VENI VEDI BIKI

New singlespeed project_need advice

This is my first offroad single speed project. Frame was a craigslist steal. Idea is to build up using old parts i have on hand when possible and then later upgrade if I dig it.

My question is whether I need/should get a new single speed specific crankset. I have two old ones in the parts bin, but both have seen better days and have worn/ground teeth. If I use one of the older ones, I will probably make it a dingle.

So are either of these worth using? I can't tell if the wear is bad enough to justify a new purchase. If I went new, I would probably get a cheapo dimension cyclocross crankset (I think they are like $34).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    my first single speed project had a cheap crank exactly like yours and was used for 1500-2000 miles. Never had a problem with it. It doesn't look pretty but it works!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker
    This is my first offroad single speed project. Frame was a craigslist steal. Idea is to build up using old parts i have on hand when possible and then later upgrade if I dig it.

My question is whether I need/should get a new single speed specific crankset. I have two old ones in the parts bin, but both have seen better days and have worn/ground teeth. If I use one of the older ones, I will probably make it a dingle.

So are either of these worth using? I can't tell if the wear is bad enough to justify a new purchase. If I went new, I would probably get a cheapo dimension cyclocross crankset (I think they are like $34).

Thanks.
    The problem I see there is the chain rings have ramps and the chain could jump off, plus if you plan on getting a new chain a cog its better to have a brand new SS chainring to wear evenly with the chain and cog , old cogs/rings/chains dont play well with new chains/cogs/rings. BTW if you dont already have a seatpost good luck finding one
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    BTW if you dont already have a seatpost good luck finding one
    Why do you say that? According to my measurements and Sheldon's website, it should take a 26.0mm post.

Here are a bunch http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCkQrQQwAA

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker
    Why do you say that? According to my measurements and Sheldon's website, it should take a 26.0mm post.

Here are a bunch http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCkQrQQwAA
    well I meant finding a good one, only good quality Ive found was a thomson one.

playin hooky

I like Sugino for retro projects

True the ramps and pins will do you in... a dedicated SS ring is great - or just one with plain teeth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    well I meant finding a good one, only good quality Ive found was a thomson one.
    X2. I've been looking for a weight weenie seat post in 26.0, and the Thomson is as good/light as it's going to get...so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    ummm...if i were building i would just order a new one, just to make sure it works....that looks like it's gonna be a sweet bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    well that first cranks has 6 botls on the outer ring and 4 on the innner.
    Can GUARANTEE you won't find a non-custom chainring for that puppy!
    second crank's got pinned rings, not meant to be removed (or replaced)

my advice is to throw that 34$ in the right direction because neither of those shown is particularly nice (or easy to work with down the road) and you're almost guaranteed a decent weight loss with newer cranks.
    34 bucks to drop maybe 1/4 pounds, maybe 1/2? money well spent!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    well that first cranks has 6 botls on the outer ring and 4 on the innner.
    Can GUARANTEE you won't find a non-custom chainring for that puppy!
    second crank's got pinned rings, not meant to be removed (or replaced)

my advice is to throw that 34$ in the right direction because neither of those shown is particularly nice (or easy to work with down the road) and you're almost guaranteed a decent weight loss with newer cranks.
    34 bucks to drop maybe 1/4 pounds, maybe 1/2? money well spent!
    those arent actually bolts , there some sort of rivet. ive tried to remove them before without success, maybe if you had a dremel but really to go custom for something that low end is really not worth it.id go with a 5 bolt crank set, maybe one of these:

http://www.danscomp.com/452035.php

dans comp used to have a really nice set of dotek cranks for 30 buck but i guess they were defective so they dont sell them anymore

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to canibalize a sugino XD triple from another project. I will probably drop the outer ring and put on a bash.

Next step is to clear coat the frame, as the paint flakes anytime you sneeze at it. I did some touch up with nail polish, but couldn't get the color right. I am going to go shoot for an 80s sparkly effect with the clearcoat to try and hide some of it. Any tips for masking the BB and headtube, other than liberal amounts of painters tape?

Did I catch a niner+?
    They're not bad frames. I have a 1997 converted to SS with the semi horizontal dropouts tension is easy to get. I got a new crankset from Amazon its a Shimano LX taken from a Tandem. Pretty strong and a nice polished aluminum.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    I'd put money into a new crank, drivetrain, and wheels long before a new coat of paint or a 26.0 thompson post...

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by campredcloudbikes
    I'd put money into a new crank, drivetrain, and wheels long before a new coat of paint or a 26.0 thompson post...
    its T-H-O-M-S-O-N

Members who have read this thread: 0