and man once you hit that wind for like 10 miles your legs are toast.

I even wake up the next day aching but hey what can I say I fell in love with the thing no shifting is beatuiful. That is why I am now dedicated to building a singlespeed mountian bike. hopefully I can have it all done by next year.
    I can't even begin to say how much stronger I've gotten since I've been doing regular century rides on the SS roadie. Originally I was on a real beater Schwinn fixed gear in 48-16 but it was just too abusive on longer rides so I changed to a 48-18 freewheel. the schwinn finally gave out a month or two ago so I started building this IF.

I love riding this new bike. I've put in 175mi so far since Sunday. This weekend I'm dragging a couple of unsuspecting people through the Adirondacks on a 136mi ride on Saturday and hopefully another century on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Gorgeous ride.
    I completely agree about the eno. It is the most user friendly system out there.

mtbr member

I hear you bro

I just did a 50 mile ride on the GT last weekend and by the end of it I could bearly feel my legs. I can 60 milers on my Carrera (my baby a beatuiful Italian ti-carbon mix with nothing but Campy) without my legs getting half as tired as what i felt last weekend.

- I have to say it again i love that damn thing.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by calfkiller
    I just did a 50 mile ride on the GT last weekend and by the end of it I could bearly feel my legs. I can 60 milers on my Carrera (my baby a beatuiful Italian ti-carbon mix with nothing but Campy) without my legs getting half as tired as what i felt last weekend.

- I have to say it again i love that damn thing.
    That's sorta how I started. I got it originally to commute to work which is about 18 miles round trip on a totally flat bike path. Then I got brave and took it on a ~45mi ride through some pretty big hills. by the time I finished my legs were cramping up and I was exhausted. Then I went to 60mi, etc etc until now I can pretty much ride all day long on it through most any kind of hills.