Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,200 of 6603
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not a great pic, but built up this Breezer Thunder One frame a couple of months ago for just under $1000.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151029_181912.jpg
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Not a great pic, but built up this Breezer Thunder One frame a couple of months ago for just under $1000.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151029_181912.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	1025267
    How do you like it? How's the weight? What size is that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    How do you like it? How's the weight? What size is that?
    I like it. I ran across the frame on Price Point for $249 and could not resist. I have not been able to put many miles on it due to some life stuff that has come up lately but it is a fun ride, short rear stays so it is nimble. I have not weighed it yet but I will and report back. As for the size it is a 17 inch (Breezer calls that a small).
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    I like it. I ran across the frame on Price Point for $249 and could not resist. I have not been able to put many miles on it due to some life stuff that has come up lately but it is a fun ride, short rear stays so it is nimble. I have not weighed it yet but I will and report back. As for the size it is a 17 inch (Breezer calls that a small).
    Thanks. I appreciate it. I've been eyeballing those. How's the ebb - easy to set up - seem reliable/durable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate it. I've been eyeballing those. How's the ebb - easy to set up - seem reliable/durable?
    The ebb was a selling point for me. Super easy to setup. Just get a pin spanner (think I paint like $9 for a Park one) and then just rotate the ebb to tension the chain. It took 2 seconds to set it up.

Just wish the bottle cage mount was lower on the downtube so that I could fit a tall bottle in the cage.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Finally have a bike worth posting.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_0358.jpg
    Salsa El Mariachi with a Whisky fork, ZTR ArchEX wheels, Thomson bar, stem, and post.

squish, squish in da fish
    nice 1st "worthy" bike. is it your1st rigid/ss?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    2nd. First was a low-end clunker with a few carbon upgrades that I rode into the ground. I haven't ridden this on the trails yet, but just tooling around I can feel the difference.

mtbr member
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-uploadfromtaptalk1446386885036.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Totxo by Cyclobicycles

After some time riding a MCR with a chain tensiones I ordered a custom steel frame by Cyclobicycles from Catalonia.
    Columbus life and zona with some Paragon bits. Filled bracet. Niner carbon fork painted to match.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-foto-1-2-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-foto-1-4-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-foto-3-3-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-foto-2-1-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-foto-3-2-.jpg

SSlow rider
    That's a pretty bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks !

mtbr member
    I just picked this up used. It has only been on the road. Just a stock bike I know. The price was right though.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151106_163113-1_zpsdiune2ec.jpg

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151106_163103-1_zpsn36ws2qr.jpg

mtbr member
    Love that paint job. Wish they'd gone full "gulf oil" with a bit more orange, but it still looks really sharp.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporter View Post
    After some time riding a MCR with a chain tensiones I ordered a custom steel frame by Cyclobicycles from Catalonia.
    Columbus life and zona with some Paragon bits. Filled bracet. Niner carbon fork painted to match.

Name:	foto 1(2).jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	1027611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foto 1(4).jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	1027612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foto 3(3).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1027617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foto 2(1).jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1027615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foto 3(2).jpg 
Views:	2004 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	1027616
    Wow!!! That is one fine piece of art. I'm sure it rides as well as it looks!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks. Geo is copied from my X-RSL but 10 mm shorter chainstays. Very happy with the result and yes, it looks so nice!

mtbr member

Pure butter

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Carbon Steel and Carbon Ti

Passion for single speed

GT3 Touring => Steel Rigid Carbon

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-imag.jpg

RSR => Ti Rigid Carbon

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151121_141838-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

S.E. Draft Gravel Racer

Here's my 2015 S.E. Draft coaster brake gravel racer. We have a coaster brake only class at several gravel races here in Kansas. When the class started there was a 500 dollar claiming rule that has since been cancelled. This bike was built for under 500. Just! I've put over 2000 miles on it so far this year with no problems. It handles great on dirt/gravel roads. I also change the tires and gearing on it and train on rec paths and the road. It's not light but it gets the job done! I've very much enjoyed riding/racing it this last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-if1.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-if.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here's my new chumba Ursa. I just got back from a trip up to Arkansas and I couldn't be happier.

IMG_6077 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    #reporter

Nice bike.
    Steel+rigid niner fork is a very nice ride

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Hey mods, not sure how this double post got here, but it can be deleted!

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Soma Juice 29er:

This is my adventure bike. Itís a new addition to my stable, replacing my Karate Monkey as a bikepacking/off-road touring machine. The frame is a beautiful Tange Prestige steel with sliding Paragon-style dropouts, with a Surly Krampus front fork and Easton Arc wheels. Right now, itís set up with a 29+ front tire and a singlespeed drivetrain, though, I expect lots of little evolutions in the future.

• Frame: Soma Juice 29er, Large
    • Fork: Surly Krampus 100mm Suspension-Corrected, with bosses
    • Crankset: SRAM X9 GXP w/ North Shore Billet 104bcd Spider
    • Chainring: Surly Stainless Steel 32T
    • Rear Cog: Chris King Stainless Steel Cog, 18T w/ Surly Freehub Spacers
    • Chain: Whipperman ConneX 7R8 3/32 7-speed Bushing-style Chain
    • Pedals: VP Harrier Flat Pedals
    • Hubs: Shimano XT, 32H, High Flange 6-Bolt Disc (135mm rear)
    • Rims: Easton Arc 30mm Internal Width, Stanís Tubeless Tape/Valves
    • Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Rear, Vee Trax Fatty 2.8 Front
    • Stem: Salsa Guide Stem
    • Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    • Seat: WTB Pure-V
    • Handlebars: Jones Loop H-Bar, 710mm Width
    • Grips: ESI Chunky, Custom Length
    • Brakes: Avid BB7 Mtn Disc, Jagwire Compressionless Housing
    • Levers: Avid

More pics and component choice info here, at my site! MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclechet View Post
    Here's my 2015 S.E. Draft coaster brake gravel racer. We have a coaster brake only class at several gravel races here in Kansas. When the class started there was a 500 dollar claiming rule that has since been cancelled. This bike was built for under 500. Just! I've put over 2000 miles on it so far this year with no problems. It handles great on dirt/gravel roads. I also change the tires and gearing on it and train on rec paths and the road. It's not light but it gets the job done! I've very much enjoyed riding/racing it this last year.
    Woodchipper, or something else? Never seen them without levers, so it's a little strange.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Woodchipper, or something else? Never seen them without levers, so it's a little strange.
    Yes, Wood Chipper Bars, Salsa stem, Ritchie seat post, and various saddles and handlebar tape. The original rules of the Crazy Coaster class said coaster brake only but has since been updated to allow a front brake also.

wmb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    mdilthey, nice build. Can you comment on the differences in handling between this and the KM. I have always been interested in the Juice. how is clearance in the back with the 2.4 Ardent?
    Thanks, MikeB

EXORCIZE
    mdeilthey, can you also comment on the 2.8/2.4 tire combo? I'm running Ardent 2.4 f/r, and am craving a larger front tire, but fear the combo won't jive quite right. I've often run a little bigger front tire than rear, but never a more than a .2" difference. Thanks.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    mdeilthey, can you also comment on the 2.8/2.4 tire combo? I'm running Ardent 2.4 f/r, and am craving a larger front tire, but fear the combo won't jive quite right. I've often run a little bigger front tire than rear, but never a more than a .2" difference. Thanks.
    Oh wait, if I had bothered to first read the link you included, I'd know that you already answered my question:

The 29+ tire in the front paired with the biggest rubber I can fit in the back is magic. I am much more confident on jumps and rough sections, I never lose traction, and Iíve noticed no difference in rolling resistance. If anything, the rounded profile of the Trax Fatty makes it feel faster than my old 2.35ís. The two tires donít even look too different in terms of diameter, so I donít think itís affecting my handling at all.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by wmb View Post
    mdilthey, nice build. Can you comment on the differences in handling between this and the KM. I have always been interested in the Juice. how is clearance in the back with the 2.4 Ardent?
    Thanks, MikeB
    Thank you. Lots of info in my blog post: Link Here

I haven't got a billion miles under my belt to make a categorical assessment. Also, anything I say will be slightly skewed as my dimensions are slightly between sizes on a KM. A Large is just a bit too big, and a medium is just a hair too small.

So, just for reference, I was on a Large KM, and I'm on a Large Juice, but those frames are not the same size. I knew this, I still chose the Large juice, which shrunk almost every measurement, especially top tube length.

Here's what I notice:

1. The significantly shorter reach on the Juice makes for a very different riding experience. You have to get over the back tire somehow. I'm using a setback seatpost, and this means my bottom bracket is slightly forwards compared to the KM, which had a zero setback seatpost.

So, this means I am definitely out of the saddle during a climb, because I need to get my weight over the pedals. On the KM, I could usually hang out in the saddle while climbing. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. Jeff Jones actually likes a more forward BB, for what it's worth. he says the old rule about having your knees over the center of the crankset is antiquated, and there's actually more going on that affect fit.

2. The handling feels much more refined. Since the front end isn't as far out on the Juice, it feels easier to "huck" the bike over roots and curbs. I can get a little more lift out of it with a little less effort. It's nice. I feel like a better rider.

3. Hard to explain, but the Juice, to me, feels like I'm riding inside the bike rather than over it. Maybe it's the really short top tube?

4. KM is definitely the stronger bike. I am not a big guy (6'0", 158lbs) so I am fine on the Juice, but one look at the welds, tube diameters, weight, etc. tells you the KM is the stronger bike. It's ultra-durable, I couldn't even put a dent in it through a year of abuse. Stiffness between the two frames feels about equal, but the Juice has a smaller triangle than the KM and a much, much longer seat tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Dude I would have to say that the water bottle on the fork leg (1 side no less) is ridiculous. Water is 8 pounds a gallon so you got about 2 pounds hanging off the side which HAS to adversely affect the handling. Maybe that works for fire roadies but where I ride it would suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
    Dude I would have to say that the water bottle on the fork leg (1 side no less) is ridiculous. Water is 8 pounds a gallon so you got about 2 pounds hanging off the side which HAS to adversely affect the handling. Maybe that works for fire roadies but where I ride it would suck.

It HAS to?

mtbr member

No worse than a case of beer hanging on the left handle grip.

MaxTheCyclist.com

It's empty. I bring it to the shop after my ride for a drink.

rebmem rbtm
    He did say it was an adventure bike. Probably gets some balance from putting another bottle on the other fork leg. Anyway once it has his frame bag(s), sleeping bag, food, clothes, sunblock, spork, cup, camp sandals, camp light, gps, 4+ liters of water, bear spray, shovel to bury his morning business and extra phone battery so he can answer your post from the wilderness while having a good time on his bike, he probably isn't worried about the handling detriment of that bottle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here's my baby, Mint Doom. My first MTB that doesn't have to do anything else. Have it set up with a Vee Fat B Nimble 27.5x3.5 in the front and a WTB Trailblazer 27.5x2.8 in the rear. I gave up SSing when I moved from Iowa to Utah, but this bike re-changed my mind.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-12182470_10156157019375317_1583447116144133923_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just built up a new Vassago Optimus Ti. Rock Shock Sid fork, Shimano XT crank, Absolute Black 34t oval, surly 19 cog, Light Bike carbon rims on I-9 hubs, Erikson titanium post, Thomson stem and Fizik saddle.
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151209_152834test.jpg
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151209_152949t.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    @mdilthey:

Nice bike, enjoyed the blog post and your thoughts about fitment. I think fore/aft balance is really important if you're riding rigid. The old idea of getting your hands out over the front axle is just not gonna work.

Jones bars are just brilliant. We need to introduce the notion of "effective stem length." Going with a longer stem can increase either the reach, or the bar width, depending on your hand placement.

In your case, if you wanted the same hand placement with flat bars, you'd need like a 40mm stem. Got a nickel says this is why the bike feels so good to you. That, and I just think the Juice nails it in terms of geometry and materials. If I knew then what I know now, I woulda got that frame in a minute.

Dunno about the big tire on the narrow rim. I haven't had much success running low pressures on narrow rims, too much drag. Pump it up and you lose the advantage of the big tire. Have you tried that Ardent up front? Make any difference?

This is an elegant build. Pairing that frame with the Krampus fork was brilliant. Just a great build imo.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    @mdilthey:

Nice bike, enjoyed the blog post and your thoughts about fitment. I think fore/aft balance is really important if you're riding rigid. The old idea of getting your hands out over the front axle is just not gonna work.

Jones bars are just brilliant. We need to introduce the notion of "effective stem length." Going with a longer stem can increase either the reach, or the bar width, depending on your hand placement.

In your case, if you wanted the same hand placement with flat bars, you'd need like a 40mm stem. Got a nickel says this is why the bike feels so good to you. That, and I just think the Juice nails it in terms of geometry and materials. If I knew then what I know now, I woulda got that frame in a minute.

Dunno about the big tire on the narrow rim. I haven't had much success running low pressures on narrow rims, too much drag. Pump it up and you lose the advantage of the big tire. Have you tried that Ardent up front? Make any difference?

This is an elegant build. Pairing that frame with the Krampus fork was brilliant. Just a great build imo.
    Thanks man, I really appreciate that. I got the 30mm rims so that I'd have the option of running 29+ or a traditional 2.2-2.4 tire. Running the front at or just below 20 PSI, it's noticeably more grippy than a 3.35 or 3.4 front tire, which I ran for about the last year (mostly High Roller II). I haven't tried the Ardent in the front.

It's definitely not ideal, but for the flexibility provided, the Vee Trax Fatty is a good choice. The high thread count means low weight, so it's basically a slightly oversized 29er tire. I could run another Maxxis Ardent up front... but there's no reason to, since the Trax Fatty isn't a weight penalty, a rolling resistance penalty, or a traction penalty. It's a good tire for this kind of 29+/29 setup.

As for the geometry, yes. it just keeps feeling better and better. It's going to be hard to build the "next" bike, because I don't know if I'll ever strike gold this nice again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynchonite View Post
    Here's my baby, Mint Doom. My first MTB that doesn't have to do anything else. Have it set up with a Vee Fat B Nimble 27.5x3.5 in the front and a WTB Trailblazer 27.5x2.8 in the rear. I gave up SSing when I moved from Iowa to Utah, but this bike re-changed my mind.

Name:	12182470_10156157019375317_1583447116144133923_o.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	1034765
    This is a setup I've been thinking a lot about lately. Can you post some pictures of front/rear tire clearance?
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynchonite View Post
    Here's my baby, Mint Doom.

Name:	12182470_10156157019375317_1583447116144133923_o.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	1034765
    Fresh breath indeed.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member

Pantani Commemorative Ride

Ventana El Comandante on Pantani Commemorative Ride.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-fullsizerender.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Sawyer re-do

posted over in the 29er forum, but am so psyched on how it came out figured I would post here too. Rebuilt 2011 Sawyer. Complete re-do from bare frame up. The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-sawyer-redo.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    This is a setup I've been thinking a lot about lately. Can you post some pictures of front/rear tire clearance?
    You could probably fit a 29+ on the front. In the rear, the pictured tire is actually a Spesh Ground Control 3", but the clearance was way too tight on that (it rubbed the frame a bit when I was really grinding). I did have a Fat B Nimble on the rear for a long time, and it fit just fine (maybe 3-4 mm on either side) and gripped like crazy, but it wasn't very durable and I figured I'd try something new.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151213_214947.jpg

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151213_213754.jpg

mtbr member
    New wheelset for my SS. Onyx hubs, Nox rims, and Sapim spokes. Nothing wrong with my current wheels, but I was tired of the loud buzzing. Doesn't bother me on other bikes, but just takes away from enjoying the ride on a rigid ss.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151216_062410.jpg  

mtbr member
    Those Onyx hubs are ridiculous, beautiful looking wheel.

mtbr member

Finally single speeding again.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dsc08490.jpg
    Traded off my road bike to be on a single speed again. Really impressed with the stock build. Looking forward to getting some ride time in thanks to El Nino.

mtbr member
    Finished up converting my cx to ss last night. Brake rotor is pending the arrival of a centerlock to 6-bolt conversion thingy.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_2775_zpsfi6dlrji.jpg
    Signature

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Is it just me or does that look like an insanely tall gear? I ride 34x18 on 29er wheel by the end of the year and nobody I know rides much taller. This looks like 38x15 or something.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    It is 42x17. This cx bike is mostly used for pavement, dirt/gravel/sand doubletrack, and some singletrack without any significant elevation change.
    Signature

mtbr member
    New onyx hubs are amazing. Bike is totally silent now except for the noise from the tires. Will have to get a better picture later. This one doesn't really do the colors of the hubs or nips justice.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151217_172902.jpg

mtbr member

Ventana El Commandante above Beeks Bight Granite Bay CA

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-fullsizerender-2-.jpg
    Last edited by patski; 12-22-2015 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Here are my updated Vassago's

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20150924_125830%7E2.jpg

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20151217_093702%7E2.jpg
    Chumba Stella
    King Cielo- For Sale
    Vassago VerHauen-For Sale
    Kestrel Legend SL
    Soma Rush

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

2009 GT Avalanche

Enviado do meu SM-G531F atravťs de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

2009 Gt Avalanche

Enviado do meu SM-G531F atravťs de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Double post.
    Last edited by Duarte; 01-02-2016 at 01:50 PM. Reason: doble post

mtbr member

Lake Natoma Folsom CA

Ventana El Commandante

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-fullsizerender-4-.jpg

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-fullsizerender-3-.jpg
    Last edited by patski; 12-22-2015 at 03:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Cool bike

mtbr member
    I've been thinking/lusting about a Ti SS since last spring and had my eye on a Carver 420 or Gnarvester. I've been slowly collecting parts for a couple months and the final part arrived today...a 420 frame.

I was mainly looking for a bombproof bike that is also raceable but wouldn't completely break the bank (it still did!). These are the highlights of what I settled on:

• XTR M9020 wheels, crankset + BB, and brakes
    • Thomson dropper post, stem, and carbon riser bar
    • 120mm Fox Float CTD with lockout

I was quite indecisive about the 120mm and the dropper post. My original idea was throwing on the stupid lightweight RS World Cup fork of some variety but I couldn't justify the cost then I found a steal on the Float and a 20% off sale on the dropper post. And if I want to drop almost 4 pounds for race day I have a Niner RDO carbon fork as well as lightweight saddle and seatpost from another bike. Best of both worlds.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-bike.jpg

The bad news: all my favorite trails are under feet of snow. I won't be riding it any time soon.

mtbr member
    Beauty build and frame, I know I've got 2 of them....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_3684.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_3687.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_3690.jpg

Time to give single speed a try and see what all the fuss is about.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at that same frame!

What is the weight of that build?
    Chumba Stella
    King Cielo- For Sale
    Kestrel Legend SL
    Soma Rush

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    I'm looking at that same frame!

What is the weight of that build?
    23.55 with Enve M60 and 2.35 Icon Rear and 2.4 Ardent Front

Could save a bit of weight with a lighter tire set up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Surly 1x1 - Large Frame - Pike 100-140 - Profile Cranks 28x14

Cliff Side Ride

Ready to Ride

Next one isn't mine but it is cool.

Always Learning

KM - Stretch Panks Black...

Size XL 2012 Stretch Panks Black Karate Monkey providing plenty of fun in 2015...

mtbr member
    Just finished building my fixed Inbred... Waiting on new brakes for the Stache then I'm going to swap its current front brake over to this.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151226_143033.jpg
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151226_143018.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151226_143124.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151226_143117.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20151226_143104.jpg  

mtbr member
    Stupid sideways pictures...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I had Santa Build me a new 2016 Kona Big Unit. Now I just need all this snow to melt!
    Large 2016 Big Unit, Sun Ringle Black Flag wheelset, 120mm Rockshox gold, Race Face Crank, Intense post and bars. Weighs in at 23 lbs.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-imag0796.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-imag0797.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My new rig

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-sir9.jpg

My SIR 9 I just finished building frame up. 21.5 lbs
    Chris King ISO hubs on Velocity Blunt SS rims
    Chris King headset
    Raceface Next SL cranks (32/17)
    KMC X10SL DLC in red/black
    Loaded post/stem
    Hope Race X2 brakes
    2016 SID RCT3 100mm

So much fun! First steel frame, love the ride. Last bike was a 2009 One 9 scandium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TG-CO View Post
    I had Santa Build me a new 2016 Kona Big Unit. Now I just need all this snow to melt!
    Large 2016 Big Unit, Sun Ringle Black Flag wheelset, 120mm Rockshox gold, Race Face Crank, Intense post and bars. Weighs in at 23 lbs.

Name:	IMAG0796.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	1038492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0797.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	1038493
    Curious about the frame, is it a PF or threaded BB? And is the rear dropouts 135qr or 142 thru axle? Tire clearance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Threaded BB, rear sliding dropout is 142 thru axle, tire clearance is great. I will put a 2.3 or 2.4 on the back after I run down these tires. Its got 2.2 small block eights on it right now.
    I spec'd a "budget build" on this bike for starters, Santa only had around 1500 bucks to spend.
    Cheers!
    My favorite thing about this frame, besides the kick butt trail geometry of course, is the chrome like finish of the KONA on the bottom tube. Mmmmm shiny

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    What size is it? I have no frame of reference on weight without size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Small frame. Didn't weigh before I started building (wasn't thinking). Claimed weight from Niner is 4.4 lbs for the small SIR 9. Wheels aren't the lightest either at 1700g (minus tires).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by costaorange View Post
    23.55 with Enve M60 and 2.35 Icon Rear and 2.4 Ardent Front

Could save a bit of weight with a lighter tire set up.
    I picked up my Stella from Chumba near Austin on new years day. I'm going to do a detailed build thread as soon as I get all the parts.
    Chumba Stella
    King Cielo- For Sale
    Kestrel Legend SL
    Soma Rush

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I picked up my Stella from Chumba near Austin on new years day. I'm going to do a detailed build thread as soon as I get all the parts.
    I ended up switching to a different set of wheels tires from different bike. I have Carbon Ibis 928's with DT350's and Icon 2.2 rear and 2.35 rear and it comes in at 22.8 lbs. Also upgraded to the Ti slider bolts from paragon for reliability more than weight though it did save a few grams.

Really like the bike a lot! The quality is very good and the customer service was top notch. Been out multiple times and looking to drop down to a 19 in the rear. 32-20 was a little too soft, but still a good start into the single speed arena.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_3697.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just picked up this 2007 Bianchi Rita maybe 2 weeks ago to try something different. Im in love! The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_1281-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Bored today. Here is the cx finally completed with a new cr, chain, etc. Absolute blast on relatively flat single track.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_2821_zpsnqjmz3fg.jpg
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_2822_zpswvztx64i.jpg
    Signature

mtbr member
    Here i s an updated version of my Chris King Cielo set up rigid with a few mostly cosmetic changes. She comes in at 18.36 pounds. Not bad for steel frame bike with King Hubs and a heavy for carbon rigid fork!

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20160110_210927%7E2.jpg

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20160110_211336%7E2.jpg
    Chumba Stella
    King Cielo- For Sale
    Kestrel Legend SL
    Soma Rush

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Reverse Mullet.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_8155.jpg

Maxxis Chronicle on a Rabbit Hole up front.
    Maxxis Ikon 2.35 on a Velocity P35 out back.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Nice! I ordered a 2015 frame on sale from them.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    At risk is sounding like a shill they are an amazing group of guys!

The new owners at Chumba have really turned around the culture of company. The owner of Chumba met on New Years day at the shop (they were closed for the holidays) to pick up my frame. While I was there he showed me around. I got to see a frame in the middle of being welded up!

He let me ride a few of the bikes and offered to let me and the guys from our bike shop come demo all there Bikes at Pace Bend park near Austin Texas.

I wish them the same success the new owners of Vassago have had when they turned around there business.

I'll have a build thread with pics of my Chumba as soon as the final few parts come in.
    Chumba Stella
    King Cielo- For Sale
    Kestrel Legend SL
    Soma Rush

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No MTB'ing in the SC Lowcountry. Last summer my Monocog became a commuter, and I converted from 26" to 29" wheels.
    I wasn't going to futz around with the V-brakes...
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20150828_125732101%5B1%5D.jpg
    Mocking up...
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20150828_130042149_hdr%5B1%5D.jpg
    Tig'd.
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20150828_165502595%5B1%5D.jpg
    Finished.
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20150828_183409631%5B2%5D.jpg
    Heavy and slow, just like me
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20150831_011037024%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    ^How do you like the spyre? I may at some point swap out the bb7s for the spyke, but they're spendy. I'm also curious about the Rever mtn1 dual piston mech too, but I'm hesitant to put all that extra stuff in the box into the parts bin. I'm trying to clear it out, not add to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingervitis View Post

Name:	SIR9.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	1038650

My SIR 9 I just finished building frame up. 21.5 lbs
    Chris King ISO hubs on Velocity Blunt SS rims
    Chris King headset
    Raceface Next SL cranks (32/17)
    KMC X10SL DLC in red/black
    Loaded post/stem
    Hope Race X2 brakes
    2016 SID RCT3 100mm

So much fun! First steel frame, love the ride. Last bike was a 2009 One 9 scandium
    I like it! Looks like a big bmx bike! Nice!....Just a quick word of caution regarding the SS rims. I ran one on the front last year and had a Geax Saguaro blow off the rim twice. Once in my hand! Then mounted a Vittoria Barzo and it blew off the rim as well. As you probably know, Geax and Vittoria are the same brand. Not sure why but they don't seem to mesh well with those rims. No problems with any other brand of tires though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    ^How do you like the spyre? I may at some point swap out the bb7s for the spyke, but they're spendy. I'm also curious about the Rever mtn1 dual piston mech too, but I'm hesitant to put all that extra stuff in the box into the parts bin. I'm trying to clear it out, not add to it.
    So far, so good. They have been trouble-free and don't have any of the quirks I've read about the bb7's. Certainly cheaper than a hydraulic set-up with road-levers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just ordered an Absolute Black 20t cog to convert my Honzo. Pics after conversion.

mtbr member
    I'll have a build thread with pics of my Chumba as soon as the final few parts come in.
    I had to use their customer service and was satisfied.

Here's a picture of the bike on it's maiden voyage. I didn't have all the parts I wanted to use yet so I put some parts from other bikes on in the meanwhile.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20160103_153059.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Trail Junkie

Misfit Psycles diSSent

Frame was originally Phosphorus treated raw, then I repainted it a color kind of in between mint and a really light color blue.
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_0153.jpg
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    I like it! Looks like a big bmx bike! Nice!....Just a quick word of caution regarding the SS rims. I ran one on the front last year and had a Geax Saguaro blow off the rim twice. Once in my hand! Then mounted a Vittoria Barzo and it blew off the rim as well. As you probably know, Geax and Vittoria are the same brand. Not sure why but they don't seem to mesh well with those rims. No problems with any other brand of tires though.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been a Schwalbe guy for the last few years and haven't had any issues so far on these rims. Thanks for the kudos, it's been a fun project and it turned out exactly the way I wanted!
    Niner RIP 9 Alloy

mtbr member
    Pivot Les, Niner Fork, XTR Brakes, Bontrager XXX wheels (1380g), Vittoria Barzo 2.25 Tires, Noir Cranks...Had 100mm Fox on it but couldn't get along with the slack geometry.The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-uploadfromtaptalk1452877315770.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike...Is that a carbon frame??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vindiggitydog View Post
    Nice looking bike...Is that a carbon frame??
    Thanks! Yes, carbon.

mtbr member
    Newly built Surly Krampus. Only 1 ride, but absolutely love this thing!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5

~Jb
    mtbr member
    Finally got around to finishing my SSSJ.
    Last edited by ~Jb; 01-25-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    Crux E5 X1
    Epic Elite Carbon 29 WC
    Fatboy Expert Carbon
    Stumpjumper 29 SS
    Tarmac Comp Custom

mtbr member
    Talbot Frameworks, in current Winter mode.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice Jb ! What crank you use ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here is the Coconino that I built up near the end of 2014. Steve is a really great guy to work with and if you get a chance I highly recommend having him build a frame. The last picture shows the 80 mm of rear tire clearance he built it with.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-photo-11-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-photo-12-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-photo-13-.jpg

Here is what it has:
    RS Sid dual air with 15 mm TA
    I9 hubs laced to Stan's Flow EX with 2.4 Maxxis Ardent EXO
    Shimano XT brakes, 180 and 160 mm
    Thomson cockpit with WTB saddle and Easton Haven carbon bars
    Shimano XT crankset with RaceFace 32 ring and bash guard
    JBL 18 tooth rear cog

I tried a CK and neither myself or my wheel builder could get it on unless we used a rubber mallet. Neither of us wanted to try that!
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I went Bikepacking last weekend.

Check out my full gear list, packing layout, and trip report here: Max, The Cyclist
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

Members who have read this thread: 482