Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slow riding mama's boy

New singlespeed, and crankset question.

After throwing the idea of a singlespeed around ever since I had my tail handed to me by a guy riding one, I finally did it. For just over $500 on E-Bay, picked up a nice Gunnar. After a change of freewheels to dial in the gearing and a few other tweaks (Ti stem and seatpost, new bar), I was off.

SInglespeeding is awesome. I love the frame, although the battleship gray maybe leaves something to be desired. I actually prefer the way it rides and handles to my Switchblade. That was a big surprise to me. It's extremely comfortable and tears up singletrack. Anyway, I'm hooked. I've ridden it more than my Titus since I got it. This might be dangerous.

Here's the problem. It has a Truvativ Singlespeed Stylo 180mm crank with an Isis bb. The BB is pretty much toast, but I don't really want to support Truvativ (long story) and I don't think I want to stay with Isis anyway. I'll probably sell the cranks and replace them. I don't know what's available in replacement cranks, however, and I haven't had much luck looking at the usual places (Jenson, etc.)

I know I want 180s, and either a 32 or 34 tooth sprocket (the Truvativ has a 33). On my geared bikes I've used XT hollowtechs almost exclusively, as the bang for the buck can't be beat. (Not the outboard bearing ones, the previous model.) Can those be adapted to singlespeed use? I like the idea of being able to use a $25 XT bottom bracket, as they are very reliable, inexpensive, not too heavy, and easy to replace. Whether or not those can be adapted for SS use, what other non-Isis cranksets are available? I want stiff and light as possible, but not necessarily exotic. BTW, I'm a 6'2" 160 pound rider who rides cross country. I'd prefer not to have to buy a regular crankset and modify it, but I will if that's the best option.

I'd really appreciate as many options as possible. Thanks for your ideas. Glad to be a part of the singlespeed community!

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contrarian
    I have to say I love the gray. You should be able to use XT cranks OK if you put an non-ramped ring in the middle ring position. You can then either run a bashring instead of the big ring or use shorter (track) chainring bolts.
    Don't you guys ever talk about anything apart from bikes?
    www.shitshifter.com

mtbr member
    I just logged in to post a similar question. What is your reasoning for not supporting Truvativ and ISIS? I'm considering the Stylo setup (perhaps I can buy yours?).

As far as a stiff interface, ISIS will be hard to beat besides the new 1 piece crank/BB units. The Stylo is one of the few I know of in 180 mm lengths (hopefully someone will chime in with something else). Pretty much any crank can be modified for SS. Remove the chainrings, bolt on a desired chainring and bashguard (optional) and off you go. I will have a SS hub and freewheel in the back so I'm not sure what (if any) chainline issues may exist. I'm contemplating the same question; get a standard 175 mm crankset and covert, or buy SS specific? There are a few other cranksets I know of at 180 mm, but they are square taper and expensive. I'm considering the "standard and covert" option since I have 1 other bike that I can swap parts with in the event of a failure on one, plus I may be able to pick something up on sale.

So I would like to see responses as well, esp. reasoning against the Truvativ Stylo.

Thanks!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Nice looking ride Billy Zoom.
    I have a set of 175mm XT M752 cranks on my Surly that The Path Bikeshop installed for me. They did not seem to have any issues with me using them when they were presented with them. When I actually collect the bike and get to ride it in October I will probably know better how they perform.
    On the Stylos. I had a set of the Team Stylo's on my geary. I managed to burr the teeth on them within about 6 months. They seem to be pretty soft and 215lb of me was obviously too much for them. I also managed to eat 2 ISIS BB's in that time as well.
    I would suggest that perhaps the Stylo's are not the crankset for a heavier rider. I replaced them with M752's as well and the difference is huge. Less flex and I seem to be riding and especially climbing much better.

Derailleurs owned: 0

ENO cranks

I have 180mm ISIS Truvativs on all 3 of my bikes...

you might like these:
    http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=401&page=1

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Zoom
    I know I want 180s, and either a 32 or 34 tooth sprocket (the Truvativ has a 33). On my geared bikes I've used XT hollowtechs almost exclusively, as the bang for the buck can't be beat. (Not the outboard bearing ones, the previous model.) Can those be adapted to singlespeed use?
    Yes, and quite easily. The easiest and lowest-cost route? Pull the flat ring and bashring from your Truvativ set up (provided they're still worth using), and bolt 'em right onto your new XT units. The bolt patterns are the same, and the hardware is interchangeable.

Given the breakage issues with the Stylo SS cranks, I don't blame you for not wanting them - that said, the rings are actually of a pretty high quality, and I had good success with them (on 03 XT cranks). As far as a new crank set-up goes, I'd certainly go with the new XT design, or hold out for the Shimano Hone group's offering. I know several folks who are happily running the 760 XT cranks, and I wish I were one of them!

Sweet ride, by the way, and welcome to the world.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Derailleurs owned: 0
    Avoid 6061 Truvativs... the 7050 are stronger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c0jones
    I have 180mm ISIS Truvativs on all 3 of my bikes...

you might like these:
    http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=401&page=1
    So with the mtn. biking moving toward ISIS, splined and 2 pc. crankset/BB units, will we be able to find replacement square taper BBs in the near future? I don't really want to dump $200 on nice cranks if I can't replace the BB when it wears out in 2 years. Of the 35 BBs offered at Cambria, 10 are square taper.

banned
    my thoughts:

ISIS is better than square-taper but inferior to outboard bearings or BMX style 3-pc cranks.

Truvativ cranks -- Stylos are flexy as hell, I bent mine after only a few months on my SS. Holzfeller and Hussefelt are stiff, but heavy.

180mm crankarms - you can get Shimano XT, Race Face Turbine ISIS, and several FSA crankarms in a 180mm length. most every BMX style 3-pc comes in 180mm and longer lengths.

ISIS BBs -- RaceFace Evolve FR suck, they go bad quickly. Shimano XT Hollowtech last pretty well. Truvativ Sealex DH ISIS are pretty bombproof. People I trust say that the Race Face Signature XS ISIS BB is good if you can get it on sale, as it has replaceable bearings and the rest is bombproof.

Short answer: I vote for Shimano XT Hollowtech (2003 model) in 180mm with appropriate BB, or for RaceFace Turbine LP in 180mm with appropriate Truvativ Sealex DH ISIS BB.

Slow riding mama's boy

I had a nightmare Truvativ customer service experience

Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    I just logged in to post a similar question. What is your reasoning for not supporting Truvativ and ISIS? I'm considering the Stylo setup (perhaps I can buy yours?).

As far as a stiff interface, ISIS will be hard to beat besides the new 1 piece crank/BB units. The Stylo is one of the few I know of in 180 mm lengths (hopefully someone will chime in with something else). Pretty much any crank can be modified for SS. Remove the chainrings, bolt on a desired chainring and bashguard (optional) and off you go. I will have a SS hub and freewheel in the back so I'm not sure what (if any) chainline issues may exist. I'm contemplating the same question; get a standard 175 mm crankset and covert, or buy SS specific? There are a few other cranksets I know of at 180 mm, but they are square taper and expensive. I'm considering the "standard and covert" option since I have 1 other bike that I can swap parts with in the event of a failure on one, plus I may be able to pick something up on sale.

So I would like to see responses as well, esp. reasoning against the Truvativ Stylo.

Thanks!
    I've been treated that poorly very rarely. After dealing with that, I decided I wouldn't buy their products. In this case, however, it's more an Isis thing. Since I didn't actually buy it new, I'm not THAT unreasonable. I'd still not have a Truvativ product on my bike though. SO, maybe I AM unreasonable. I've heard some good things, though, so maybe my experience isn't typical.

Joel

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

another vote for eno...

i've got a set of white ind. eno cranks on my kelly 29er...great cranks. they are light, stiff and beautifully made. you'll be able to get a 32 or 34t no problem. the square taper design has been here for awhile and it's here to stay. i am using a race face taperlock with my eno cranks.

i also have a set of xtr cranks with a boone spiderless ti ring, and had the new x-type race face dues cranks on my geary (sold the geary, kept the crankset). both the xtr/boone and dues xc are just as stiff as the eno cranks, and the eno cranks are pretty good price wise when comepared to both these.

the eno cranks would be great, if you don't have to have a bash ring. try larry at www.mtnhighcyclery.com for a pair, he got me a KILLER deal.
    cheers!

After throwing the idea of a singlespeed around ever since I had my tail handed to me by a guy riding one, I finally did it. For just over $500 on E-Bay, picked up a nice Gunnar. After a change of freewheels to dial in the gearing and a few other tweaks (Ti stem and seatpost, new bar), I was off.

SInglespeeding is awesome. I love the frame, although the battleship gray maybe leaves something to be desired. I actually prefer the way it rides and handles to my Switchblade. That was a big surprise to me. It's extremely comfortable and tears up singletrack. Anyway, I'm hooked. I've ridden it more than my Titus since I got it. This might be dangerous.

Here's the problem. It has a Truvativ Singlespeed Stylo 180mm crank with an Isis bb. The BB is pretty much toast, but I don't really want to support Truvativ (long story) and I don't think I want to stay with Isis anyway. I'll probably sell the cranks and replace them. I don't know what's available in replacement cranks, however, and I haven't had much luck looking at the usual places (Jenson, etc.)

I know I want 180s, and either a 32 or 34 tooth sprocket (the Truvativ has a 33). On my geared bikes I've used XT hollowtechs almost exclusively, as the bang for the buck can't be beat. (Not the outboard bearing ones, the previous model.) Can those be adapted to singlespeed use? I like the idea of being able to use a $25 XT bottom bracket, as they are very reliable, inexpensive, not too heavy, and easy to replace. Whether or not those can be adapted for SS use, what other non-Isis cranksets are available? I want stiff and light as possible, but not necessarily exotic. BTW, I'm a 6'2" 160 pound rider who rides cross country. I'd prefer not to have to buy a regular crankset and modify it, but I will if that's the best option.

I'd really appreciate as many options as possible. Thanks for your ideas. Glad to be a part of the singlespeed community!

Joel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    my thoughts:

ISIS is better than square-taper but inferior to outboard bearings or BMX style 3-pc cranks.

Truvativ cranks -- Stylos are flexy as hell, I bent mine after only a few months on my SS. Holzfeller and Hussefelt are stiff, but heavy.

and

ISIS BBs -- RaceFace Evolve FR suck, they go bad quickly. Shimano XT Hollowtech last pretty well. Truvativ Sealex DH ISIS are pretty bombproof. People I trust say that the Race Face Signature XS ISIS BB is good if you can get it on sale, as it has replaceable bearings and the rest is bombproof.
    I currently have an FSA bb with my Stylo's. I don't think I will keep the stylo's through another BB failure. The FSA is holding up nicely up to this point though. My stylo's seem to be bent. I have a very tight spot and a very loose spot in my chain. The loose and tight spots stay the same with new chainrings and a new bottom bracket. I have a feeling mine are bent also.

I never had troubles with square taper.

GP

glyphic bacon

Consider square tapers...

I had Stylo ISIS 180's with the Truvativ BB...toasted it in about a months riding. Complete garbage. In fact the whole ISIS thing is a poorly executed idea, reliability has been a serious issue for all manufacturers (that's why Chris King hasn't come out with an ISIS BB yet).

Right now I'm running two sets of XT Hollowtech splined cranks. I used to like them alot, as they are stiff, light and priced decently (I've been riding them since '01). However, I must say that I go through XT splined BB's rather quickly too. They rarely last more than 6 months if I'm riding pretty regularly. If it's wet and muddy and I'm riding frequently, they will not even last that long. And I'm no clyde huckster or extreme rider at all, just joe blow x-country and that's it.

I've become convinced that the hollow shaft, splined crank idea is an idea that isn't ripe yet. The basic design premise is sound, but the bottom bracket bearings all of the manufacturers have come out with are garbage of varying degrees (which is surprising for Shimano). They do not have the bearings sealed properly and the smaller ball size used in these ISIS/Octalink bottom brackets (compared to square taper) leads to a much shorter bearing lifespan. In short, the ISIS/Octalink standard is "the latest greatest" and is more hype than a true advancement in mountain bike technology. The newer cranks are expensive, the bearings fail much more quickly (and are expensive to replace), and the "increase in stiffness" was completely negligible and unnoticeable for me (other than placebo effect).

What I would recommend is getting a good (XT etc) late generation square taper crank. Save yourself some dough and the aggravation of reaching down every few months and feeling your crank warble around because the bearings are loosening up. Plus if you're worried about square taper BB availability in the future, don't. They'll be available for years and years to come.

Oh yeah one more thing, your Truvativ 4 bolt chainring will work fine on your shimano crank (they are both 4 bolt 104mm "compact" type). Plus although unramped chainrings are preffered, the ramped middle chainring on the Shimano crank (usually a 32 tooth) will work ok, that's what I'm running right now. Just make sure your chainline is decently aligned and it'll work fine.

good luck

Here's the problem. It has a Truvativ Singlespeed Stylo 180mm crank with an Isis bb. The BB is pretty much toast, but I don't really want to support Truvativ (long story) and I don't think I want to stay with Isis anyway. On my geared bikes I've used XT hollowtechs almost exclusively, as the bang for the buck can't be beat. (Not the outboard bearing ones, the previous model.) Can those be adapted to singlespeed use?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    the eno cranks would be great, if you don't have to have a bash ring. try larry at www.mtnhighcyclery.com for a pair, he got me a KILLER deal.
    cheers!
    Has anyone with a bashguard on their crankset ever NEEDED it? I'm running a guard on my other converted SS, but I've never had my chainring ever make contact with anything on any bike I've ever ridden. I suppose I see a use for DHers traversing rock gardens, etc., but I'm beginning to think that they may be overkill for XC riding.

banned
    I don't run any bashring on my SS, just the Turbine LP crankarm and the 32t ring. never bash the ring/chain.

mtbr member
    I'm using Deore Octalink cranks on my Kona with XT BB and switch between a Salsa 32t and 34t ring with no problems so far. I install the ring on the outer side of the spider but can be used in the middle too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run the older 750 Shimano XT crank arms in 180mm length with a Salsa ring and tooth ferry bash ring. They work great. They are cheap, strong, stiff, etc. I've mercilessly abused them for a many years. They are gauged, scraped, scratched, and beaten. Cosmetically they look horrible. I keep waiting for them to break so I can replace them with something prettier. I have been waiting for years. If they broke tomorrow I'd probably get another set of XTs only I"d use a Blackspire ring and spot guard. Sure, they aren't as swank as the ENOs, but if I cared about that I wouldn't be riding a POS surly .

BTW, glad the Ruffian is working out for you. I want one really bad. If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and what size frame and stem are you using?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

freewheel?

Quote Originally Posted by GP-TJ
    My stylo's seem to be bent. I have a very tight spot and a very loose spot in my chain. The loose and tight spots stay the same with new chainrings and a new bottom bracket.
    You have an out-of-round freewheel.

FWIW, I've been running the Truvativ Stylo 180mm SS cranks for two years now with no problems, even when I weighed 210 lbs. I toasted one Truvativ BB and recently installed the FSA Platinum Pro BB. The whole setup works for me, but it doesn't really have any bling factor.

mtbr member

Good job!

Joel

I know a couple of people riding the XT cranks you are talking about. The nice thing about them is you can remove the spider and install a Boone Ti chain ring.

Slow riding mama's boy

I'm running the XL frame.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe0807
    I run the older 750 Shimano XT crank arms in 180mm length with a Salsa ring and tooth ferry bash ring. They work great. They are cheap, strong, stiff, etc. I've mercilessly abused them for a many years. They are gauged, scraped, scratched, and beaten. Cosmetically they look horrible. I keep waiting for them to break so I can replace them with something prettier. I have been waiting for years. If they broke tomorrow I'd probably get another set of XTs only I"d use a Blackspire ring and spot guard. Sure, they aren't as swank as the ENOs, but if I cared about that I wouldn't be riding a POS surly .

BTW, glad the Ruffian is working out for you. I want one really bad. If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and what size frame and stem are you using?
    I'm just over 6"2'" with a 33 inch inseam. I'm running a 120x10 degree stem and a straight post with no setback. I tried a 110 mm stem and preferred the 120. Feels great. I can't believe how reasonable it was used. $510 for a whole used bike, $700 ish for a new frame alone. Pretty easy decision.

Joel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    You have an out-of-round freewheel.

FWIW, I've been running the Truvativ Stylo 180mm SS cranks for two years now with no problems, even when I weighed 210 lbs. I toasted one Truvativ BB and recently installed the FSA Platinum Pro BB. The whole setup works for me, but it doesn't really have any bling factor.
    Forgot to mention that I changed that too. The only thing in the drivetrain that wasn't changed was the crank itself. New chain, new ring, new freewheel.

GP

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

aha

Quote Originally Posted by GP-TJ
    Forgot to mention that I changed that too. The only thing in the drivetrain that wasn't changed was the crank itself. New chain, new ring, new freewheel.

GP
    Very strange indeed. Perhaps the new chainring and the new freewheel are both out of round? I have always had a tight and loose spot on my chain, regardless of the age of the components - very rarely are chainrings or freewheels "round." Have you tried Sheldon Brown's "trick" for tightening the chainring bolts to eliminate the tight/loose spots? I can't see how a bent crankarm would cause tight/loose spots - I would think it would instead cause the chainline to be off side to side (instead of front to back).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Very strange indeed. Perhaps the new chainring and the new freewheel are both out of round? I have always had a tight and loose spot on my chain, regardless of the age of the components - very rarely are chainrings or freewheels "round." Have you tried Sheldon Brown's "trick" for tightening the chainring bolts to eliminate the tight/loose spots? I can't see how a bent crankarm would cause tight/loose spots - I would think it would instead cause the chainline to be off side to side (instead of front to back).

I don't know how it happens either. I tried the "hit the chain with a tool trick" on Sheldon's site. It doesn't do anything for my problem. I loosened the bolts a lot and it didn't loosen the tight spot. I think the spider is bent. I usually go over logs/rocks with my left pedal at about 2 o'clock. That is my tight spot. That's why I think something is bent.

I can still ride it though (when I get my rear wheel relaced that is)
    GP

mtbr member

another crank option

I just ordered the 34x180 White Industries crankset from webcyclery.

Square Taper--oh drat, that'll never work.

It's worked for me since 1986. I hear that others have used it longer. Hell, if it weren't for ISIS Chris King would probably be selling BB's by now.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Joel
    joel.
    I run race face ISIS BB and 180mm race face turbine cranks, black spire 32 tooth CR with spot ring guard and a 8 speed wipperman connex chain with singleator. this has been the set up for four years with NO problems whatsoever. I recommend my set up to anyone. the only change would be a boone Ti chain ring and race face next cranks ( for the carbon wank factor no other reason)

All the best

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast