Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!

2M views 7K replies 2K participants last post by  JJx 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#2,056 ·
i think the previous owner had problem using a smaller cog becuase the u-brakes are in the way of the chain. you can clear the brakes using a bigger chainring, if your cranks permit.

but if you are happy with that combo, just ignore my post.

#2,052 ·
Nice SIR9 there. I just bought a SIR9 frame that I plan to set up singlespeed. I'm still deciding on the details, though:
- Which fork -- rigid steel, carbon, or suspension (either with a lockout or terralogic)?
- Which crank -- I'm leaning toward the new XT M785. It looks nice, is stiff, relatively light, and the price is good. Middleburns are also nice -- great looks, lightweight, can go spiderless, but not as stiff as the XT cranks. Used XTR cranks are also an option.

G
#2,060 ·
@jabrabu
-i've only ever used it with the niner carbon fork, ridden a few 12hr races without too much discomfort, i am considering a lefty or new SID 29er thought
-i used the older xt crank on it and the xtr not noticed much difference only the weight, the middleburns would look awesome on it!

either way its a great bike, the ebb requires some setup but its fairly realiable

#2,063 ·
Most of the riders in my area go with a 32x20 on a 29er. We have a lot of short, steep climbs, and nothing high-speed (even the downhills are tight and twisty enough that you never get going really fast). A few really strong riders might put a 16 or 18 on the back, and I've seen a couple that went the other way and had a 22 on the back.

#2,097 ·
Enough of the boutique stuff, this thread needs more ghetto.

Here's my 90s Mongoose IBOC Zero G with backyard conversion and home made tensioner. Note the zip tie.

22.5 lbs, and more fun than a barrel full of monkeys on crack. Yeah, it's dirty, I just rode it.

This bike definitely HTFUs me. It's a killer climber, it "squirts" like no other (Short intense, out of the saddle bursts) . And, and descends surprisingly well as long as you keep her in her sweet spot.

Not gonna win any beauty contests, but I surprise many riders on it. As a mater of fact, it's cheapness just adds to it's coolness factor.

Attachments

#2,099 ·
Enough of the boutique stuff, this thread needs more ghetto.

Here's my 90s Mongoose IBOC Zero G with backyard conversion and home made tensioner. Note the zip tie.

22.5 lbs, and more fun than a barrel full of monkeys on crack. Yeah, it's dirty, I just rode it.

This bike definitely HTFUs me. It's a killer climber, it "squirts" like no other (Short intense, out of the saddle bursts) . And, and descends surprisingly well as long as you keep her in her sweet spot.

Not gonna win any beauty contests, but I surprise many riders on it. As a mater of fact, it's cheapness just adds to it's coolness factor.
+ 1 on this beast! love the simplicity, gets the job done.

#2,100 ·
2009 Xcal

Rigid and single. This was my first 29er and I just couldnt stand to see it stripped of all useful parts (all but seatpost, headset, and crank) when I built my Niner. It had a couple offers to sell the frame, but I couldnt let it go. I gave it new life with a Soul Cycles fork and the magic gear of 32x20-- which, coincidentally, is my preferred gear for around here. I need wider bars and wider rims, but the BWW built wheels are treating me well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.