Thread: New frame prep?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New frame prep?

Sooo, the Sette' Reken is on order, as is a 21 piece Sette toolkit that has a tool for almost anything you'd want to tweak on a bike. I have great mechanical knowledge (i work on pianos with 2000+ moving parts) and I know how to maintain a decent number of things on my own bikewise. My question is this, some say when you get a new frame you have to do all this milling on the BB, the head tube and the rear hanger etc. Usually this is mentioned in reference to high dollar setups. Will I have to pay my LBS lots of money to prep my $79.00 (on sale) frame? Or can I prep it myself using wire brushes etc? Do I really need to Face and Chase a 79.00 frame?
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    those local bike shops are a rip

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Short answer. Yes.

Whether you do it, or have a bike shop do it, you'll thank yourself next time you have to replace a BB or a headset.

What could go wrong ...
    its not much really ... just have a shop face & chase the BB and face the head tube and you should be good to go
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Except the CLOSEST local shop quoted $30 to race n face/ install the BB. I was thinking...1/2 the frame..okkkkkkkk
    8 is great