Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004

New frame or Eno for a SS CX bike?

Hi,

Well, I snagged an '03 Jamis Nova frame for a steal a few months ago. Bit of an impulse buy, and I would really prefer an SS frame. So, the question is: Do I sell the frame and purchase a Surly Crosscheck or keep the Jamis and purchase an Eno hub for it? The Jamis is new, but I've had a hard time trying to sell it on Rbr and Ebay. I'd prefer the Crosscheck for the ability to run fat tires, but I already have the Jamis and, well, I'd have to sell it and that isn't working out so well.

Any thoughts? I've never used an Eno, and they are pricey.

Thanks,

Colin

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Used ENO

I used an ENO hub all winter on my cross bike this winter for racing and riding in the Seattle area and can only say how wonderfully it preformed. I love my cross bike and it fits well, so getting SS frame seemed kind of counter productive. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ENO or covert

Prior to my crosscheck I had a nova. It's a great riding frame and not too heavy either (for 631 steal) my size 50 weighed 4lbs even. You can fit 38's with no problem (44 on the front). I bought surly dropouts and paid to have it converted to SS. I used the dropouts with the hanger tab so I could back and forth from geared to SS. Never had a problem. It was too small for me or I'd still be riding it now.

Eno it or convert it. Either way I'd say keep it. It's a nicer frame IMHO than the the Surly and not sure it's worth all the work to sell and re-buy just to get a 44 tire in the rear.

Either way, good luck.

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm....

Do you think it will fit a 40c in the rear? Reason I ask is I'm cheap, and already have the tires?

Can I ask where you had it converted? Didn't think of that. Plus, those Surly drops with the derailleur hanger would give me the option of going back to gears if I ever chose to (doubtful).

Also, anyone know if the Jamis decals are clear-coated over?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nova questions

I don't know about the 40's with the stock drop outs. They should fit if you get it converted (maybe even the 44's). If you look at your chainstays with a tire in you can see the bend doesn't match up exactly to maximize room. If you put horizontal drops on you'll be able to move the tire 1" to the rear and there's alot more room. I could fit a much bigger tire on mine once it was converted. Didn't a chance to try 40-44's though.

The decals are clearcoated.

I had a local framebuilder do mine but I'd suggest Gene Spice www.spicercycles.com He does great work and charges around $75 for the convertion and $80 to re-powdercoat the entire frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Eno

I am at a similiar cross roads, but I have pretty much decided ENO. If you were to buy a cross-check, you would still have to deal with building a new wheel. You could get a Surly fixxer or find a solid axle with track nuts and space the cassette body. I figured in time I would want a true SS hub and since my current cross bike fit fine, why not just go the ENO route. I have no desire to run anything larger than a michelin 30 mud tire, so clearance is not an issue. If you want to upgrade to a different frame later, you can build your Jamis back to stock to sell and take the ENO wheel with you to the new frame.

mtbr member

I have...

...to put in my $0.02. Get ENO. Why buy a new frame? ENO will simplify your bike and your life.

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Ok, where's the best place to purchase an Eno? Preferably where I could have it built up for a good (ie. cheap) price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cheap is a relative term

The best online price I have seen for an ENO hub is at Bikeman.com. I have never spoken to them about building up a wheel, but I bet they would do a great job. They are a cool shop located in Maine. They support the local MTB race series and seem pretty cool. They have some really good prices too.

I know for a fact that Mean Todd at Webcyclery.com would build you an ENO/Open Pro/DT Champion wheel for $211.00. If you add up the individual prices of the parts required, I think that is a great deal. He charges $24 for the build and takes 10% off the individual parts when purchased as a built wheel. That is pretty much like getting the wheel built for free.

If you have a local shop hook-up, you may be able to do better. My local shop (where I get great deals) saw the on-line price of $135 for the hub (from Todd) and are pretty sure they cannot do much better.