Page 112 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,600 of 6391
    ogarajef@luther.edu

Wiseman SS

I just received my Custom Wiseman frame and built it up last night. This frame currently has 26x3.8 in it, but can be ran as a 29er, 27.5 or a 29+ or a 27.5+ when then are actually available.

This is a 73mm bottom bracket shell with a symmetrical 135mm rear end. The cranks clear with plenty to spare as does the chainring thanks to some fantastic fabrication. I have the wheel slammed forward and the chainstay is just over 17".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-photo-3.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-photo-12.jpg  

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-photo-5.jpg  

"RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!

Built up my second singlespeed about a week ago. It's a Surly Karate Monkey Ops. I'm loving the feel of the steel bike. It's already covered in scratches and gouges from a few well placed "this is not a good line..*slam*" rock garden moments. Breaking it in quickly and absolutely loving this bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1strongone1 View Post
    I just received my Custom Wiseman frame and built it up last night. This frame currently has 26x3.8 in it, but can be ran as a 29er, 27.5 or a 29+ or a 27.5+ when then are actually available.

This is a 73mm bottom bracket shell with a symmetrical 135mm rear end. The cranks clear with plenty to spare as does the chainring thanks to some fantastic fabrication. I have the wheel slammed forward and the chainstay is just over 17".
    Nice looking bike, where are you located? Wiseman is a local builder to me and had a booth at our annual race this year. Nice guy from the little I was able to speak with him.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PrjktJho View Post
    Built up my second singlespeed about a week ago. It's a Surly Karate Monkey Ops. I'm loving the feel of the steel bike. It's already covered in scratches and gouges from a few well placed "this is not a good line..*slam*" rock garden moments. Breaking it in quickly and absolutely loving this bike!

I really dig the look of the new KM's. I think I need to look into one. I have to say that the Maxxis tires looked like 29+ at first.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    Nice looking bike, where are you located? Wiseman is a local builder to me and had a booth at our annual race this year. Nice guy from the little I was able to speak with him.
    Decorah Iowa. Dave met me in Galena, half way between us and delivered the frame.

I can't say enough about his quality of work and communication. He is hands down the best custom builder I have delt with, and I have had a bunch of custom frames over the years.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    That Wiseman frame rocks!
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Decorah Iowa. Dave met me in Galena, half way between us and delivered the frame.

I can't say enough about his quality of work and communication. He is hands down the best custom builder I have delt with, and I have had a bunch of custom frames over the years.
    Cool. I have looked at his frames and might be hitting him up for a fat bike frame some day. I do like what he did with yours. Might have to think about borrowing that idea.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member

Re: The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!

Kmc dlc chain?

Wow. That paint is something! Nice bike.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member

Waltworks finished this June. What a fun time.

Last edited by thickfog; 08-19-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    CRAMBA Chairman

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Cool. I have looked at his frames and might be hitting him up for a fat bike frame some day. I do like what he did with yours. Might have to think about borrowing that idea.
    No problem.

DFMBA.org

My '11 Marlin SS. Bought it used so I could 'dip my toe' into the whole SS and after a half-doz rides I'm hooked. About 20 min after I took this pic I was getting my a$$ handed to me by mother nature. The storm made national news b/c it was AZ. It was an awesome morning.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Awesome bikes all! Just converted my '07. I hope I have a good time with it this weekend.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-e-hrss.jpg

I really dig the look of the new KM's. I think I need to look into one. I have to say that the Maxxis tires looked like 29+ at first.
    I have had multiple people comment on the tire size actually! Just last weekend at the trailhead I had a guy come across the parking lot to ask me about my tires. I said they were a 2.4 and he didn't believe me. I don't know if the Stan's flow rim width is making them look that much larger or what.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post

Curved top tube, non-suspension corrected fork, sliding dropouts, custom built by Walt. Very very nice!! You could probably pay more but it doesn't get much better than that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That is an awesome looking bike! Walt does some really great work. I have talked with him in the past and may one day have him build something for me.

That paint job just rocks by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post

2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PrjktJho View Post
    I have had multiple people comment on the tire size actually! Just last weekend at the trailhead I had a guy come across the parking lot to ask me about my tires. I said they were a 2.4 and he didn't believe me. I don't know if the Stan's flow rim width is making them look that much larger or what.
    Are they both Ardents? They are fairly large tires and the Flow's seem to let them reach a pretty good width so that would explain it.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by thickfog; 08-21-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    CRAMBA Chairman

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    That Wiseman frame rocks!
    The paint job is amazing.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    The paint job is amazing.
    The crazy part is it looks 10x better in person. The camera can't really capture the sparkle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are they both Ardents? They are fairly large tires and the Flow's seem to let them reach a pretty good width so that would explain it.
    The first and only time I experienced floating and coasting at the same time was on a pair of Ardents on a KM. Awesome snow tire BTW.

Surly Karate Monkey Dingle Speed
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    I tried a similar drop bar setup, geared though, with my older RM Hammer. I just couldn't get the fit right, I felt cramped. I had a 35 degree stem with Woodchippers (46cm) and tried to get the drops approximately where my low rise bar had been. Could you share the length and rise of your stem (including if you used additional spacers) and the position of you h-bar as it would've related to a traditional mtb setup?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Built up this turd with my parts bin and about 150 bucks from QBP. Frame was a freebie.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-10616757_1487820761464492_1195064639_n.jpg

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    Nicest turd ever

there's no bread

surly 1x1 650b
    Last edited by byrot; 08-23-2014 at 09:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There simply have not been enough bikes produced in that shade of blue, very nice.

mtbr member
    Fixed 650b conversion. I tried drop bars, but the bike is more fun and more comfortable to me like this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Fixed 650b conversion. I tried drop bars, but the bike is more fun and more comfortable to me like this.
    Looks great, is your frame 650b specific or was it a larger wheel size ?
    Finally rolling on 29" x 2.0" Schwalbe Big Apples

mtbr member
    May 2014

DJ turned XC

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-image.jpg
    Added a front brake and high seat post to my dirt jumper. This bike is so much fun on the trails, I rarely use it as a jumper these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThundaCrymz View Post
    Looks great, is your frame 650b specific or was it a larger wheel size ?
    Thanks. The frame is an 89 Giant RS940. Made for 700c wheels and up to 23mm tires. I'm glad the conversion worked so flawlessly because bigger tires are better for my uses.

mtbr member
    Pipedream Sirius - 650b Belt drive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20140819_075038.jpg  

by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2014

mongoose ss

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20140812_163351-large-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20140812_163412-large-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20140812_163432-large-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20140812_164137-large-.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-after.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-before.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-crank.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Pipedream Sirius - 650b Belt drive
    Sweet. Just pm'd you asking about pics. Nice!
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Built this up today, customs had the frame laying there for 10days. So tomorrow i will try my first real singlespeed ride, then on thursday i will travel to my first race, with a brand new singlespeed.. 94km will be hard

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorp View Post
    Built this up today, customs had the frame laying there for 10days. So tomorrow i will try my first real singlespeed ride, then on thursday i will travel to my first race, with a brand new singlespeed.. 94km will be hard

What fork you got on there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    DMR trailblade, 440mm A/C length

Need NO stinkin gears!
    Aug 2014

Gravity G29 with Upgrades!

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-photo.jpg

Gravity G29 (Bikes Direct) with a "few" upgrades! Makes the daily commute tolerable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post

That is one sweet looking bike! Beautiful view in the last picture as well. Where was it taken?
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Don't remember if I posting in here or not, so here it is. May be for sale soonThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-sheep-2013.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm quite new to all this, been riding less than a month. Figured I'd try a cheap singlespeed fatty and a cheap multispeed hardtail to dip my toes in... I ended up loving the singlespeed and my other bike got relegated to riding around town, hence the bags.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    I'm quite new to all this, been riding less than a month. Figured I'd try a cheap singlespeed fatty and a cheap multispeed hardtail to dip my toes in... I ended up loving the singlespeed and my other bike got relegated to riding around town, hence the bags.

Can you give some details on the single speed fatty, please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by petriedav View Post
    Can you give some details on the single speed fatty, please?
    Sure, its just a bone stock 2014 Gravity Deadeye from BikesDirect. I like it so far, adjusting the mechanical disc brakes perfectly has been the only headache.

mtbr member

A God Without A Name
    I see the attention paid to style on the build. I don't understand the people that spend as much as we do on bikes, and don't want it to be pretty.

I guess they feel it's more macho to have a mismatched pile of parts. being lazy and sloppy is manly.

Frankenbikes are fine if you're building a solid bike from spares without spending money. But a new build with new parts? My sensibilities demand style!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    >>Sure, its just a bone stock 2014 Gravity Deadeye from BikesDirect. I like it so far, adjusting the mechanical disc brakes perfectly has been the only headache.

I'd been looking at the BD Deadeye also, but on their site, they mentioned "Fixie". It is NOT a fixed gear bike right? Thanks

YKN

mtbr member
    May 2014
    First post and first ss...
    Last edited by Mpnoffi; 08-31-2014 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I see the attention paid to style on the build. I don't understand the people that spend as much as we do on bikes, and don't want it to be pretty.

I guess they feel it's more macho to have a mismatched pile of parts. being lazy and sloppy is manly.

Frankenbikes are fine if you're building a solid bike from spares without spending money. But a new build with new parts? My sensibilities demand style!
    Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?!

A God Without A Name
    I'm saying you put your bike together tastefully. so it looks intentional and kick ass.

So many cyclists just assemble random parts. even when building new. not really caring, or knowing how to make the bike look as good as it works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I'm saying you put your bike together tastefully. so it looks intentional and kick ass.

So many cyclists just assemble random parts. even when building new. not really caring, or knowing how to make the bike look as good as it works.
    He totally needs my wheels on the rig with the orange I9 hubs and cross pattern orange spokes.

Need NO stinkin gears!
    Aug 2014

Gravity with Upgrades!

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_4655.jpg