mtbr member

New (to me) Phil Wood SS

Hi everyone,

So last fall after putting in 500+ miles on my new Trek FS bike and getting my ass repeatedly whooped by my buddy on his 29er SS I decided to give this whole thing a try.

I spent several months researching, stalking the forums and hunting on craigslist and finally found a bike that suited me. I found a Phil Wood (made by Sycip) frame that came with ENO cranks with 32t/36t/38t chainrings, a White Industries 17t freewheel and generic brand rims laced to Phil Wood hubs. The interwebs were friendly and got me a great deal on a RockShox SID Race 10' on closeout. My LBS did me right with Thomson stem/seatpost a Bontrager saddle, Pro handlebars and some Hayes HFX 9 brakes on closeout.

I was very surprised by how light the bike feels. I took it out for my first ride today and it was almost magical. I only was able to ride it on the road because of the recent snow fall. I thought only having one gear would be hellish on climbs and would leave me wanting on the downhill but on the first ride I was not disappointed at all, in fact the climbs may have been easier if that even makes sense.

I love this bike and I think this singlespeed thing may have some merit to it after all.

30-ton War Machine
    The weight, simplicity, cleanliness of the overall package, are all reasons why SS is dreamy. Not having to adjust derailleurs and all that jazz is pretty damn nice too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122

I love this bike and I think this singlespeed thing may have some merit to it after all.
    Another one sees the light...though I have to advise that climbing on trails will (should!) be a challenge. Road climbs on a trail SS gear should be easy.

Let us know how things go once you hit trails.

Enjoy the exSSperience!

Jeremy
    DirtBrothers PA, est. 2006
    Bound By Dirt

Out spokin'
    Good looker. Very clean. I like the salt & pepper brake levers. Although you may be new to SS, you have not overlooked the hallmark of an experienced SSer -- a bell. Very well played. Welcome.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks great, nice build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Good looker. Very clean. I like the salt & pepper brake levers. Although you may be new to SS, you have not overlooked the hallmark of an experienced SSer -- a bell. Very well played. Welcome.

--sParty
    My wife put the bell in my stocking for Christmas and insisted it go on my SS. I also like the "salt & pepper" brake levers but both brake levers will be black once my second carbon lever shows up.

mtbr member
    very nice build! yeah, SS is going to grow on you. Even after hard rides...you'll take a break to let the legs come back...and then you'll be thinking about when you can get that next ride in. Welcome to the addiction.

mtbr member
    i've always like that frame, colors, everything about it. very nice looking bike.

i have the previous generation w/o discs in the back. phil wood logos but steel built by sycip. i bought the frame used from someone (DAS, if any of you recall him) on this board in the early days.

i love that frame and have built it in several incarnations. i took it out today for a winter ride on studded tires. in summer, it's sometimes my road commuter.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    i've always like that frame, colors, everything about it. very nice looking bike.

i have the previous generation w/o discs in the back. phil wood logos but steel built by sycip. i bought the frame used from someone (DAS, if any of you recall him) on this board in the early days.

i love that frame and have built it in several incarnations. i took it out today for a winter ride on studded tires. in summer, it's sometimes my road commuter.
    DAS?! Oh hell yes! He even attended Barbie Camp once... or twice. He's famous for the DAS wrench, aka a big hammer. Used it for everything.

Whatever happened to him? Washingtonian IIRC? Many moons have passed...

--sParty

P.S. Sorry for the thread derail. Hey OP, I implied it but didn't say it outright... I love that color, too.

P.P.S. And FWIW... it breaks my heart to hear you're gonna break up the S&P shaker set.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    another stunning p.w., fixie, suitable for an art studio:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) Phil Wood SS-philwoodco-4.jpg  

Got Mojo?
    KISS Off
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice.

Next step, when you're ready...rigid fork.
    True North custom chromoly SS Rigid 29er. FUN+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    KISS Off
    different frame.

mine is a kissoff, steel,135mm dropouts, 26" wheel, by sycip.

this one is 120mm, 700, lugged road track frame, i think by independent fabrication (IF).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nice looking Phil Wood! I had the earlier version Kiss-off LE. One of the yellow ones with the track ends. It had a cool airart custom paint job overlay, and was one of the best handling bikes I have owned.

Unfortunately it was too small for me and I ended-up selling it. Riding that bike through tight singletrack was a very fluid experience. Sycip really knows how to build a bike thats for sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0