Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!

2M views 7K replies 2K participants last post by  JJx 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#6,855 ·
My Pipedream Moxie. Finally got up the nerve to try singlespeed again. Cumberland BC isn't the most SS place, but doable. Don't laugh at my gearing, I'm old, fat, and lazy.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

#6,856 ·
M. Don't laugh at my gearing, I'm old, fat, and lazy.
I for one will not laugh. I tried to go for a short quick hour ride while kiddo napped today on the Pugsley. I choose the wrong trail, was really struggling with the 30/18, so I swapped over to the 22/22 ratio (I'm cheating with Dingle) and that was about perfect but I am stupidly weak to need to do that....

#6,864 ·
For a loooong time I've been riding a medium karate monkey because it felt like a giant BMX bike and I loved it. Did plenty of long rides on it but usually had some longish breaks mixed in, or at least more relaxed sections of riding. This year I wanted to try some lap-based endurance races instead of single loops, and found that I was much less comfortable on later laps because the bike was so short.

Briefly looked for another old KM frame but got tired of it, and kind of decided I wanted another boost bike anyway so I could share wheels between my two MTB's. So I sold my fatbike and everything I couldn't use off the KM so I could get this bad boy.

Its pretty nice. I don't know if I am going to sell the KM frame or not yet - it has some rust under the paint and I figure it doesn't pay to strip and repaint unless I am going to keep it. Maybe I can build it back up with some of those sunrise bars someday and really lean into the BMX feel.

#6,865 ·
Cannondale F-Si singlespeed

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle accessory Black Carbon Bicycle part Machine

Bicycle part Automotive tire Bicycle chain Bicycle accessory Rim

I had been sweeping the internet for a proper F-Si single-speed and had little success. Without a roadmap, I set out for the great unknown. Now that I'm at the tail end of this conversion, it has become clear why most people keep the bike geared. I hit a few bumps in the road, having to educate myself on BB30 vs PF30, finding out the B.B. shell is 83mm, pulling out a pefectly fine <500g crankset and replacing it with a 800g boat anchor to make room for the EBB :D

Anyways I'm still working out some bugs, getting ready to break into the XC racing again but single speed this time. I'm just putting this up here in case someone with an F-Si needs to see that this is possible, and to answer any questions. Cheers!

#6,878 ·
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

I still have no idea why MTBR absolutely insists that every photo I upload needs to be sideways.

Built this one from the frame up. Built my own wheels this time too.

Spot Rocker 27.5 Belt-drive

Onyx hubs F/R (boost) Laced to American Classic 34/38 rims

Fox Factory 32 (non step-cast)
Fox Factory Transfer Post 125mm (external)
E*Thirteen XCX crankset
Raceface Next bars 760mm with 35mm Clamp dia.
Raceface Turbine stem 35mm
Magura MT4 brakes
Gates belt drive 42x24 drivetrain
Chromag Lynx DT Saddle

#6,879 ·
View attachment 1236135

I still have no idea why MTBR absolutely insists that every photo I upload needs to be sideways.

Built this one from the frame up. Built my own wheels this time too.

Spot Rocker 27.5 Belt-drive

Onyx hubs F/R (boost) Laced to American Classic 34/38 rims

Fox Factory 32 (non step-cast)
Fox Factory Transfer Post 125mm (external)
E*Thirteen XCX crankset
Raceface Next bars 760mm with 35mm Clamp dia.
Raceface Turbine stem 35mm
Magura MT4 brakes
Gates belt drive 42x24 drivetrain
Chromag Lynx DT Saddle
Nice bike! Are you taking pics with an iphone? Only time I ever had issue was with one of those, had to start previewing on desktop and rotating before uploading

#6,880 ·
Just got my new SS built for the year. Coming from a large 08 KM and wanted something lighter. It ended up being like 23lbs 5oz when I was done with it. Waiting for some better weather to take it out. Dropped like 5lbs off my previous bike. Thinking about trying some lighter tires but we'll get there eventually

Specialized crave SL large
Fact carbon fork
SLX cranks
eBay chainring, 34t
eBay cog 20t
eBay carbon seatpost
Avenair carbon saddle
Bontrager carbon bars
Raceface Chester stem
Wtb i29 rims
DT Swiss comp spokes
BHS hubs
DHF 2.5wt
Ardent 2.4

Attachments

#6,883 ·
Marin Gravel/Dirt SS

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork

Realized I never posted this bad boy. Swapped an old All City Dropout for this Marin Nicasio SS last spring. Short rundown on the specs:

Frame & Fork: Marin 4130 Steel w/ Sliding Dropouts
Wheels: WTB Rims with SRAM Hubs w/ WTB Byway 650b Tires
Drivetrain: SRAM Apex Cranks w/ 39T Endless Odd 1 Chainring and 16T Surly Cog
Brakes: Promax Render R Brakes w/ Shimano Road Levers
Cockpit: Dajia Farbars w/ Shellacked Cotton Tape, Paul Boxcar Stem

Used it as a commuter this past summer and got into some gravel events with it in the fall. This bike eats up miles pretty comfortably if not always quickly. Great training/commuting bike in this format.

#6,885 ·
Haven't weighed it. But definitely dropped over a pound. The bike feels so lively now, especially in the back. Really scoots forward and pops off rocks. I Feel Trek should have made this thing an SS from the start(or at least offer an SS model). Also not running the stock wheels , running IBIS 938.

JP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.