Thread: New fixie!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

New fixie!

sort of. waiting on a new rear wheel with one of the ENO hubs. i can get a 42x16 to work on the frame, using a half link, but it's a pain to get any other gear, plus this rear wheel is off my Crosscheck. i'm lazy, and hate swapping wheels around. old giant tcr team frame. rattle can textured patio furniture black. a few stickers. mostly old stuff, but some e-bay and veloswap stuff. black sharpie pen to help out with the color scheme on some little bits and pieces.

excuse the cat tail in the bottom of the pic. he's been feeling very amorous today.
    modolo levers, campy mirage front brake. titec steel stem, no name carbon post.
    nashbar cheapy tires. campy front wheel (ebay find) carbon/ti/kevlar seat from chucksbikes.com action-tec ti bb, ritchey crank and steel ring.

cheapy pedals. campy record headset. hope seat collar.no name cages and bolt on skewers. some ti and alu bolts here and there. 16 pounds on the nose, according to the bathroom scale.

can't find any nitto moustache bars in stock anywhere, so i got a pair of van dessel bars. narrower, and flat, but i think they'll work ok. only spun around town a little bit today, to get positioning right, but damn, it flies! and wow, those bars sure are narrow! some super fast twitchy handling, coming off of wide mtb bars, and 46cm bars on my roadie and my corsscheck! i think i'm geting to like this fixed stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice !

Nice Dave - Total stealth mobile. Look's like it's flying just sitting there, I'll bet it's incredibly light.

You def. have a talent for putting unique/cool bikes together.

Take it easy !
    T

I am the owl
    Nice. You're going to love it.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Faster Than Your TV!

Nice!...

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    sort of. waiting on a new rear wheel with one of the ENO hubs. i can get a 42x16 to work on the frame, using a half link, but it's a pain to get any other gear, plus this rear wheel is off my Crosscheck. i'm lazy, and hate swapping wheels around. old giant tcr team frame. rattle can textured patio furniture black. a few stickers. mostly old stuff, but some e-bay and veloswap stuff. black sharpie pen to help out with the color scheme on some little bits and pieces.

excuse the cat tail in the bottom of the pic. he's been feeling very amorous today.
    modolo levers, campy mirage front brake. titec steel stem, no name carbon post.
    nashbar cheapy tires. campy front wheel (ebay find) carbon/ti/kevlar seat from chucksbikes.com action-tec ti bb, ritchey crank and steel ring.

cheapy pedals. campy record headset. hope seat collar.no name cages and bolt on skewers. some ti and alu bolts here and there. 16 pounds on the nose, according to the bathroom scale.

can't find any nitto moustache bars in stock anywhere, so i got a pair of van dessel bars. narrower, and flat, but i think they'll work ok. only spun around town a little bit today, to get positioning right, but damn, it flies! and wow, those bars sure are narrow! some super fast twitchy handling, coming off of wide mtb bars, and 46cm bars on my roadie and my corsscheck! i think i'm geting to like this fixed stuff!
    Sweet DIY fixie. The all black is the way to go. If you're still interested in the Nitto moustache bar, here's a few links that might still have them in the MTB size (25.4 stem clamp diameter):

http://www.bikeusa.com/MERCHANT2/mer...ct_Code=HB1011

http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=416

http://store.yahoo.com/momovelo/nimubar.html

Yeah, I'm still getting used to the narrowness of the moustache bars on mine and the associated twitchy handling. My second ride on the new crosscheck was a 28 mile jaunt last night in the 21 degree (+ wind chill) cold front that's hitting the northeast right now. Only thing that bothered me was my azz, which is trying by force to break in a new saddle.

Right now the stem is too long on mine, making it a little uncomfortable in the stretch for the bar bends, so I ordered a shorter stem (nice cro-mo Salsa) with a higher rise, due in Tuesday. Only other problem is that the bar tape wrap on mine is pretty thick and makes attaching a light (especially a NiteRider one) a bit of a struggle.

Looking to log a LOT of miles on the bike before warm weather gets here.

Again, nice ride. Enjoy it!
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Witty McWitterson
    Sweet looking ride. Zonic's right, it looks fast just sitting there. I've been commuting on my fixxy for a while now and absolutely love it. Getting onto a free bike now is kinda wierd after riding fixxed for a while. Being able to coast is really an odd feeling.
    Just a regular guy.

actually ordered a nitto the other day from aebike. just backordered everywhere i've looked. it'll get here when it gets here. this narrow bar felt pretty good yesterday. may end up keeping it on. i'll get more used to it waiting for the other one, i'm sure. incidentally, this one is made by nitto as well. at least it has nitto logos on it; in two places. ~$35 shipped from van dessel direct.

i've really been riding my crosscheck fixed for the last few months, and this fixed before that, just not setup nearly as nicely. pretty used to it now. been about 5 months or so. mostly commutng, but a couple really nice long rides.

just got tired of seeing this sitting in the stand waiting on the eno rear wheel, so i kiped the one out of my crosscheck, and threw a road tire on it.

after riding to work on it last night. wow. it's faaaaaast feeling!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

fixed/single-NYC

... and if we just ... Nice Ride!

You gotta love those Urban Assault Vehicles...enjoy the ride!

Singlespeeder Downunder
    Jan 2004

New question here. Newbie question

Escuse my newbie ignorance, but don't road & mtb bikes have different dropout spacings? Does an ENO work on a roadie?

jonathan

Yes, you are right....

but the ENO comes in 126mm (some older frames) 130mm (road) and 135mm (mtb) widths. not a problem. not recomended, but i could use a 135mm on this frame, and just spred the drops a bit. could cause problems with the aluminim frame though...... i ordered the road spaced hub.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper