Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!

2M views 7K replies 2K participants last post by  JJx 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#1,548 ·

18.5lbs as pictured. Full on race machine! Tough, too, as during a race this weekend I went down pretty hard at 17.9mph according to my Garmin. Stem got twisted around ~20 degrees, but nary a wobble in the front wheel. Then tonight a good size stick jumped off the trail and lodged in the rear wheel locking it up. It bent a spoke pretty good. Already accumulating battle scars. :thumbsup:

#1,550 ·
penny farthing and chapacubra

Played around and put an American Classic 29" Disc into an old Surly instigator fork.

F-ing love it. Bowls over anything and not missing the nasty, cheap, heavy Marzorcchi one bit. Climbs like you wouldn't beleive up twisty, rooty single track.

The poor "chapacubra" can't keep up any more and I love this thing so much i took it out twice today!

Now looking for a similar sized fork as the surly but with a bit more give and less weight.

Also have Noir Flat bar on order and just bought Ergon KORK grips.

Attachments

#1,551 ·
The Niner Carbon fork is very good, probably the best. But in your case, you might need less setback due to the fact that you are rocking the fork back and changing the steering angle. twentynineinches.com recently did a review of 29er rigid forks and you should probably read it for general info. Based on their review the OnOne carbon fork had very little set back and they did not like it as much as the Niner fork on a regular 29er (unless you wanted an all out twitchy race bike) but it might serve you well in this application.

#1,553 ·
Here's my Pereira

White Industries ENO Crank, 34T ring
Shimano UN72 BB
HBC 19T cog
Chris King ISO SS hubs (older version, with disc adapter)
Velocity Blunt rims
Paul Compact Love Levers + Avid BB7s
Thomson seatpost, stem
Syntace Vector Low Rider bar
ESI grips

Maxxis Aspens mounted on pic, but trying out a set of Stan's Ravens 29 x 2.2

#1,559 ·
yourdaguy said:
The Niner Carbon fork is very good, probably the best. But in your case, you might need less setback due to the fact that you are rocking the fork back and changing the steering angle. twentynineinches.com recently did a review of 29er rigid forks and you should probably read it for general info. Based on their review the OnOne carbon fork had very little set back and they did not like it as much as the Niner fork on a regular 29er (unless you wanted an all out twitchy race bike) but it might serve you well in this application.
by "set back" do you mean offset?
because offset is forward, away from the frame of the bike, not back, towards the frame.

the rake is only going to change if the new fork's longer (or shorter) then the old one.
the niner fork's 470mm is about the same as a 4" travel suspension fork.
your current rigid fork may or may not be about the same length, check the specs.
it's hard to argue that the extra quick handling is due to the extra rake or the simple fact that the niner fork is about a pound (or more) lighter than most steel rigid forks.
BUT if the niner fork's longer than your old one, then the extra offset works in your favour. (reduces the trail number, which would be higher with the increased rake due to the longer fork)

there's a couple people with the niner carbon forks on 26ers. (I'm one of them)

#1,560 ·
Yes I did mean offset. Offset and set back mean the same thing except in the biking world. The niner fork is equivalent to a 100 mm suspension fork sagged which (standard interpretation of 20-25% sag) would be 75--80mm suspension fork fully extended. Since he is going form a 26er front end to a 29er front end, it will raise the front end and actually change the angle of the steering tube (the frame will pivot around the back axle as you raise the front end). As you do this, you will actually change the angle of the head tube slightly as well as changing the trail. All of this will tend to slow handling. A fork with less "set back" will tend to quicken handling all things else being equal.

#1,566 ·
umarth said:
Nice. I'm working on a commuter meself and I hope mine comes together as well as yours.
Thanks Unmarth.

This bike has undergone many changes since I first put it together about 1 year ago.

Until recently, I was using a tensioner but found I was able to bypass the tensioner as the chain fits snuggly around.

I ride this bike to work where we have great bike facilities (secure cages, lockers, showers) but I'm now putting another SS MTB together using an old-scratched up Cro-Mo Diamond Back frame which I will be locking up at the train station / supermarket.

Good luck with your project!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.