Page 68 of 127 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,400 of 6348
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    I can hear the chain slap and rattle already! But I'm pretty sure that if I had a second mtb one of them would be geared for sure.
    but thats the beauty of a dinglespeed, in my case anyway - there is literally no difference as relates to chain slap as compared to a pure singlespeed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-p3070023.jpg  

mtbr member
    My On One Summer Season. Most fun bike I have ever ridden.The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-mtb-002.jpg
    This was set up as a 36/18 "magic gear". Recently switched to a 22 rear cog with a tensioner for a trip to virginia. Think It will settle it out with a 20 or so. Less of a wrestling match than the 18.
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    but thats the beauty of a dinglespeed, in my case anyway - there is literally no difference as relates to chain slap as compared to a pure singlespeed
    That hammerschmidt set up might have to be my next set up... sweet
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

Just Ride
    Been rockin this set up for about a week now. Finally remembered to take the camera with me this time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-copy-ss-convert-002.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-copy-ss-convert-004.jpg  

SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    you can actually run that sette pushing up. only uses one bolt, but it only needs one. im a fatty and ran my reken 32/14, and one bolt held it solid.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Here's my first entry to the world of singlespeed..

cool bike
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by jscusmcvet View Post
    That hammerschmidt set up might have to be my next set up... sweet
    thanks. the great thing is that you can sort of have the best of both worlds quite easily. for a girly man like me, the puss-out gear (i.e., low gear on hammerschmidt) is great to allow for seated climbing. and with the single speed rear hub out back, i have a milled down XT cassette (from jones) allowing me to put a 6-speed cassette on the King SS rear hub thus, making it a 12-speed which is incredibly perfect for all around riding
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc02599o.jpg  

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Mark Slate put out a second batch of frames, here's mine.

I've been riding a Singular Swift, which I like a lot. I've only got one ride on this one, but it felt nice. Fits real good. Handles nice. I moved most of my parts over from the Bianchi SOK I had which is why my 960 cranks are a little scuffed up.

Some build notes:
    hadley hubs w/dt swiss rev's laced to WTB hoops, tubeless
    Fox 100 rlc w/15mm axle (want a terralogic...)
    Shimano xt brakes 885's, I think
    enduro ceramic bb

and some crappy pictures.

Attachment 696652

Attachment 696653

Attachment 696654

Attachment 696655

I don't know what it weighs. I know that I could stand to lose a good 20lbs. so there's that...
    Love the Blackbucks!
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    you can actually run that sette pushing up. only uses one bolt, but it only needs one. im a fatty and ran my reken 32/14, and one bolt held it solid.
    I was wondering. Looks like a chainsaw blade the way its set up now. Which hole in the tensioner did you use at the derailleur hanger? The one that is already there, just take the skewer out and pivot it up or use the skewer hole at the derailleur?

I didn't think to use just one hole. As it is now I tried to push up but there wasn't enough adjustment using both. Pushing up would wrap more chain around the cog hence more efficient and less likely to slip. On the steeper climbs where I have to grind up em I notice the chain will skip occasionally. I thought it was the tensioner coming lose. Looking at the pic, it might just be because not enough of the chain is wrapped around the cog? Chain could be stretched to, I dunno, but if that was the case I'd imagine I'd experience far more skipping.

Low Rep Count
    Cormac,
    It looks like you can maybe take a link or two out of the chain to start with as that will take some of the slack out right there.

the way the tensioner looks, I would think you could simply flip the chain to the top side of the pulley then loosen the silver screw, slide the tensioner up towards the chainstay and then tighten it back down. That should allow for a better wrap around the cog as well as take the slack out of the chain.

As far as it skipping, that is exactly what the issue is. I had this problem when I first tried a conversion kit with the pulley pushing down on the chain. As a result, there was less chain in contact with the cog and when you have to really get on it and grind it out, the frame actually flexes. Add in a few bumps here and there and the chain is just naturally going to skip.

I think you are headed in the right direction and you seem to have a good idea of what will make this work better for you.

mtbr member

New one...

Soma Juice just finished a week ago...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-1.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-2.jpg  

Just Ride
    Cormac,
    It looks like you can maybe take a link or two out of the chain to start with as that will take some of the slack out right there.

the way the tensioner looks, I would think you could simply flip the chain to the top side of the pulley then loosen the silver screw, slide the tensioner up towards the chainstay and then tighten it back down. That should allow for a better wrap around the cog as well as take the slack out of the chain.

As far as it skipping, that is exactly what the issue is. I had this problem when I first tried a conversion kit with the pulley pushing down on the chain. As a result, there was less chain in contact with the cog and when you have to really get on it and grind it out, the frame actually flexes. Add in a few bumps here and there and the chain is just naturally going to skip.

I think you are headed in the right direction and you seem to have a good idea of what will make this work better for you.
    My chain is about a half link to short if I cut it to be tight. So I've added a half link to my ever growing amazon order that I have yet to place. As it sits using the tensioner to push up doesn't take up enough slack, it's still pretty loose. The bolt on the tensioner wheel actually hits my chainstay. So I'll have to deal with it as is for now until I get a half link, then I can take out a full link and throw the half link in and have the perfect length. At least for the 18t.

I could put my 16t on, remove a full link and it should be perfect. Maybe I should have a few chains? One for my 18t, one for 16 also one for 20 and 14t when they come in. There is a variety of trails around here all of which justify the different tooth count. What's a good way to store chains? I think I read somewhere on here you could use transmission fluid?

Low Rep Count
    Well that is a pita! Sorry to hear about the chain drama. I have been fortunate I guess to have sliding dropouts on my frames but I have run into the issue of my chain being too long if I wanted to go to my 16t fw in the past. I too have a couple of 1/2 links on hand in the event I run into a problem. Definitely worth having. But judging by the above posted picture it really looks like pulling one link out would still leave enough slack for the tensioner to do its job. But those are just pictures and I am sure you have tinkered around with it enough to know.

If you are going to stick with a tensioner then you probably don't need separate chains for every gear set up. I mean the tensioner should be able to absorb some of that for you.

I know you have a growing Amazon list but I think the tensioner that I heard the most good reviews about is the Yes one as well as alot of praise for the Surly. Both can be used to push the chain up rather than down.

As far as storing chains. Well I just happen to have a couple of 10spd chains from my road bike days that I can't seem to part with even though I no longer have an official road bike let alone one with Campy 10 spd on it. None the less, both chains were cleaned up after swapping bikes to one that had SRAM red on it. I cleaned the chains with chain cleaner and then used the air compressor to dry them off for the most part. I then let them hang over night to finish drying. The next day I simply lubed them up like I normally would with a quality chain lube and then stuck them in zip lock bags. They have now been in those bags for almost 2 years and they still look like brand new chains! Unfortunately they don't fit the drive train on my SS or I would have used them years ago.

Just Ride
    I'm gonna be headed to the LBS in a little while. I'll see what kind of tensioners they have, if any. Also pick up a few half links. I need to get a chain whip to even change the cogs. May as well pick up the overpriced park one. At least I know it'll last unlike the cheap one I did have on my growing order. Figure I'll use it enough to justify the price.

I am stuck with the tensioner for now at least. I don't know when I'll be able to pick up a SS frame, probably not till next year sometime so in the meantime this is what I have to work with. And when I do I'll need to also get a new stem and fork since currently it's a 1.5" steerer. Damn cannondale and their uniqueness. The 1.5" head tube is one thing I liked about the bike. Nice beefy look to it, but now it's a hindrance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirby10 View Post
    Damn, that thing looks nice. Love the color and the way the seat makes it pop out. Bet it climbs like a goat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TreksterFueleX View Post
    Damn, that thing looks nice. Love the color and the way the seat makes it pop out. Bet it climbs like a goat.
    Thanks. It climbs well for my old butt but I am in the market for a squishy fork since rigid is a bit rough on my abused shoulders...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here my Vicious Cycles Metal Guru, fairly sure I've not posted it before.

I love this bike, set up is a Pauls rear hub with a NC-17 tensioner, working flawlessly. I've a few upgrades planned namely brakes and tyres but apart from that its perfect

Pedal Over It
    Nice! Like the color scheme a lot.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” - Plato

Redbird1998
    Mar 2008
    Are you having any problems with the headset creaking? I've some posts about this problem. I'm strongly considering this build but don't want any issues.

Bicycle Addict
    Give me your bike!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Just Ride
    Fixed! Maybe...pending a test ride. It looks good, but I dunno if just one bolt will hold it tight enough. I now have about 2 - 3 more teeth in the chain than I had before. Assuming the tension stays right it should be virtually slip proof. Had to put the 16t on to get the right chain length. Until I get a half link sometime in the next couple weeks when I place that order...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-copy-ss-converted-fixed-002.jpg  

Low Rep Count
    Hmmmmm, not sure if it will hold either. I know the Surly one actually has a spring to it that once you have it configured in push up or down mode (you have to take it apart and flip some pieces around) keeps the tension on the chain rather than what appears to be fixed with yours and one bolt.

mtbr member
    Heres my freshly converted single

Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

Just Ride
    Hmmmmm, not sure if it will hold either. I know the Surly one actually has a spring to it that once you have it configured in push up or down mode (you have to take it apart and flip some pieces around) keeps the tension on the chain rather than what appears to be fixed with yours and one bolt.
    Tested on an 8 mile ride and it holds. Was a little loose at the end. I'm gonna throw a lock washer under the bolt to help hold it tight, but as it was the chain was still tight enough that it wasn't sloppy!

Master of the Obvious
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    His and hers...

mtbr member
    beautiful bikes!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    It's a lousy cell phone pic I took on the first ride after I got it. But I just scooped up this '05 Kona. It's going to be my '08's best friend (or possibly worst enemy as they fight for seat time).

--NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

Attack Position

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

mtbr member
    Hello This is my updated Singlespeed. It's very fun to ride and jump ...

mtbr member
    Two new SS in the family. My son got a new bike which spurred my desire for one as well.
    My first mountain bike purchased in 1993 was in need of a new BB. That lead to a whole crankset. Still running original derailer. Waiting for Surly Singleator to arrive.
    What fun! MY Motobecane may follow suit, or just may have to build another bike with a modern frame. Thanks for all the inspiration on this forum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_3028-001.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_3041-001.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_3036-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE

SE Racing Stout. Slightly modified

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

What travel is the fork and if it's over 100mm, how does it ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What frame is this? very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstStateCamber View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It's a Marzocchi 44 micro ti reduced down to 100mm. Great fork. It rides better with a 80 mil steel or carbon fork. But if I would have know how those felt I would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    [QUOTE

SE Racing Stout. Slightly modified

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    What travel is the fork and if it's over 100mm, how does it ride?[/QUOTE]

MTB NOLA
    new pics of my Lynskey..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc03271.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc03272.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc03275.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc03278.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc03273.jpg  

Last edited by vudu; 05-24-2012 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A little bit of a better pic of my raw Inbred.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My Ari...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-php4sljkpam.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vudu View Post
    new pics of my Lynskey..
    27.5 rear ?

MTB NOLA
    as of now 26" rear, 27.5" front.. i will be building up a complete 650b wheelset in the next few weeks..

Dive Bomber
    Quote Originally Posted by gmmeyerIII View Post
    Two new SS in the family. My son got a new bike which spurred my desire for one as well.
    My first mountain bike purchased in 1993 was in need of a new BB. That lead to a whole crankset. Still running original derailer. Waiting for Surly Singleator to arrive.
    What fun! MY Motobecane may follow suit, or just may have to build another bike with a modern frame. Thanks for all the inspiration on this forum!
    So I guess Deore chain line and Q-factor is the same everywhere.
    I wish I can get narrow Q-factor but stuck with the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Still waiting on my HBC spiderless ring for my xtr m950s and my red ashima rotors.

If you're wondering, I'm missing two fingers on my right hand...thus, a dual pull lever.

Sent from my Evo3D using my thumbs
    Last edited by the5ifty; 05-27-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    '09 Jamis Dragon One "one gear, one brake lever, lots of carbon and steel."

MYSINGLESPEED.COM

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Operator error...double post

Sent from my Evo3D using my thumbs

MYSINGLESPEED.COM

banned
    Jun 2007
    Major props for still riding!
    How does the dbl pull lever get balanced f --> r?

...telepathy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Updated one9. Moved to xt brakes and a standard niner chainring. The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1338176559.277040.jpg

Master of the Obvious

Awesome kickstand!
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Major props for still riding!
    How does the dbl pull lever get balanced f --> r?

...telepathy
    Well 2 years ago when it happened, I rode fixed for a while...fun bit not efficient for racing so I found this lever. I started with an even distribution f and r, but if I was breaking at all going into a corner I would wash out, so now I have it set to lock in the back and slow in the front.

And the prb is post ride recovery. It goes perfect with my garage sale purchase on the way home from the trail yesterday. $50!

Sent from my EVO 3D using my thumbs

MYSINGLESPEED.COM

Stateline Falls, Watauga

New Lynskey build

Mine.

20.8 lbs as pictured. This was my 50th birthday present to myself, and the last bike I will ever buy (shhh... that's what I'm telling my wife).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc_0172_edit_resize.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc_0173_resize.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc_0174_resize.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc_0175_resize.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc_0176_resize.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc_0177_resize.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc_0178_resize.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc_0181_resize.jpg  

It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

rebmem rbtm

Sunrise

Sun coming up behind black mountain with the heavy marine layer to the west
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_6390c.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Must stop myself collecting photos of bikes posted here...