mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New to single speed

Looking for a single speed bike for 500$ or less (new or used). If anyone has any suggestions I am open. Looking for something I can use for possible commuting, but mostly trail use, on a more or less well groomed trail. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have been looking at a GT Peace for 300$ used that currently looks like my best option based on reviews. The cheaper the better, but I would like something that is very functional, low maintenance, and will last as I improve in the single speed biking.

mtbr member
    Gravity 29'er at bikesdirect seems to be a very popular starting point. Most expensive one is $450 i think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The GT Peace is also a "Rigid" single speed. No clue what that means but if that makes a difference let me know. It has 26" wheels but can convert to 29. From what I read a 29 would be best, and I have no clue what switch from 26 to 29 would cost. Any information is wonderful I just want to start off with a nice bike that will last!

mtbr member
    Rigid implies that it has no suspension. As to whether 26'' or 29'' is better? That's an ongoing debate. I don't know if it is convertible to 29'' or not but know there is a 29'' version. As to how much it would cost to swap? Atleast a set of wheels and tires which varies according to budget

mtbr member
    Buy something used and get a better bike for the same $$.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Buy something used and get a better bike for the same $$.

SPP
    What he said. I was waiting for the Gravity G29 rigids to come back in stock. Surfing the local C list and picked up a 2012 Redline Monocog Flight for 450!!! Rigid is def gonna take some getting used to.

mtbr member
    I think you might need to spend hundreds to switch the wheelset to 29er -- so may be better to look for one already set up as a 29er.

Used in your budget (some you'd have to find a great deal):
    GT Peace
    Redline Monocog (make sure 29, some were 26)
    SE Stout
    Haro Mary
    Raleigh XXIX
    Surley Karate Monkey
    Dawes Bullseye/Deadeye

New in your budget:
    Gravity 29er (BikesDirect.com)
    Nashbar 29er (Nashbar.com -- I have one and like it a lot)
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    The GT Peace is also a "Rigid" single speed. No clue what that means but if that makes a difference let me know. It has 26" wheels but can convert to 29. From what I read a 29 would be best, and I have no clue what switch from 26 to 29 would cost. Any information is wonderful I just want to start off with a nice bike that will last!
    I doubt very much that the 26" Peace can be converted to 29 just don't think there's enough chainstay length. I have the Peace in 29, you missed that deal by a few years $400 delivered from Nashbar, would have been even less had Performance not bought them that added ~$25 tax. Super fun bike, wasn't sure I'd even use it off road much now it gets 3 lunch MTB rides a week just keep the tires aired up and go, saves punishment on the Rip9 for the weekends. I did change the gearing as it was a bit tall for around here.