Page 116 of 226 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 126 166 216 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 5631
    Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I want to see how the messages will be threaded
    I keep thinking about doing the dingle thing. You've got a lot of gear ratios there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

blurr

Dingle thing

Spinnyspinspin,
    A friend of mine mocks the several gears on my "SS" but I like having options. Its not like I can bail out and shift on the trail.
    With the three tooth difference on the chainrings and dos freewheel the brake pads dont have to be adjusted because the chain length is exactly the same. The fixed cog is one tooth off but the vbrakes still land on the rim.
    Thinking about getting the surly dingle cog in 17/20 to give me 4 ratios.
    32x19 and 35x16 free
    32x20 and 35x17 fixed
    With the one tooth difference between the high and low ratios (for ex. 32x19 free and 32x20 fixed) the brakes should always line up with the same chain length.
    Love SS, but options are good for different rides.
    I haven't had the nerve to ride fixed on the trail yet, but I like to ride to the trail fixed and then switch.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by bf1101 View Post
    Spinnyspinspin,
    A friend of mine mocks the several gears on my "SS" but I like having options. Its not like I can bail out and shift on the trail.
    With the three tooth difference on the chainrings and dos freewheel the brake pads dont have to be adjusted because the chain length is exactly the same. The fixed cog is one tooth off but the vbrakes still land on the rim.
    Thinking about getting the surly dingle cog in 17/20 to give me 4 ratios.
    32x19 and 35x16 free
    32x20 and 35x17 fixed
    With the one tooth difference between the high and low ratios (for ex. 32x19 free and 32x20 fixed) the brakes should always line up with the same chain length.
    Love SS, but options are good for different rides.
    I haven't had the nerve to ride fixed on the trail yet, but I like to ride to the trail fixed and then switch.
    Sheldon Brown would be proud. Wow, this quadringle idea you present is intriguing.

And fixed trail riding is spectacular. Definitely takes some getting used to, but it is ****-eating grin fun.

― Robert Anton Wilson

blurr
    Thanks for the reply. Think I might try fixed on the trail next time I go ride.
    The only other change I have in mind is getting a 38 tooth ring so I can run 35 38 in the front instead of 32 35. 32x20 or 32x19 is a bit low. I think 35x20 fixed or 35x19 free will be better. The higher ratios (38x16/17 are for street so higher is better there too)
    Gotta stick to the 3 tooth gap for all of the ratios to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    *My single speed and I...

But you are wrong, My Bike and Me is correct. If you put a picture of yourself, would you say here is I?? No you would say here is ME.

Edit... I will post my newest setup of my 26" Monocog once my new tubes are in to keep on dubject.
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by kvojr View Post
    But you are wrong, My Bike and Me is correct. If you put a picture of yourself, would you say here is I?? No you would say here is ME.

Edit... I will post my newest setup of my 26" Monocog once my new tubes are in to keep on dubject.
    I would say "here I am." That's just me.

― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member

2009 Felt Solo Nine

Loving it. Not too crazy about their EBB design, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Now that I know I won't be shunned too much for posting my dingle...

Just finished this on the weekend:

42x16 for commuting, and 38x20 for trailerhauling and maybe some trails

The crankset is a double, with the bashguard mounted with 12mm crankbolts and some washers for spacing

I picked it up from the local bike coop a few weeks ago looking like this:

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Just 'cause it hasn't happened yet don't mean it won't.

That bike has been transformed quite nicely. Cool before and after shots.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kvojr View Post

"here is me"????
    my 3 year old already says "here I am".

grammar nazi cat is correct.you fail, as punishment, 3 action photos of the single speed.

(and noone gets to joke about the grammar nazis on the ss forum... seriously... no jokes... hey you in the back, stop giggling!)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    "here is me"????
    my 3 year old already says "here I am".

grammar nazi cat is correct.you fail, as punishment, 3 action photos of the single speed.

(and noone gets to joke about the grammar nazis on the ss forum... seriously... no jokes... hey you in the back, stop giggling!)
    No sir. He is correct and you are wrong.

If he posted a picture of him he would say, "This is me" not "This is I". Substitute bike for me and it is "This is my bike". Add me to that and you get "This is my bike and me". Or, shorten it to "My bike and me".

Sorry.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

blurr
    Just 'cause it hasn't happened yet don't mean it won't.
    Shunned for what? You can only ride one gear at a time.

mtbr member
    2011 Trek Sawyer stock minus the drivetrain and wheel/tire combos.

Went double speed/dingle speed/2x2 (whateveryouwantotcallitspeed) with a WI Dos Eno 19t/17t and a howitzer crank with 34t/32t Blackspire chainrings.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    No sir. He is correct and you are wrong.

If he posted a picture of him he would say, "This is me" not "This is I". Substitute bike for me and it is "This is my bike". Add me to that and you get "This is my bike and me". Or, shorten it to "My bike and me".

Sorry.
    Glad to see it isn't a long winter just for me.

And BF1101, I was kiddin' around. Seems like there's always some diversion of philosophies surrounding the whole dingle thing on the SS forum, and I was joking that it might only be a matter of time before someone shares their not so positive opinion. I think it's awesome and consider it on a weekly basis, myself.

And you grammar fans should check this out. E-Prime

"E-PRIME, abolishing all forms of the verb "to be," has its roots in the field of general semantics, as presented by Alfred Korzybski in his 1933 book, Science and Sanity. Korzybski pointed out the pitfalls associated with, and produced by, two usages of "to be": identity and predication. His student D. David Bourland, Jr., observed that even linguistically sensitive people do not seem able to avoid identity and predication uses of "to be" if they continue to use the verb at all. Bourland pioneered in demonstrating that one can indeed write and speak without using any form of "to be," calling this subset of the English language "E-Prime." Many have urged the use of E-Prime in writing scientific and technical papers. Dr. Kellogg exemplifies a prime exponent of this activity. Dr. Albert Ellis has rewritten five of his books in E-Prime, in collaboration with Dr. Robert H. Moore, to improve their clarity and to reap the epistemological benefits of this language revision. Korzybski felt that all humans should receive training in general semantics from grade school on, as "semantic hygiene" against the most prevalent forms of logical error, emotional distortion, and "demonological thinking." E-Prime provides a straightforward training technique for acquiring such semantic hygiene."
    Last edited by Spinnyspinspin; 02-14-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My morning commute

For the dirt
    http://mwtcyclingclub.44.forumer.com/
    our local midwest bike forum... check it out!

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by fire02red View Post
    My morning commute

For the dirt
    The Friends dvds are for your lady.... right? I did the same and bought the whole series so I could play Xbox while my wife was distracted

Nice rides. What crankset is that on the 9er?
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

blurr
    Stopbreakindown:

Never been a big fan of 29ers (tried 3 or 4 of them, didn't take), but that Sawyer is pretty cool. Makes me wish I got along better with 29s

I considered trying one when they came out, but could not get over the bigger hoops.

Spinnyspinspin:

Gotcha didn't take offense. I see/hear the argument from time to time and think its funny--as if there is a "right" way to ride or "right" bike to ride.
    SS, Dinglespeed, gears, suspension, rigid, 26, 29, 69... its all good as long as you're riding.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Exactly.

― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Stopbreakindown:

Never been a big fan of 29ers (tried 3 or 4 of them, didn't take), but that Sawyer is pretty cool. Makes me wish I got along better with 29s

I considered trying one when they came out, but could not get over the bigger hoops.

Spinnyspinspin:

Gotcha didn't take offense. I see/hear the argument from time to time and think its funny--as if there is a "right" way to ride or "right" bike to ride.
    SS, Dinglespeed, gears, suspension, rigid, 26, 29, 69... its all good as long as you're riding.
    Today's 29ers are a lot better then when they 1st came out.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

blurr
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Today's 29ers are a lot better then when they 1st came out.
    Agreed. I have access to several... kind of a regular around my LBS and have ridden many of them, hell I've owned a couple in the last 4 years or so but sold each of them pretty quick... just prefer the lighter, nimbler, stronger 26er wheels. Just more fun to ride (I'm 6'1" so apparently I am perfect candidate for 29er according to many).

Not arguing that one is superior. I totally understand the benefits, its more of a feel thing.

mtbr member
    Agreed. I have access to several... kind of a regular around my LBS and have ridden many of them, hell I've owned a couple in the last 4 years or so but sold each of them pretty quick... just prefer the lighter, nimbler, stronger 26er wheels. Just more fun to ride (I'm 6'1" so apparently I am perfect candidate for 29er according to many).

Not arguing that one is superior. I totally understand the benefits, its more of a feel thing.
    I agree. But that being said 29ers really have their niche to me. If I'm going for a long XC fire road/snowmobile trail type ride, and for commuting and xc racing the bike is awesome. Tearing up some chunky downhill on single track and shredding trails eh, not so much. I'll take my 26in AM HT for that.

I love my 29er for certain things, and that is why I keep it around.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinnyspinspin View Post
    The Friends dvds are for your lady.... right? I did the same and bought the whole series so I could play Xbox while my wife was distracted

Nice rides. What crankset is that on the 9er?
    Its a Truvativ Firex. Its what came stock on it. I would really like to pick up an SLX crank for it. i love the look of the new ones
    http://mwtcyclingclub.44.forumer.com/
    our local midwest bike forum... check it out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fire02red View Post
    Its a Truvativ Firex. Its what came stock on it. I would really like to pick up an SLX crank for it. i love the look of the new ones
    Jenson has SLX cranks on clearance right now for $129. They were $119 at Price Point but sold out.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2012 Niner One 9
    Niner Nude Carbon Tapered Fork
    Shimano XT brakes
    Stan's Crest hoops w/ Stan's 3.30 hubs
    GEAX Saguaro tires
    Salsa Flip-Off's Stainless skewers
    Niner Flat Top alloy bar
    Ergon grips
    Zipp Service Course SL stem
    Fizik Tundra 2 saddle
    Bontrager XXX seatpost
    Salsa Lip Lock seatpost clamp
    Bontrager RXL bottle cages
    Truvativ Stylo crank (will swap with XO once chainring comes from HBC)
    Truvativ GXP BB
    Eggbeater 1 pedals
    Niner Speedring
    SRAM PC-971 chain
    Niner Cogalicious cog
    Ashima rotors

Weighs in at 19lbs 13oz with plenty of weight to lose when I swap out the cranks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    getting "surplused", *****ier than I need to be, forget it.
    Last edited by byknuts; 02-15-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!