Page 112 of 221 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 122 162 212 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 5515
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Love the red accents!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytik View Post
    Finally done:

17LBS 4 OZ

Build List:

Full photo set on Flickr(Includes some weights and lots of misc pics):

Chinese Carbon 29er Build - a set on Flickr
    Let us know how the seat works out?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2011 Sette Reken w/ SR Suntour XCR 100mm and lockout. Gearing: 34x21
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-sette-reken-race-ready.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastook View Post
    Just curious, why didn't you go with the Stans Crest Wheelset and knock another 300+ grams off your build? Unless of course you happen to be a Clydesdale.
    I chose the Arch rims in case I wanted to switch the wheelset to a different bike. I didn't want to have to worry about them if I put them on a different bike and rode more aggressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Let us know how the seat works out?
    Will do. I know a couple people that have used it before and they really liked it. First impressions are good and it seems to be much more comfortable than it looks. The negatives I've heard are some of the web connections have broken but, we shall see...

EXORCIZE

my bike

2011 KONA UNIT (20")
    Niner carbon fork
    King SS hubs + Flows + DT Swiss 2.0/1.8/2.0
    Weirwolf LT 2.55 + Exiwolf 2.3
    '08 XT 160mm brakes BR-M775
    Easton Monkeylite DH carbon 710mm bar
    ESI "chunky" grips
    Easton EA70 100X20d stem
    Fizik Gobi ti wing flex (1st gen.)
    Eriksen 27.2mm ti layback 420mm post (10' extension)
    Hope seatpost QR (with no-tool microadjust)
    Truvativ Stylo 1.1 OCT 180mm cranks
    King 20t cog
    KMC Z610HX chain
    XTR pedals + Specialized Pro shoes
    Weight: unknown, but rides great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-bikes-001-40-percent.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-bikes-003-40-percent.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-bikes-005-40-percent.jpg  

ride natty ride

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytik View Post
    Shithowdy, that's a badmother****er. Did you set out to make 1SPD drool?

mtbr member
    most of these bikes are 1spd drool. But that carbon bike is sweet.

Hopefully I'll get my KM done this weekend, pics to follow, maybe a test ride if this warm 40 degree weather keeps up! *fingers crossed*
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    That ain't drool coming out of him...

mtbr member
    Thanks Zas...I set out to build it up exactly how I wanted. It took some time to get all the parts together because of budget but, I like the result. Could have went lighter with the wheelset(DT Swiss, Crest)but, I wanted to be able to move the wheels to a more aggressive bikes if I decided to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you don't mind sharing, what did that build cost?
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    If you don't mind sharing, what did that build cost?
    My build? I'd rather not share a number. I'll just say it wasn't cheap by any means but, I spread my purchases over 3 months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

1997 Hoo Koo E Koo

Posted this a while back but have made some upgrades. Building a front wheel to match. Fun to give this old girl new breath! Little over the top for what she but I'm having fun.
    Yes I know that's a Dos.
    GF New Drivetrain

Thanks to some members here for a few pieces. This thing is the t*ts!

mtbr member
    That thing is awesome. I love semi-retro SS revivals
    -Eric

mtbr member

S-S-Selma

So, I first got into the SS world a year and a half ago. Got sold on a GF Rig that I found for cheap and got addicted. In short order, I picked up a Vassago Jabberwocky, fully tricked it out w/ Thomson this and that, Hopes laced to Arches, CK headset... beautiful rig. It really made me a stronger climber and I enjoyed it, but still kept a FS in the stable. In May, we had our second kiddo and I knew that I'd be doing little riding over the summer and my fitness would lag, making the SS even harder to ride. I couldn't justify letting the Jabber collect dust, so I let her go.

Now, many months later, I've turned 40, we have our legs back underneath us with the kiddos and the 2012 season is on the horizon. I've signed up for a few big rides with lots of climbing and wanted an SS back in the mix to help with training, thus...

My new-to-me Salsa Selma. Have only had her on two rides, but love the feel of this frame. Planning to try her out with a Niner fork later this spring (local shop will actually let me demo a fork- so cool).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_1937.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_1938.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_1939.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_1940.jpg  

mtbr member
    woah! that looks like a monster gear back there! What is that? 20t +?
    -Eric

mtbr member
    That, my friends, is a 23T. I'm a huge weenie, I admit, but I have fun. Even with a 32/23, I'm huffing and puffing on some of my backyard trails on the Front Range of CO- many climb 900-1000' out of the gate with little respite. I was able to whittle myself down to a 21t on the Jabber last year and imagine I'll get back there this year as well, but I gotta start somewhere that doesn't kill my already torn up knees

mtbr member
    Well Colorado is a different animal.

I consider to be in shape, but one week out there last summer on my 1x9 HT and I felt like an asthmatic old man. Sure some of that is that I wasn't used to the altitude, but still damn. The climbs out there can be brutal. Here in MI we have brutal climbs like CO, but they are half of the length. The ones in CO keep going and seem to have no end in sight sometimes.
    -Eric

The need for singlespeed
    Meh, once you hit 14000ft you know there ain't too much climbing left.

Low Rep Count
    Yep, You nailed it Zaskar. I was so going to go this route but was not sure what the hell I was going to do about chain tension! I am very impressed and yes, drooling a tad! It looks just like something I would build! Awesome build!

I on the other hand was tinkering around with my other SS today. I went for a ride yesterday and the front brake lever just felt out of wack. Turns out the quick release button had worn a goove in the lever body thus leaving it in the released position. So I was thinking I was finally going to have to put some money into this POS...instead I pulled out an old carbon flat bar that was too narrow for my 29, grabbed my old levers off my BB7 set up and went to work. As a result, I have what now actually feels more comfy to ride and looks a little different...but it works and it cost me nothing.

I also ran over to my buddies shop and picked up a used 18t freewheel that he had for $5. So my gearing is a little nicer to me now. Running a 46x18 now. It was a 46x16 which was a tad challenging to say the least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-blue1.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-blue2.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-blue3.jpg  

Last edited by 1SPD; 02-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post

Someone please tell me how this chain tensioner was made!! I see it's obviously from a v-brake lever and a jockey wheel, but more details would be outstanding.

Thank you so much...

mtbr member
    Here is mine. Sort of a work in progress. 2009 Hardrock. I was inspired by Sasquatch on the tensioner!

Last edited by safme; 02-05-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Better pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thook View Post
    Someone please tell me how this chain tensioner was made!! I see it's obviously from a v-brake lever and a jockey wheel, but more details would be outstanding.

Thank you so much...
    I'm glad you like my tensioner! I took a v-brake arm and cut off all the bits that you don't need like the slot for the brake pad, and the notch for the brake spring. Then I drilled out the hole to fit a derailleur hanger bolt (I've actually updated it to a much better design, I'll post pics soon) and I used the existing hole that clamps the brake cable to run a long bolt with spacers and a jockey wheel. The update that I made was that I actually used a derailluer bolt that threads right into the hanger so that a 5mm hex key will take off/loosen/or tighten the tensioner
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I'm glad you like my tensioner! I took a v-brake arm and cut off all the bits that you don't need like the slot for the brake pad, and the notch for the brake spring. Then I drilled out the hole to fit a derailleur hanger bolt (I've actually updated it to a much better design, I'll post pics soon) and I used the existing hole that clamps the brake cable to run a long bolt with spacers and a jockey wheel. The update that I made was that I actually used a derailluer bolt that threads right into the hanger so that a 5mm hex key will take off/loosen/or tighten the tensioner
    Yeah, dude.....bloody brilliant! And, so timely and convenient. I was trying to find/figure a way for chain tension on my old GT mtn bike SS convert. I hated the thought of throwing a derailleur on or dumping much more cash on it than I already have in the name of a Singleator or such. Just so happens I have some junk Tektro V's that would make outstanding donors for a tensioner. Plus, several orphaned jockey wheels from busted derailleurs.

So, yeah....when you get around to it with your updated pics (which I hope will be soon...), if you wouldn't mind, please give some specific details.....like the length of bolt/spacer and where you sourced the needed hardware. Pretty sure Lowes or Home Depot, or some such, will have whatever, but it's always nice knowing exactly what to look for when getting there.....if you know what I mean.

BTW, I love the color of the brown. Did you paint yourself? Aluminum frame? Was it necessary to strip the paint entirely and/or did you have to use an etching primer or something? I really want to repaint the GT. It's aluminum and the paint's been abused pretty good for the past 18 years...lol!

The need for singlespeed
    1SPD has made a SS mountain biker's SS road bike. That's the way to do it.