Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!

2M views 7K replies 2K participants last post by  JJx 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#2,879 ·
Thanks for the reply. Think I might try fixed on the trail next time I go ride.
The only other change I have in mind is getting a 38 tooth ring so I can run 35 38 in the front instead of 32 35. 32x20 or 32x19 is a bit low. I think 35x20 fixed or 35x19 free will be better. The higher ratios (38x16/17 are for street so higher is better there too)
Gotta stick to the 3 tooth gap for all of the ratios to work.

#2,883 ·
Now that I know I won't be shunned too much for posting my dingle...

Just finished this on the weekend:

42x16 for commuting, and 38x20 for trailerhauling and maybe some trails

The crankset is a double, with the bashguard mounted with 12mm crankbolts and some washers for spacing

I picked it up from the local bike coop a few weeks ago looking like this:

#2,892 ·
Stopbreakindown:

Never been a big fan of 29ers (tried 3 or 4 of them, didn't take), but that Sawyer is pretty cool. Makes me wish I got along better with 29s

I considered trying one when they came out, but could not get over the bigger hoops.

Spinnyspinspin:

Gotcha:thumbsup: didn't take offense. I see/hear the argument from time to time and think its funny--as if there is a "right" way to ride or "right" bike to ride.
SS, Dinglespeed, gears, suspension, rigid, 26, 29, 69... its all good as long as you're riding.

#2,899 ·

2012 Niner One 9
Niner Nude Carbon Tapered Fork
Shimano XT brakes
Stan's Crest hoops w/ Stan's 3.30 hubs
GEAX Saguaro tires
Salsa Flip-Off's Stainless skewers
Niner Flat Top alloy bar
Ergon grips
Zipp Service Course SL stem
Fizik Tundra 2 saddle
Bontrager XXX seatpost
Salsa Lip Lock seatpost clamp
Bontrager RXL bottle cages
Truvativ Stylo crank (will swap with XO once chainring comes from HBC)
Truvativ GXP BB
Eggbeater 1 pedals
Niner Speedring
SRAM PC-971 chain
Niner Cogalicious cog
Ashima rotors

Weighs in at 19lbs 13oz with plenty of weight to lose when I swap out the cranks.

#2,906 ·
Be prepared, however, for constant gear inch calculations and computing what percentage of the time you're standing. Also if your liver hasn't already been punished thoroughly, you might want to think about starting a drinking regimen now, so by the time you're a true singlespeeder you can pound beers on rides. You won't need water, and I've heard you can lube your chain with PBR quite successfully.:p

It's awesome, dude, even when you're walking.

#2,907 ·
Yes, I will fit in with you single speeders just fine from the sounds of it. Might have to go whiskey instead of beer though. I won't be going rigid with the trails I ride but I have recently made the switch to platforms after years of clipless and I love it. Less to think about, less to worry about, just nice and simple. That's what made me realize I was probably a single speeder.

#2,915 ·
Even if it's just for the technique, try rigid. You become much more aware of the lines you're picking (and the consequences of poorly chosen lines), and there is actually a lot of room for tire size and psi to add a little bit of squish so you're not just relying on the elbows and knees for suspension. I went from a full-sus Intense 5.5 FRO to a Monocog, and I haven't ridden the squishy bike in way too long.

Of course, I have yet to huck the 'Cog off a four foot drop.... but there's still time.

#2,914 · (Edited)
Litespeed Toccoa

Litespeed Toccoa Ti
32-16 SS
Surly Rear Cog and Spacer Kit, Salsa front (will be replaced with something else)
Race Face Atlas Crank
Rigid Carbon Exotics Front fork 425 A-C
Mavic Enduro Wheelset, Crossmark Rear, Ignitor Front both Tubless
Hope Mono 4 Brakes
Thomson Stem / Seatpost (looking for a black one), Easton 685mm wide bar

This started out as a craigslist buy a few years ago ($500). Road it with gears and front suspension for a while and decided to convert it. After getting into the bike, it was a mess. Old headset was seized to the steerer tube and the bottom race and bearing become one. BB was seized and lots of corrosion. Carbon fiber seat post was lodged in the seat tube.

Tore it down to the frame and built it back up. The Ti looks funny in the picture because it was recently re-burnished and will get the darker color again. I have a full set of decals to put back on, but I'm thinking that I'll leave it naked.

The chain tension is a bit slack, but it is rideable for now. About 3/4" deflection on the bottom.

Platform pedals for the neighborhood riding with the family and clipless for the trails. I also have a second stem / handbar that I can pop on for a more agressive XC stance.

#2,916 ·
I rode a rigid Monocog 29er for about a year. It was awesome. Unfortunately I had a bad crash and hurt my shoulder. Then crashed and hurt the other. That's been kinda hard on my 44 yo body. The new SS has a Reba and I'm not going back.

I do agree about the rigid making you plan a head, picking your lines better and riding smarter. It did that for me.

#2,917 ·
I rode a rigid Monocog 29er for about a year. It was awesome. Unfortunately I had a bad crash and hurt my shoulder. Then crashed and hurt the other. That's been kinda hard on my 44 yo body. The new SS has a Reba and I'm not going back.

I do agree about the rigid making you plan a head, picking your lines better and riding smarter. It did that for me.
My first ride on that thing really woke me up. I'd become so lazy on the full-sus that I nearly broke my wrist the first time I bombed a rocky descent on a relatively mild section of trail. Took that lesson and ran with it, and haven't been on a bike with suspension in almost six months.... of course, I'm 27 and have been extremely fortunate that my crashes haven't left me with any lingering injuries. I hope I don't regret posting that any time soon. I posted something about never patching tubes, and the next day got two flats on my way to work.

#2,918 · (Edited)
heh! teaser nomore

my 50$ rocky mountain experience!
rusty stock steel stem, threaded headset and bb, all GACB.
added: my wife's turbines, 38 blackspire ring, WI- eno ecc. hub with 17/19 duo cogs cause I couldn't find my 16t single, front wheel's a suzue hub laced to a vuelta airlines rim! plus schwalbe 2.35 supermotos, xtr v levers and calipers (changed to maguras soon!) some goofy shimano oval-link chain meant for fixie pimps.

this thing turns in too fast, the chainstays are SO short the rear wheel is carving a much tighter line than I'm used to.
it's fine in a straight line but it's oversteering, but i'll get used to it!

oh, the eccentric hub's rotated forward, so shorter than stock. and stock was SHOOOORT.

Attachments

#2,920 ·
my 50$ rocky mountain experience!
rusty stock steel stem, threaded headset and bb, all GACB.
added: my wife's turbines, 38 blackspire ring, WI- eno ecc. hub with 17/19 duo cogs cause I couldn't find my 16t single, front wheel's a suzue hub laced to a vuelta airlines rim! plus schwalbe 2.35 supermotos, xtr v levers and calipers (changed to maguras soon!) some goofy shimano oval-link chain meant for fixie pimps.

this thing turns in too fast, the chainstays are SO short the rear wheel is carving a much tighter line than I'm used to.
it's fine in a straight line but it's oversteering, but i'll get used to it!

oh, the eccentric hub's rotated forward, so shorter than stock. and stock was SHOOOORT.
Where do you use the Super Moto's? How do you like them in terms of grip on trails?

#2,921 ·
tonight was 1st ride, streets only for now, but wouldn't you know- I tried it and the frame'll fit a 2.4" ritchey motovader ;)
i've ridden slicks on trails before, air down, slower spinning and it's not bad.
pretty basic traction control stuff.

#2,922 ·
Just after the maden voyage!

2012 Trek Superfly SS framset
-Fox Float RLC 80mm
-XTR brakes
-XT Ice Tech rotors
-XT crank
-XT skewers
-Stans Arch wheels/Hope pro 2 evo hubs
-WTB Silverado SLT
-Thomson Elite
-Bontrager RXL carbon bar
-Bontrager 29-1 tires

19.6 lbs without pedals
20.12 lbs with eggbeaters

Chain line is strait... Picture makes it look off..

#2,924 ·
Just after the maden voyage!

2012 Trek Superfly SS framset
-Fox Float RLC 80mm
-XTR brakes
-XT Ice Tech rotors
-XT crank
-XT skewers
-Stans Arch wheels/Hope pro 2 evo hubs
-WTB Silverado SLT
-Thomson Elite
-Bontrager RXL carbon bar
-Bontrager 29-1 tires

19.6 lbs without pedals
20.12 lbs with eggbeaters
Wow. Good job spending 4k on a single speed...

#2,926 ·
I love this forum.
A 50$ "had the parts in the basement" bike followed by a 4K carbon masterpiece.
And we all suffer for the purity of SS!! :thumbsup:
FWIW I threw gazzaloddis on my full-CF fisher, but it's got gears so you won't find it here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.