Thread: New Convert

MikeyC

New Convert

Thanks to the FAQ and posts I converted my old mid 80ís Specialized Rockhopper to a SS (bought new as my second MTB). Itís a great triple butted CroMo frame with horizontal drops. Cost of project = $0.

I cut the spider out of a cassette to use as a spacer. The chainline worked out perfect with the cog against the spider and plastic spacers on the outside. Iím using an old style steel QR and the wheel doesnít slip at all. Tried 38:19 and 38:21, but Iím currently running 38:23 to get up the hills around here. I thought the old Shimano brake levers I found in the parts bin were pretty cool. They look like MX levers. I think they were original on the Rockhopper.

The ride? Wow! Iíve been riding full suspension geared bikes for the last 10 years. Once I got over the thumb twitching and learned how to climb standing up again, I started to have a blast. It feels like itís half the weight of my geared fully and it accelerates like mad. I do miss the suspension (at least the front fork). Iím taking a beating on the roots and rocks.

I rode it on my own for a few months before I broke it out on the group rides. I didnít think Iíd be able to keep up. Now I find myself in front most of the time. Itís a great winter bike. My buddies are *****ing and fussing with frozen cable/shifting problems and all I got to think about is pedaling.

Iím not going to give up my gearie (yet), but I am going to build up a new steel SS with a suspension fork and disks. I wanna try and keep it low budget, so Iím thinking about the Zion EBB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fueled by Wahoo's

Congratulations!

Welcome to the world of SS. I am a relatively new to SS and had similar experiences to yours after I converted my Stumpjumper.

Your bike brings back some old memories....I can't believe you still had it laying around. The one thing that scares me are those old pedals with the cages...those things kept me in a death grip a few times too many way back when.

Love your studded tires. Living in SoCal only gives us the opportunity to ride in snow once in a great while (this year was one of them).

A word of warning regarding your last statement:

"I?m not going to give up my gearie (yet), but I am going to build up a new steel SS with a suspension fork and disks. I wanna try and keep it low budget, so I?m thinking about the Zion EBB."

I too thought about building a low budget steel SS from scratch....I even considered the Zion EBB. Nothing against the Zion, but somehow I got so caught up in the excitement that I went for a full custom bike. So - if you want to go low budget, keep the wallet at home! Maybe you have more will power than I do...good luck.

Dirk

pewpewpew Moderator
    Congrats! Fun little snow bike.
    Did you file out the vertical stays in the horizontal dropouts or just leave them as is? Are those the original crankarms as well?

I'm working on a similar project (specialized hardrock conversion). I've got a biopace crankset so I'm going to replace that.

MikeyC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DirkSSter
    Welcome to the world of SS. I am a relatively new to SS and had similar experiences to yours after I converted my Stumpjumper.

Your bike brings back some old memories....I can't believe you still had it laying around. The one thing that scares me are those old pedals with the cages...those things kept me in a death grip a few times too many way back when.

Love your studded tires. Living in SoCal only gives us the opportunity to ride in snow once in a great while (this year was one of them).

A word of warning regarding your last statement:

"I?m not going to give up my gearie (yet), but I am going to build up a new steel SS with a suspension fork and disks. I wanna try and keep it low budget, so I?m thinking about the Zion EBB."

I too thought about building a low budget steel SS from scratch....I even considered the Zion EBB. Nothing against the Zion, but somehow I got so caught up in the excitement that I went for a full custom bike. So - if you want to go low budget, keep the wallet at home! Maybe you have more will power than I do...good luck.

Dirk
    Yeah, brought back memories for me too. I'm glad I kept it. It's great to ride the ol' stumpy again. I ride flat pedals in the winter so I can wear warm shoes. I just got some power grips so I can lose the clips. Meanwhile I keep 'em loose.

Snow riding is a blast. Normally we're out on the snowmobile trails by now, but it's been a non-winter so far in CNY.

I appreciate your warning. I've been drooling over some of the customs and I don't know if I'll be able to "settle" for a Zion. What did you build?

MikeyC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Congrats! Fun little snow bike.
    Did you file out the vertical stays in the horizontal dropouts or just leave them as is? Are those the original crankarms as well?

I'm working on a similar project (specialized hardrock conversion). I've got a biopace crankset so I'm going to replace that.
    I didn't do any filing in the drops. Do you mean the piece of metal that separates the horizontal drop from the round hole behind it? Is that something you could do to get more adjustment? I was able to get good chain tension with any of the gear combinations I tried.

I think they are the original crank arms. I've got some biopace rings hanging around too, but I don't think they came on the Stumpy. I hate to admit it, but I might have actually "upgraded" to biopace. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fueled by Wahoo's
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC
    What did you build?

A Seven...

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC
    I didn't do any filing in the drops. Do you mean the piece of metal that separates the horizontal drop from the round hole behind it? Is that something you could do to get more adjustment? I was able to get good chain tension with any of the gear combinations I tried.

I think they are the original crank arms. I've got some biopace rings hanging around too, but I don't think they came on the Stumpy. I hate to admit it, but I might have actually "upgraded" to biopace. :-)
    Yes, you can saw/file it out so that you have a longer vertical dropout. But if your tension is fine, then there you go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    a cohort of mine did the same thing to his rockopper - filed out the gap to extend the drops. works like a champ.