mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New to single speeders

Hey, right now I have a geared, 4" travel Felt bike that i use to get to and from school and the occasional dirt jumping session. I've been reading about SS bikes, and i want to build one to use for gettin around.

Any tips? Such as gear ratios or certain parts that are neccesary?
    Also I have a limited budget, as I'm 16 and unemployed. I get 100/per month, so i couldn't spend more than about 50 a month on stuff.

Any help would be much apreciated

mtbr member
    Start at the top of the main page in the upper right hang corner.
    Then read one of the countless post on the same subject.

Singlespeed:
    FAQ - read this first!!
    SS Reviews
    29" Reviews
    Classifieds
    Photo Gallery
    Member pictures
    SS Resource Page

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wide handlebars are your friend

But if you already do dirt jump I guess you know that already lol

Also, since you're on a budget and starting out with SS, I recommend *not* going the "microdrive" route. Get a big chainring, and start with a big cog. Then you can step the cog size down as you get better and shorten the chain as you go. If you start with, say, a 24t chainring and 12t cog and you decide you want to go faster, you'll run out of smaller cogs real fast, so you'll have to get a bigger chainring, which will require lengthening the chain.

I started at a 38t chainring and 20t cog when I converted my 3x8 to SS (using the original multi-speed parts). After I built my 29er SS using 32:16, if I try to ride 38:20 on my 26er again (converted it back to 1x8) it's uselessly slow lol.

You will get serious leg strength from SS, which really helps your geared riding, since you'll shift less, opting to just stand up and pump harder for short bursts.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    32:18 is perfect for me off road as I'm just starting out. You spin out quickly riding on road though.

ballbuster

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by groggy
    32:18 is perfect for me off road as I'm just starting out. You spin out quickly riding on road though.

32:20 for a 29er, unless you live somewhere without big steep hills.

RIDE4FUN
    2:1 is a good place to start. I rode 32/15 for a long time and just recently switched to a 32/13 for everything. I used to use the 13 for resorts only. I definitely feel stronger. This gearing on an 8" dh bike is brutal when you start pedaling up hill, sure is fun though. On my dirtjumper I'm running 25/12. This has been the most common one we set up for ourselves and friends. Don't spin too quick but isn't too bad to get up speed on at the same time.
    Grassroots Cycles
    Check out our BLOG