mtbr member

New SRAM Torpedo Fixed/Free Hub

Anyone else come across this yet?

You can be fixed or freewheeling as you choose.
    Technically it's for a road frame with130mm dropout spacing, but at 174mm, the axle looks to be long enough to space the hub out to 135mm.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnz
    Anyone else come across this yet?

You can be fixed or freewheeling as you choose.
    Technically it's for a road frame with130mm dropout spacing, but at 174mm, the axle looks to be long enough to space the hub out to 135mm.
    Very cool.

Not even the purists in this forum can say it is not a "true" SS,

I'd love that with a disc rotor tab.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    I want, I want, I want....
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Now imagine if they incorporated an eccentric into that as well.

It'd be the end all be all of single speed hubs.

Probably costs too much.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Awesome.

Just saw this. How cool is that? A gear to ride to the trail, one for the trail, and a granny. Hell, it could almost make fixed touring look attractive.

I'm glad larger companies are starting to cater to us.

-Rob.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just don't see how it's any more effective than a flip/flop. It needs to have a 6 bolt mounting surface, than it'd really be something. The only advantage this has over a flip/flop is if you use directional tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    ...The only advantage this has over a flip/flop is if you use directional tires.
    That's a big advantage in my eyes - I hate getting my fingers greasy when riding, so I tend to stick on freewheel longer than I should.

(Small voice in background - because I'm a crap fixie rider and keep finding reasons not to flip the hub - too short a section, nearly home, remembering the involuntary handstand I did on the bars last time, etc etc)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Very cool.

Not even the purists in this forum can say it is not a "true" SS,

I'd love that with a disc rotor tab.
    Purist would say - "that has 2 gears, fixed and free!"

I prefer to have my Fixed a higher ratio than my Free, so a flip-flop makes more sense to me. But a disc mount would be nice.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005

Close, but no cigar...

Almost the product I've been hankering for, but for a few niggles.
    (YMMV)

* Weird 46mm or 49mm chainline.
    Two of my bikes have oldschool 42mm track chainline with a screw-on cog; And my 2 singlespeed MTBs use a cassette hub, so chainline can be tweaked a little - The SRAM cog can't be tweaked, so you're into the decades-old story of swapping cranks and bottom brackets to achieve good chainline. Why not EITHER stick to the "standard" track chainline OR make it (slightly) adjustable to avoid this old problem?

* Weird 130mm "road" spacing.
    Won't fit my 120mm or 112mm track frames; Won't fit my old school 126mm roadie frame; But might be OK in the 135mm MTB frames. Using the 130mm rear spacing found on roadie or hybrid bikes suggests they're avoiding high-torque applications like off-road or track-bikes.

* No disc mount.
    This = no rear brake option for me, as my singlespeed MTB (my only frame that might work with the 130mm hub spacing) is disc-only.

I KNOW no other fixed hub has a disc mount, but it would have been a dream come true- 1 rear wheel for both fixed and SS with the ability to still run a disc brake on the singlespeed MTB in the winter mud or snow.

The non-driveside of the hub shell has LOADS of space for an ISO disc mount.

AND adding a 6-bolt disc mount would have given the option to run a bolt-on cog, giving 2 slightly different gear ratios, as most people already DO with a flip-flop hub.

Sorry - Rant over. Just a bit confused and disappointed that it won't work on any of my 3 dedicated singlespeed or fixed bikes without some sort of modification or re-spacing to hub or frame...?

Last edited by Welsh Dave; 11-20-2008 at 06:18 PM.